Rotella T5 in all my vehicles, soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm going to try to keep things simple for a little while. It will be a bit more costly, but what the hay.

Rotella T5 10w-30 in the following:

1996 Geo Metro 1.3L (put in 2 weeks ago)
2002 F250 7.3L (deciding and still pondering)
2008 Nissan Altima 2.5L (in about 4 weeks)

If I could only get it in 5 qt jugs, that would make things REALLY simple!

I'm still trying to convince myself that my new 2002 7.3L with 42k miles will be ok with the 30wt!

Thoughts, opinions?
RL

I've been running the "regular" R-T 10W30 in a Ford 6.9L diesel pickup and a Ford tractor for some time now (the 6.9 is the PSD's older, smokier IDI ancestor). I think if you look in your owners manual, you will find 10W30 on the viscosity chart of your PSD truck. There are some caveats, of course, most related to operations in very hot weather or with extended heavy loads. If the temp chart in the owners manual generally fits your situation, it should be fine. A number of people on the board are running 10W30 in late model diesels, dnewton for one, who has it in a Duramax.

I think I'm going to give it a shot in the next week or so. I don't tow much, but our summers here in Louisiana can peak at some days 95-99 degrees, that's the only thing that slightly concerns me.

I can't recall the temperature suggestion in my owner's manual for the use of 10w-30, but it is lower than the 15w-40.

RL

i have an '89 & '90 idi that i am running 10w-30 in, its the preferred viscosity according to the owners manual.

i don't know the specifics of a late model 7.3, i do know its listed in the manual.

i'm running the deere plus 50 10w-30 and according to them its good to 104 f ambient temp., i'm also running it in my 07 6.0 year around with a sample coming within 6 weeks or so

I like a 40 grade in the 7.3 Powerstroke in the summer unless you are mostly running shorter trips. That engine design can really shear an oil. I'd hate to end up with a 20 grade at the end of the oil change, especially in hot weather.

That's what I'm using in my '92 Chevy p/up. Was a little too thin for my Caddy though, so I'm using Delo 15w-40 until I come across some heavier weight T5 (15w/40?).

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
I like a 40 grade in the 7.3 Powerstroke in the summer unless you are mostly running shorter trips. That engine design can really shear an oil. I'd hate to end up with a 20 grade at the end of the oil change, especially in hot weather.

There you go, busting my bubble!!!

Originally Posted By: Rumble
That's what I'm using in my '92 Chevy p/up. Was a little too thin for my Caddy though, so I'm using Delo 15w-40 until I come across some heavier weight T5 (15w/40?).

Rotella T5 can be found at Tractor Supply in 10w-40

Originally Posted By: FiremarshalRob
Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy

There you go, busting my bubble!!!

Originally Posted By: Rumble

Rotella T5 can be found at Tractor Supply in 10w-40

Let me bust another bubble ...

PSDs only tend to shear thick oil. If you feed the PSD 10w-30, it will likely not shear much, if at all. I've seen this in what few UOAs exist with PSDs fed a 30 grade. It's my suspicion, backed up with a bit of anecdotal evidence, that the HEUI simply prefers the lighter grade oil. If you don't put it in, and use a 40 grade instead, it will chew it down to a 30 grade. But I've seen UOAs where a 10w-30 stays in grade in a PSD.

The wear metals in the UOAs suggest that the lighter grade was of no consequence. So, regardless if the oil shears, and the wear is not affected, why worry about it?

Further, the HEUI certainly starts up and runs a bit "better" with a thinner grade; I can personally attest to this when I ride in my neighbors 6.0L PSD. This is more of an issue in winter, so you may have little concern for this in LA, as opposed to us being in IN.

I use dino 10w-30 Rotella in my Dmax (not known to shear oil) and really use it hard when pulling my travel trailer in summer. It was 101 deg F one day in SD when I was running westbound, into a headwind, on I-90. I suspect 10w-30 can take the heat in LA.

The only potential issue might be that of a wee bit more evaporation. You may have to top-off just a tiny bit more, or not at all, depending upon your OCI duration.

I think you'd be very pleasntly supprised with the performance of 10w-30 in your 7.3L PSD, especially with a semi-syn. I would certainly make your garage stock supply a bit simplier.

As for your other two vehicles, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. As warm as you get in summer, and not that cold in winter, a 10w-30 vs a 5w-30 isn't really a huge issue. Again, the simplicity of the garage stock might make more sense than fretting over the "winter" rating here (5w vs 10w). They both are a 30 grade at full temp.

You can run some of your own UOAs and let us know. Sometimes, rather than live vicariously through others, we have to be the guinea pigs ourselves. I'm thought of as a heretic by some for running dino 10w-30 Rotella in my Dmax, but the proof outweighs others opinions! (Actually, this stuff is in my 1966 Mustang, my Goldwing, my Dmax, my Kubota tractor ...)

I hereby grant you permission to try it, and sleep well at night.

Last edited:
I run the Shell Rotella T5 for the past 3 oil changes and my 6.0 PSD just loves it, runs so much better than 15w40 and even the mobil 1 TDT 5w40 I used a year ago.

Shell T5 all the way

I'm moving that way too, and I don't own a diesel. I have T5 in the Legacy GT and lawn mower now. The GMC 350 gets it this weekend, and the snow blower at the next change. The only vehicle/engine that I won't be using it in is the Triumph Bonneville. That one calls for a 15W-50 synthetic.

Ed

Its been in my wife's altima 2.5 for one week now, been in my 96 geo metro for one month now, and in my 02 7.3L PSD now for about one month. So far so good.

I'm sure the MC 15w-40 may be a little advantageous for those doing constant heavy pulling during these extreme hot summers here in Louisiana, but I don't.

It will be my winter oil for sure!

RL

I am thinking about the 7.3 powerstroke I have run 5w-40 in it and There in not much difference during winter starts in Redding Calif as the record low is 17*f and the truck is garaged. In the manual I think 10w-30 is recommended up to 80* or 90*f I am temped to try either the 10w-30/40 T5. FiremarshalRob keep us informed on how the 30 wt work out.

I have been using a syn blend from my local oil supplier under their label for some time, that their VP told me was basically Rotella T5. It is doing a great job in my '06 Cummins ISX. And at $9 a gallon, delivered, it is very cost effective.

Years ago it was straight 30wt in the cummins and 40 wt in the Detroit 2 strokes. Then 15w40 came out for the Cummins and it was good ,longer engine life and easier starting. Now are the engines going back to a 10w-30?

As long as the oil meets Cummins CES20081 (for the newest engines) or CES 20076 or CES 20077 for the previous EGR engines, 15w40, 5w40, 10w30, and 5w30 ok to use in the ISX 15L engine, with the later only recommended in winter conditions. Per my Cummins ISX owners manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back