Rotella T6 5w-40 @ 2.2k miles; 2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5L with mods

Hello folks,

Looking for additional insight on what might be happening here. So far I've observed no glitter in the oil, noises, or low oil pressure light. According to Blackstone's recommendations these are things I should be looking for based on high iron readings. The oil was run below the "low" mark on the dipstick once (forgot an o-ring on the dipstick tube during oil pan reinstall.

Appreciate all the input in advance.

Attachments

• 2202.jpg
    2202.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 451
2005 Subaru Legacy GT. It has a VF52 with supporting mods and tune, also an aftermarket oil pick up tube (stock is known to crack), oil baffle, and oil pan. The stock block is generally known to handle up to 350whp. My car makes 290whp/330wtq. The banjo filters supplying oil to the turbo have been known to clog, so those filters have been removed as well. These mods already existed on past analyses that read within the normal range.

Hmmmm… I suspect that she may just blow up soon. That’s quite the metallic soup she’s making there. Very strange. 🤔

I suspect your oil pump may not be adequate for this engine with the mods, what is the oil pressure at idle and 5K rpm? It looks like the bearings may be taking a beating.
Oil pressure at startup idle is 95psi and goes down to 30psi once oil reaches 175f. At 5k rpm and 175f the pressure reaches 95psi.
Your 16 y/o engine might be shot. Is it the original?
Yes, it is the original. I was hoping with my reliability mods this one could have lasted longer, but I did let the oil get low once and taken it to a few track days. By low I mean the oil went below the "low" mark on the dipstick but still visible. It was right after I changed the oil pan and forgot to put an o-ring on the dipstick tube. Looks like a new short block may be on the horizon. I will post my next UOA in 2,000 miles.

Tuning Alliance based in Connecticut, they dyno tuned the car back in 2015 immediately after I drove her from CA back to NY. I should hasten to add that this car has seen a few track days so it's likely I was just expecting too much out of this engine. Old dyno sheet attached for your enjoyment.

Attachments

• ta_tune_vs_old_tune_hp_tqjpg_Page1.jpg
    ta_tune_vs_old_tune_hp_tqjpg_Page1.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Ah, thank you. The car was throwing a P0172 (rich) code when I sent in the analysis. I looked into this and found the MAF was very dirty. I've since cleaned it up and the code has not returned.

If you're planning to keep the car I would recommend taking it to EFI Logics in Bethel.

A buddy of mine, who also had an '05 LGT, has some issues with a rebuild in NJ. He went to EFI to have them fix the problems and he ended up with a reliable 400 whp car. These engines are usually tuned rich for safety, but that's just a bit too much fuel IMO.

that viscosity looks great but with those wear metals and flashpoint i'd be of the opinion you're washing it down with fuel. what size injectors are on there? any fuel additives or ethanol?

that viscosity looks great but with those wear metals and flashpoint i'd be of the opinion you're washing it down with fuel. what size injectors are on there? any fuel additives or ethanol?

No fuel additives or ethanol. In post #13 I mentioned a dirty MAF which might be causing higher than normal fuel levels in the oil. I've since taken care of that. I've attached an old UOA which shows flashpoint at 370f and 0.8% fuel. Will 3.5% fuel make that big a difference in wear? Thanks for the input, you are the second person to mention the fuel now. It seems this is something I need to pay closer attention to.

If you're planning to keep the car I would recommend taking it to EFI Logics in Bethel.

A buddy of mine, who also had an '05 LGT, has some issues with a rebuild in NJ. He went to EFI to have them fix the problems and he ended up with a reliable 400 whp car. These engines are usually tuned rich for safety, but that's just a bit too much fuel IMO.

Thank you, I do plan on keeping the car. EFI has a good reputation. I'm intrigued by claims MotoIQ has made about WPC treatment on motor longevity.

Attachments

• 2110.jpg
    2110.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
seen it only mentioned once in this thread, but your potassium levels are so high i'd be convinced you have a headgasket leak as well as big end bearing damage. unfortunately not uncommon on the EJ255 or any of the 2.5's for that matter. good news, i guess, is the aftermarket is rich with choices on replacement short blocks and you've already covered all the quality supporting oiling mods to move over to that.

what kind of knock count is your tune showing? these engines are prone to, and senstive to knock if they aren't fueled carefully and tuned well, and because of their relatively small crank bearing cross section any knock can really pound the big end bearings to death (along with the ringlands, but you're probably already aware). this, combined with a habit for oil consumption and oil level getting low, has claimed many a 2.5 block including a friend of mine with a Forester XT.

sorry for the not-uplifting post but i think if i were in your shoes, given the reputation these engines have when pushed, consider this UOA a gift of early warning and stop driving it before the bearing wear ends up trashing your turbo and heads, which you can transfer to a new shortblock.

FWIW, if its any consolation, this is coming from a past 2.5RS owner. i had to upgrade to MLS head gaskets at 88k miles due to the stockers leaking, and was looking at probably needing a new center diff when it was finally totaled by a rear-ending at 135k. that said, i beat the piss out of that car and it even won me a regional rallycross trophy against some turbo competition.

what kind of knock count is your tune showing? these engines are prone to, and senstive to knock if they aren't fueled carefully and tuned well, and because of their relatively small crank bearing cross section any knock can really pound the big end bearings to death (along with the ringlands, but you're probably already aware). this, combined with a habit for oil consumption and oil level getting low, has claimed many a 2.5 block including a friend of mine with a Forester XT.

sorry for the not-uplifting post but i think if i were in your shoes, given the reputation these engines have when pushed, consider this UOA a gift of early warning and stop driving it before the bearing wear ends up trashing your turbo and heads, which you can transfer to a new shortblock.

FWIW, if its any consolation, this is coming from a past 2.5RS owner. i had to upgrade to MLS head gaskets at 88k miles due to the stockers leaking, and was looking at probably needing a new center diff when it was finally totaled by a rear-ending at 135k. that said, i beat the piss out of that car and it even won me a regional rallycross trophy against some turbo competition.

Thanks for your post. I'm very much of the same mind that this is early warning is a gift. I have been in touch with a few of the reputable tuners in my area (of which there are many in the Northeast) and exploring my options. It's shaping up to be a choice between a Spec RA block or the Stage 2 offerings that exist out there (along with an upgraded oil pump and other supporting mods). I know this is going to sound very silly but I have not been keeping track of knock. Learning to monitor the engine is something that's been on the to-do list that I've never gotten around to. I'll certainly push this to the top of the list now with whatever new engine I get.

Very cool to hear about your 2.5RS experience, sad to hear it was rear-ended. They remain beautiful cars (just saw one the other day). I'd love to get involved with rallycross someday - I did spend 5 days at Team O'Neil a few years ago.

Back