Rotella T6 5W40, 6,480 mi, 2015 Ford Explorer 3.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella T6 5W40 UOA on a 2015 Ford Explorer 3.5l Duratec V6 w/10,080 miles. 6,480 mile run. Daily-driven with 50/50 city/highway driving in southeast US climate.

Yes. We were using it in some vehicles and after showing customers the results, a few other wanted to try it out in their own. I figured i'd send off the samples to get some trend data built up for it.

Thanks for posting these all at once. That made it very easy to compare the final viscosities, which ranged from a low of 9.22 to a high of 15.52 @100 C. Those two figures are suspicious, but the remaining four form a pretty tight group. That final viscosity appears to be far more dependent upon the engine than the mileage.

DARN GOOD POINT SIR
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Out of curiosity, what is hoped to be gained by using a non-specified oil?

It was at the customers request. He's a die-hard T6 fanatic.

Originally Posted By: GermanAutohaus

It seems that it may not be a bad choice. Or actually it really doesn
t make much difference until the point of failure I.E. too thick on an oil for freezing starts or too thin of an oil for extreme heal/load.

Me, too. I purchased a 1986 F150 with the 5.0 over 9 years ago. I ran Castrol GTX in it for the first few oil changes, then wound up trying the T6. It literally ended up stopping the small oil leaks and I'm not even sure if it uses 1/4 of a quart in 5,000 miles. It was going through a quart every 1,000 miles. I'm not even exaggerating. The original owner (I'm the second owner) used Kendall conventional oil in it. The Rotella T6 is still cleaning the gunk that Kendall created/left behind.

Originally Posted By: CT8
It seems that it may not be a bad choice. Or actually it really doesnt make much difference until the point of failure I.E. too thick on an oil for freezing starts or too thin of an oil for extreme heal/load.
What about ZDDP poisoning of the cat? I thought this was a topic posted more than once on this site? In addition, the 3.5L is a TiVCT engine, now whether or not thicker than specified oils will cause a problem with that system will not be known for some time in the future. For the cost of T6 there are plenty of other approved oils that will work just as well.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
[Me, too. I purchased a 1986 F150 with the 5.0 over 9 years ago. I ran Castrol GTX in it for the first few oil changes, then wound up trying the T6. It literally ended up stopping the small oil leaks and I'm not even sure if it uses 1/4 of a quart in 5,000 miles. It was going through a quart every 1,000 miles. I'm not even exaggerating. The original owner (I'm the second owner) used Kendall conventional oil in it. The Rotella T6 is still cleaning the gunk that Kendall created/left behind.
Huge difference between a small block Ford V-8 and this family of engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back