Rotella T5 10w30 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Is it a "friction modified" oil or could it be used in a wet clutch application?

2. Is there any reason to not use it in a car (2005 Impala w/ 3.8 L36) for an extended OCI? (Curious about zinc and the catalytic converter)

Thanks for the input.

I don't believe it has the JASO MA spec on the back of the T5, it is on the T6 5w40. Somebody more familiar with motorcycles will chime in.

I use T5 in my L67 right now and have used T6 in it as well. You should be fine with it in the L36.

Originally Posted By: 04SE
1. Is it a "friction modified" oil or could it be used in a wet clutch application?

It's marketed as an "energy saving" oil. This is typically a code word for a fair amount of friction modifiers, hence, this oil may not be the most wet clutch friendly.

But besides, does your bike even allow the use of Xw-30 oils?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It's marketed as an "energy saving" oil. This is typically a code word for a fair amount of friction modifiers, hence, this oil may not be the most wet clutch friendly.

T5 is not energy conserving. This is partially why I added MMO. Also I added MMO to thin it down some for colder weather.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beast3300
I don't believe it has the JASO MA spec on the back of the T5, it is on the T6 5w40. Somebody more familiar with motorcycles will chime in.

I use T5 in my L67 right now and have used T6 in it as well. You should be fine with it in the L36.

I am thinking hard about using it for 5k-6k in the Impala. My only concern is the zinc content and the catalytic converter. Zinc content is ~1,200.

Honda actually recommends 10w30 across the entire temperature range. I can run 5w30 below like 50*F and they "allow" 10w40 above 90*F.

I am looking to kill two birds with one stone. It seems to be a stout and cost effective oil.

T5 is not energy conserving.

Product brochure has "energy saving" plastered all over it, whatever it means.

"Energy Saving"

Here ya go, guys...

5uiatx.jpg

2ivfvyh.jpg

T5 is not energy conserving.

Product brochure has "energy saving" plastered all over it, whatever it means.

I believe that is just to market T5 in 15w40 applications because it is thinner than 15w40. So of course T5 would use less fuel in a diesel vs 15w40 lmao. T5 has a Cst of 12@100c.

The 3800 will do 5-6k on peanut juice. It is very durable, easy on motor oil kind of engine. You won't have converter problems with T5's zinc.

The Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 demonstrated fuel economy savings of up to 1.6 percent in on-the-road field testing in medium-duty trucks. It also offers extended-drain capability.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
The Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 demonstrated fuel economy savings of up to 1.6 percent in on-the-road field testing in medium-duty trucks.

"...compared to Shell Rotella Triple Protection® 15W-40".

Beast3300 may be right. The energy savings come from running thinner oil, not necessarily from having friction modifiers. I guess there is a difference between "energy saving" and "energy conserving" in the marketing world.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
The Shell Rotella T5 10W-30 demonstrated fuel economy savings of up to 1.6 percent in on-the-road field testing in medium-duty trucks.

"...compared to Shell Rotella Triple Protection® 15W-40".

Beast3300 may be right. The energy savings come from running thinner oil, not necessarily from having friction modifiers. I guess there is a difference between "energy saving" and "energy conserving" in the marketing world.

Correct.

This oil is NOT 'energy conserving' in the API 'S' category - if it were, it would say so on the bottom half of the API donut.

As said, it may well be 'enegy conserving' in diesel applications against other, thicker HDEO oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back