Rotella T6 5w40 in my '03 540i and '88 325i???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: KenO
Where did all of the T6 hate come from for the BMW engines? M50/S52's call for LL-01 as well, don't they? There's absolutely no way in [censored] you'd catch me dead running ANY 5W-30 oil in a BMW, LL-01 or not. We've run T6 for years and years in LOTS of NA & turbo'd track cars. I've never, ever seen or heard of an oil related failure on any of them, and road course racing is probably one of the highest levels of abuse on these engines in this part of the US, especially when they oil starve in high-G cornering!

Hold your pants on, nobody is "hating" on T6, they are simply saying that M1 0w-40 is more appropriate for an LL-01 application. That doesn't equate to hatred of the non-approved product.

Your point about 5w-30 doesn't really make sense to me though. The LL-01 5w-30 lubricants all have an HTHS >=3.5cP, which puts them in basically the same league as the 40-weights here. Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 has the same HTHS as M1 0w-40 at 3.8cP, which isn't a whole heck of a lot higher than the minimum for the Euro specs of 3.5cP, and if D1 is similar, you can bet your pants that T6 is as well, since it and D1 have the same target market and meet most of the same performance requirements and carry the same approvals.

And I'm sorry but your anecdotes about lack of failure with T6 don't mean that it is a better choice here. Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, Audi....etc I'm sure do far, FAR more track engine testing than any of us and when validating approved lubricants, they've probably done more of it in the last year than the cumulation of everybody on here has participated in during their lifetimes.

Again, I'm not saying T6 is in any way a bad lubricant. But I fail to see any compelling reason to use it over the readily available approved lubricant for this application.

Oh, and no, both of those engines (M50/S52) pre-date LL-01. It was the M52TU that would have spec'd it.

Well, the way both of OP's threads have gone seems to put a lot of fear mongering in NOT using an LL-01 approved oil. While yes, LL-01 approved oils are quite robust - he's NOT going to do damage in a daily driver by not using something thats not LL-01. Thats like telling everfybody that uses Redline that they're going to have issues simply because Redline doesn't bother with most OEM approvals.

OP's question, however, wasn't whats best - it was if he can run 1 lube for all 3 applications, and yes, yes he can. And I didn't state anything about any lubricant being a BETTER choice. However, 'better choice' doens't answer OP's question. Is T6 safe to use in both of his other engines, to only stock 1 oil on the shelf? Absolutely, without a doubt, I foresee 0 ill effects. Maybe OP wants to be able to buy something in bulk, and in that case, a single lubricant also absolutely makes sense. [censored], I know fo a number of local indy's that don't put anything other than GTX 20W-50 in most BMW or Merc engines, and I don't see them going out of business due to failed engines either.

Last edited:
[censored], I know fo a number of local indy's that don't put anything other than GTX 20W-50 in most BMW or Merc engines, and I don't see them going out of business due to failed engines either.

No, however that wouldn't give me a great deal of faith in their abilities either. A shop using a non-approved lubricant in a vehicle that is possibly under warranty and REQUIRES an approved fluid is demonstrating inexcusable ignorance.

[censored], I know fo a number of local indy's that don't put anything other than GTX 20W-50 in most BMW or Merc engines, and I don't see them going out of business due to failed engines either.

No, however that wouldn't give me a great deal of faith in their abilities either. A shop using a non-approved lubricant in a vehicle that is possibly under warranty and REQUIRES an approved fluid is demonstrating inexcusable ignorance.

Doubtful they do much service work on cars that are in warranty. Remember, thats all covered by BMW now, except for the enthusiests that ignore BMW's newer silly maintenance schedules.

Doubtful they do much service work on cars that are in warranty. Remember, thats all covered by BMW now, except for the enthusiests that ignore BMW's newer silly maintenance schedules.

There are a surprising number of those out there if you frequent the BMW message boards
wink.gif

I change my oil far more frequently than my OLM dictates and based on the one UOA I've had so far, my OLM is not accounting for the cold weather fuel dilution that it should be. Which means changing it early isn't a bad thing
smile.gif

There are a surprising number of those out there if you frequent the BMW message boards
wink.gif

I change my oil far more frequently than my OLM dictates and based on the one UOA I've had so far, my OLM is not accounting for the cold weather fuel dilution that it should be. Which means changing it early isn't a bad thing
smile.gif

Maybe so, but not a lot of them are taking the car to the shop to get that oil change done, sans cars that need a GT1 or whatever the new scan tool is to set the oil level. One of them was telling me about the ~$20k or so they had to spend to be able to do brakes on a new F30, it apparently connects with a central BMW server and resets & cycles the ABS & traction control systems when doing a brake job - they had to buy it because they had a car come to them for rear brakes that left a tire shop because the tire shop couldn't do it!! Point is, the large majority of cars a Euro indy is going to work on are going to be cars out of warranty. Your logic is slightly flawed there. That, of all things, is not even on my radar of something I'd look at for not letting a shop touch my car, and I'm one of the most anally rententative people I know, there's 2, maybe 3 people tops in Atlanta I would EVER let touch my car. If for some strange reason I can't fix it, I'll call one of them. If they can't get it in (or come to my house - one is my old roommate, former BMW mastertech,a rguably the best BMW tech in Atlanta) - it either sits, or I do more research and/or buy more tools to do it myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: StuDawg
Can we not compare an SL or SM or SN oil to an LL01 oil? And then considering T6 is SM rated, makes some conclusions from that?

Didn't OVERKILL already do this for you above? API SL/SM/SN are fairly weak specs compared to most Euro specs such as BMW LL-01, as you can see.

The baseline for LL-01 spec is ACEA A3/B4, but then there are some additional BMW engine specific tests that are performed on top of that.

Yeah he did and T6 is better than LL01 in both the specs I can see. Im trying to figure out what makes an oil meet LL01 and be above and beyond an SL or SM or SN, if there is in fact a difference.

OP's question, however, wasn't whats best - it was if he can run 1 lube for all 3 applications, and yes, yes he can. And I didn't state anything about any lubricant being a BETTER choice. However, 'better choice' doens't answer OP's question. Is T6 safe to use in both of his other engines, to only stock 1 oil on the shelf? Absolutely, without a doubt, I foresee 0 ill effects. Maybe OP wants to be able to buy something in bulk, and in that case, a single lubricant also absolutely makes sense.

Thank you for clarifying that for me!

Agreed. First and foremost, give the engines what they need, not what will make your life easier.

This is what Im trying to get to. I havent seen anything to make me think that what will make my life easier and what my engine needs are NOT the same thing.

Now I know the viscosity may be a little thicker, but Im in South Carolina, if I were in Canada, that might be an issue. But if I can find (or someone shows me) one specific ingredient/additive/measure/whatever that the T6 does not have enough of relative to what the engineers said the M62TU needs to run optimally, I will probably not run it. And Im not talking about ratings like SL, Cj4+$$$ approvals, recommendations blah blah blah, Im talking about specific amounts of zinc, or HTHS, etc....measurable differences. If it measures up, then the rest of this is all just semantics.

Can we not compare an SL or SM or SN oil to an LL01 oil? And then considering T6 is SM rated, makes some conclusions from that?

Didn't OVERKILL already do this for you above? API SL/SM/SN are fairly weak specs compared to most Euro specs such as BMW LL-01, as you can see.

The baseline for LL-01 spec is ACEA A3/B4, but then there are some additional BMW engine specific tests that are performed on top of that.

Yeah he did and T6 is better than LL01 in both the specs I can see. Im trying to figure out what makes an oil meet LL01 and be above and beyond an SL or SM or SN, if there is in fact a difference.

If you are confused as to what makes LL-01 stand above and beyond SN in that graph you obviously aren't interpreting it correctly.

And I'm not sure how you are drawing any conclusions regarding T6 in that respect since it wasn't included in that graph, I've seen no tool that can contrast T6 against LL-01, and since T6 hasn't been run by BMW against LL-01, we have no idea how it fairs.

Maybe so, but not a lot of them are taking the car to the shop to get that oil change done, sans cars that need a GT1 or whatever the new scan tool is to set the oil level. One of them was telling me about the ~$20k or so they had to spend to be able to do brakes on a new F30, it apparently connects with a central BMW server and resets & cycles the ABS & traction control systems when doing a brake job - they had to buy it because they had a car come to them for rear brakes that left a tire shop because the tire shop couldn't do it!!

Doesn't surprise me at all (and that F30 would be under warranty
wink.gif
)

Quote:
Point is, the large majority of cars a Euro indy is going to work on are going to be cars out of warranty.

Never said that they were the majority, I was replying to your statement that they use 20w-50 in them, which, if it is a newer car that calls for LL-01, pretty ridiculous.

Quote:
Your logic is slightly flawed there.

Don't think my logic is flawed sir. I think my point was quite clear.

Quote:
That, of all things, is not even on my radar of something I'd look at for not letting a shop touch my car,

So if they don't know enough to follow the OEM recommendations for lubricants, that doesn't raise a red flag for you? I guess we have different criteria as to what constitutes competency in that regard.

Quote:
and I'm one of the most anally rententative people I know, there's 2, maybe 3 people tops in Atlanta I would EVER let touch my car.

Yeah, I'm the same way, hence the reason I obsess about lubricant selection and choice (and subsequently am on this site
wink.gif
)

Quote:
If for some strange reason I can't fix it, I'll call one of them. If they can't get it in (or come to my house - one is my old roommate, former BMW mastertech,a rguably the best BMW tech in Atlanta) - it either sits, or I do more research and/or buy more tools to do it myself.

Knowing a BMW master tech would definitely be a good asset to have at your disposal
thumbsup2.gif

I'm in the same boat with respect to what you've described here. Do much/most of it myself, it only goes to a shop if it absolutely needs to. And that's why I have a pretty decent selection of tools
cheers3.gif

Agreed. First and foremost, give the engines what they need, not what will make your life easier.

This is what Im trying to get to. I havent seen anything to make me think that what will make my life easier and what my engine needs are NOT the same thing.

Now I know the viscosity may be a little thicker, but Im in South Carolina, if I were in Canada, that might be an issue. But if I can find (or someone shows me) one specific ingredient/additive/measure/whatever that the T6 does not have enough of relative to what the engineers said the M62TU needs to run optimally, I will probably not run it. And Im not talking about ratings like SL, Cj4+$$$ approvals, recommendations blah blah blah, Im talking about specific amounts of zinc, or HTHS, etc....measurable differences. If it measures up, then the rest of this is all just semantics.

Sounds to me like you are just looking for a way to justify running the T6. If that's the case, run the T6. I don't really care what you run, we are simply advising you that you'd likely be better served running a lubricant that is approved for the application. Since you don't really seem to care about that and just want the convenience of running one oil in everything, then just do it. We can let this thread die.

Quote:
That, of all things, is not even on my radar of something I'd look at for not letting a shop touch my car,

So if they don't know enough to follow the OEM recommendations for lubricants, that doesn't raise a red flag for you? I guess we have different criteria as to what constitutes competency in that regard

I'm in the same boat with respect to what you've described here. Do much/most of it myself, it only goes to a shop if it absolutely needs to. And that's why I have a pretty decent selection of tools
cheers3.gif

Only thing I'll contest here - The BMW dealer (or BMW, for that matter) isn't always right, and doens't always have our best interests at heart. They have 100k mile catalyst warranties to worry about, CAFE fuel standards, stupid consumer reports readers to appease (which, btw, was the original reason for the dealer-paid service, as well as the extension of a majority of the fluid services & changes, lower cost of ownership to score better amongst people that for w/e reason use consumer reports to buy a car...), constant HPFP problems, building cars that answer questions that nobody asked, etc. The 20W-50 was an example. They put it in my M52b28 when my Ti was in there getting smoke tested to find some vacuum leaks that for the life of me I couldn't find. Not sure if they run that on the newer cars as well or not, but I know they absolutely don't even consider the 5W-30.

Last edited:

Quote:

So if they don't know enough to follow the OEM recommendations for lubricants, that doesn't raise a red flag for you? I guess we have different criteria as to what constitutes competency in that regard

cheers3.gif

Only thing I'll contest here - The BMW dealer (or BMW, for that matter) isn't always right, and doens't always have our best interests at heart. They have 100k mile catalyst warranties to worry about, CAFE fuel standards, etc. The 20W-50 was an example. They put it in my M52b28 when my Ti was in there getting smoke tested to find some vacuum leaks that for the life of me I couldn't find. Not sure if they run that on the newer cars as well or not, but I know they absolutely don't even consider the 5W-30.

From what I've seen the BMW 5w-30 is a reasonably robust oil, somewhat similar to the much coveted GC
21.gif

I think M1 0w-40 is a vastly BETTER oil than BMW 5w-30, as it meets Porsche and MB specs too, but I don't think that makes the BMW 5w-30 a lesser oil than some conventional 20w-50, LOL!
grin.gif

Also of note is that the BMW 5w-30 is heavy enough (HTHS above 3.5cP) that CAFE I don't think is much of a worry. It's not like we are talking about TGMO here, LOL
wink.gif

I've seen some varnish as a product of the BMW 5w-30 being run at extended drains. But I have no doubt in my mind that you'd have epic sludge if you attempted the same thing with a basic 20w-50. There's some relativity there.

Note that I'm not saying that BMW 5w-30 is awesome sauce or anything like that. But I DO think it is a better choice for your average BMW from the LL-98 and LL-01 era than an OTS 20w-50.

Everything that I've ever seen that has ran the BMW 5W-30 for any length of time (multiple changes, not necessarily extended drains, but some certainly were) either became massive oil burners, or had large amounts of lifter tick. As far as the sludge monsters go.....no idea there. Depends what the stealers in aprticular were using for oil. As long as BMW recommends for drains, I have a feeling not all of those cars were running an oil capable of such long drain intervals either. How many of those heavily sludged cars we saw an epidemic of there was caused by the 5W-30 I don't think we'll ever know.

Everything that I've ever seen that has ran the BMW 5W-30 for any length of time (multiple changes, not necessarily extended drains, but some certainly were) either became massive oil burners, or had large amounts of lifter tick. As far as the sludge monsters go.....no idea there. Depends what the stealers in aprticular were using for oil. As long as BMW recommends for drains, I have a feeling not all of those cars were running an oil capable of such long drain intervals either. How many of those heavily sludged cars we saw an epidemic of there was caused by the 5W-30 I don't think we'll ever know.

My sister's 330i has a bit of varnish and was run at OLM intervals on the BMW 5w-30. It makes no noises and burns no oil however. It now runs M1 0w-40.

I agree that BMW was overly optimistic with their OLM programming and lubricant selection. Though I do wonder if all the dealers were actually using the correct oil, much like the VW situation where it was discovered that the spec'd oil that was required for use at the drain intervals dictated wasn't actually what was being put in the cars
crazy2.gif
Though I think that's what you were digging at, correct?

Anyways, my point is that I don't think the BMW 5w-30 is a bad oil. But I don't think it is necessarily a great oil either. There are better choices like M1 0w-40, PU 5w-40....etc that carry the BMW endorsement.

Well, the way both of OP's threads have gone seems to put a lot of fear mongering in NOT using an LL-01 approved oil.

I'm not so sure of there being a lot of fear mongering. Given the price of approved lubricants in the States, there isn't a lot of reason to deviate to another synthetic. Now, if it were up here, where my Delvac 1 5w-40 is half the price of normal retail synthetics (and Rotella is significantly cheaper than M1 0w-40), it would be worth a shot, particularly for an out of warranty vehicle.

You have to be cautious when using the Lubrizol tool, and when doing so, you definitely cannot readily compare diesel specifications to gasoline specifications. Aside from Overkill's explanation of the difference between LL01 and SN, there are other important differences. You can have everything from 0w-20 all the way to the thickest monogrades with SN approval. LL01 calls for other things, including a minimum TBN and an HTHS of >= 3.5

Generally speaking, there are ways and reasons to go outside of specifications, and there are ways to not do it. Truth be told, T6 would be a good option if there were a real financial reason to do so. I would consider it a reasonable out of spec choice. But, you get a five litre jug of M1 0w-40 for less than what our Walmarts charge for two litres of the stuff.

Then, there are bad ways to go out of spec. Putting 20w-50 in a newer BMW, as some shops do, would be a bad idea. Just because shops do it doesn't make it a good idea. Heck, how many VW/Audi shops put in non-specified oil? Now I know why Castrol pushes the OE line - dealerships cannot tell the difference between GC and GTX, let alone GC and Syntec 5w-30.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This is a good point.
If you can use an oil that meets BMW's recommended specs for the same money as one that doesn't, then why wouldn't you?
If there are no cost savings involved in using T6 instead of M1 0W-40, and there aren't, then why bother?
Walmart will sell you all the M1 0W-40 you want for twenty five bucks a jug, or you can buy smaller jugs of T6 for around twenty bucks.
Use T6 in those BMWs if you want to.
It certainly won't cause any harm.
For the same money, I'd use the M1 myself.

I used to run T6 in my son's X3, but when the price dropped on M1 0W-40 I switched...

If you are confused as to what makes LL-01 stand above and beyond SN in that graph you obviously aren't interpreting it correctly.

And I'm not sure how you are drawing any conclusions regarding T6 in that respect since it wasn't included in that graph, I've seen no tool that can contrast T6 against LL-01, and since T6 hasn't been run by BMW against LL-01, we have no idea how it fairs.

Ok, let me say again, the table next to the graph shows that LL01 has a HTHS number greater than 3.5; T6 HTHS number is around 4.

The table next to the graph also shows that LL01 has a sulfated ash number of below 1.5. T6's is 1.

I didnt get T6s numbers from the graph or the table.

Sounds to me like you are just looking for a way to justify running the T6. If that's the case, run the T6. I don't really care what you run, we are simply advising you that you'd likely be better served running a lubricant that is approved for the application. Since you don't really seem to care about that and just want the convenience of running one oil in everything, then just do it. We can let this thread die.

On the contrary my friend, Im just looking for a good reason NOT to run the T6, one that is substantiated with facts and hard numbers. So far, nobody has been able to provide that.

Anyways, my point is that I don't think the BMW 5w-30 is a bad oil. But I don't think it is necessarily a great oil either. There are better choices like M1 0w-40, PU 5w-40....etc that carry the BMW endorsement.

As I stated earlier, those oils no longer carry the BMW endorsement. I say again, the only oil endorsed by BMW is BMW 5w30, except for M cars where a Castrol oil is on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back