Rotella T5 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Shell Rotella T5 10w30 harm catalytic converter in 2001 Sport Trac 4.0 SOHC engine?

The only thing I can think of that would be an issue, or at least worse than other oil choices, is if you were burning tons of oil. In that case i'm not sure it would matter anyway. This is the oil I use in my 3800 vehicles and they don't seem to complain. OEM cats and no money light.

Engine doesn’t burn oil I just happen to have some on hand.
Go on ahead and use it, phos shouldn't cause much of any issue if it's not consuming oil, rotella only contains about 10% more phos than was allowed for in the prevailing API S-rating when your car was released anyways.

Does it have an SP rating. Nope. Does it even have an S rating? Nope. Is the Phosphorus rating lower than 800 ppm? Nope. Will the experts on Bitog bail you out if your Cat goes ? Double Nope. Is this a Bitog Thickie tradition of thinking a HDEO oil is somehow better for a gas engine. Yup.

Does it have an SP rating. Nope. Does it even have an S rating? Nope. Is the Phosphorus rating lower than 800 ppm? Nope. Will the experts on Bitog bail you out if your Cat goes ? Double Nope. Is this a Bitog Thickie tradition of thinking a HDEO oil is somehow better for a gas engine. Yup.
Well I guess I’ll use it in my OPE. Thank you!

It's a 2001, I think his warranty has expired... We "experts" have used HDEO in non-oil burning fleet applications for a long time, and my company just forked over $2000+ to put a pair of cats on my 113K '18 Transit 250 3.7, been burning oil since Day One-NONE of it was HDEO, all 5W20 synthetic blend (mostly MC allegedly). A 2001 4.6 will be SL, NOT SP, and older CJ-4 T5 is actually rated SM!

It's a 2001, I think his warranty has expired... We "experts" have used HDEO in non-oil burning fleet applications for a long time, and my company just forked over $2000+ to put a pair of cats on my 113K '18 Transit 250 3.7, been burning oil since Day One-NONE of it was HDEO, all 5W20 synthetic blend (mostly MC allegedly). A 2001 4.6 will be SL, NOT SP, and older CJ-4 T5 is actually rated SM!
The SP requirements did away of that old tradition of giving out S ratings to oil with over 800 ppm. I believe there was the reason API did that. The world is changing.

The SP requirements did away of that old tradition of giving out S ratings to oil with over 800 ppm. I believe there was the reason API did that. The world is changing.
Nope, mono grades, 15W30, Xw40, Xw50, and Xw60 can exceed 800ppm and still claim SP, only resource conserving grades have a phosphorous limit, and if an HDEO is going to claim a dual rating it must now to adhere to the resource conserving limit even if it's Xw40 which would not typically have to adhere to the phos limit if it were only rated for gasoline engines, so for example Rotella T4 15W40 has like 1100ppm of phos and is principally a CK-4 oil so in order to claim CK-4/SP it'd have to limit itself to 800ppm, however if that same Rotella oil were put in a different bottle and called something else and only claimed SP it could get away with that, assuming it meets all the other SP requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back