Rotella T5 10w30

Double check your container. I'm pretty sure there is the API gasoline rating there somewhere. Unless they changed the containers. I think it was either SM or SL but can't be for certain since I've tossed the jug I had. I just drained that oil out today after a 7,700 mile run but will not be sending it in for analysis.

I have heard of Delo XLE 15w40, there are so many great oils it’s hard to put my
finger any one particular oil.

I ran RP HMX 5w30 last summer. As long as you keep the oil level where it's supposed to be,most engines outlive the rest of the lawnmower.

Wow that’s kinda strange OR99 Delvac, Delo and Super Tech are darn good oils!

Double check your container. I'm pretty sure there is the API gasoline rating there somewhere. Unless they changed the containers. I think it was either SM or SL but can't be for certain since I've tossed the jug I had. I just drained that oil out today after a 7,700 mile run but will not be sending it in for analysis.
The container I have only has those diesel ratings on it

The only Rotellas Shell is labelling with the C and S ratings are the Multi-Vehicle line.

Last edited:
My Honda VFR1200X calls for a 30wt and I just poured this oil in. A 10 mile test ride and the shifts are smooth as silk. My hope is that a 10w30 will shear much less quickly in a shared sump than the 5w40 T6 that I was using.

It used to be that diesel oil had a ton of additives in it, a whole lot of detergents that could foul plugs and clog catalytic converters. But this isn't true any more.
So Rotella T5 10w30 won’t harm my 4.0 Sohc engine or catalytic converter?

If it's burning oil it may kill the cat quicker but you'll probably never even notice, I'm sure the API was mostly driven by the EPA because the purpose is to help extended the life of every single cat on the road and keep them running as efficiently as possible for as long as possible.

The new stuff no. I ran T5 in our old 2008 Hyundai sonata V6 after 100,000. It ran for about 150,000 miles on T5 until a leaky injector did in the engine while my wife's son was driving it.
Never got a P420 code on that car once, which means your catalytic converter is plugging up.

It’s my understanding that Shell removed the gas rating on T5 without changing the formulation. Same goes for the T6. I think this would have been when they changed the container style.

Back