Rotella T1 30w not for high speed engines?

I was going to suggest Ravenol 0w16 because I don't sweat the warranties.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
This is getting out-of-control. Just use an oil that is recommended by the manufacture for the temperature the unit will be used at. A 30 viscosity with an SJ/SL or better rating. Any other oil recommended by our self appointed EXPERTS may void the warranty. Ed

Shell's data sheet is self-contradicting, and not helpful in the least. That sheet at that link states it's suitable for mixed fleet, including gasoline fuelled light trucks and passenger cars. It's ratings are only CF-2, CF, and Detroit Diesel 53, 71, 92.

Under warranty, this is decidedly not an approved lube. It may be suitable for use, but the data sheet doesn't give enough information, since the specifications are insufficient and the few physical and chemical characteristics provided aren't enough to let us know. It says low ash. Do they mean low ash like an E7, E9 type lube (SA of 1.0 or less), which would be more or less suitable? Or, do they mean low ash like a dedicated diesel two stroke oil, which is totally unsuitable? Given the low TBN, it certainly would be disqualified from E7, E9 on that matter alone, but that still doesn't tell us much.

If it were a cheaper piece of equipment, I'd say yes, who cares. For a new generator, I'd exhibit more caution. I would think it would be fine, but we don't know absolutely, and besides, it's not approved in the first place. I run unapproved lubes, but only when I have a lot more information than what's on this product's sheet.

1) That lube carries no gasoline ratings
2) That lube wont damage your generator and will be fine
3) Since you already have it, I'd run it. Use it as a break in oil and change it early.
4) 30 weight oil is NOT an acceptable lube for a generator in a tropical climate. As a former small engine mechanic in Florida, I would never run, recommend, or use, a 30 weight oil, in a generator, in my climate. Ever. Period. With just a small amount of fuel dilution, and a few days past due for an oil change, that oil will easily sheer down to a 20 weight, or thinner.
5) Rule of thumb is change the oil every 50 hours with no oil filter, or 100 hours with an oil filter. Some manufactures double that to 100 hours with no filter, or 200 hours with an oil filter.
6) It is very easy if you are not paying attention, to run the oil well past its service life. No good. Especially not good if you are running a 30 weight oil.
7) I would absolutely, 100% recommend using 15W40 oil for your application. It is robust, cheap, readily available, carries a gasoline rating, and offers ZERO downsides. If it sheers down to a 30, it will offer a lot more margin for safety than a 30 that sheers down to a 20.

SAE 30 is more shear stable than 15W-40. Not to say 15W-40 is a bad recommendation, because it's not, but if everyone is saying run a 40, why not just run SAE 40? Hot climate so no need for cold flow performance. I'm really not trying to cause any problems, but I disagree that 15W-40 is better than a mono grade in this situation.

Originally Posted By: Red91
SAE 30 is more shear stable than 15W-40. Not to say 15W-40 is a bad recommendation, because it's not, but if everyone is saying run a 40, why not just run SAE 40? Hot climate so no need for cold flow performance. I'm really not trying to cause any problems, but I disagree that 15W-40 is better than a mono grade in this situation.

A good HD SAE40 would be a good choice as well. But they are quite hard to find usually. There are new oils being rolled out to address sheer stability, so newer oils should be more sheer stable.

Ok, returned the Rotella, and decided to get some Royal Purple SAE 30 at the local department store that carries it. Got there and they have a whole rack of RP products......everything except SAE 30!! They did have SAE 40 & 50 though. I'm wondering if I can use the 40 instead of the 30.
As I mentioned earlier, we will run the generator almost all year, twice a week, 10 hrs a week, and above 75F, and I think we would be better off with a synthetic, and RP 30 would have been perfect because it's a straight grade like some of you recommended, but of course they didn't carry it.
Will the 40w be too thick for the engine despite the tropical climate?
With it being a pressurized oiling system matter?

Is SAE40 allowed in the owner's manual? You'll want something that is, and be sure to keep receipts. They'll be quick to deny a warranty claim if you use something off-spec.

If it's not a concern, the Royal Purple will be just fine.

Valvoline VR-1 10w-30
Rotella T5 10w-30
Rotella T5 10w-40
Delo 400 SD 15w-30

10w30 synthetic while new - I'd put some hours on it before switching to a thicker truck oil ...
My 12kw calls for a 30 ...

Why would you not use the oil recommended by the manufacturer given that the cost to lubricate these engines is minimal?

I'm guessing that an 18HP V-twin generator isn't a cheap piece of equipment.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Shell ROTELLA® T1 oils are suitable for use in many turbo- and non-turbocharged light/medium-duty diesel-powered trucks and transport operations, including city operations and long-distance service.
Shell ROTELLA® T1 can provide dependable lubrication for small-to-medium-powered agricultural equipment, such as tractors. Also suitable for many low/medium-powered stationary applictions such as diesel-powered water pumps, generators, etc.

Seems like its fine for a diesel generator.

Its not a gasoline rated engine oil however.

I'd probably use a 15w40 oil in a heavily loaded air cooled generator.
most likely will get quite hot.

+1 I would take it back and buy rotella 15w-40. Quality oil that will suit your purpose

Google "oil viscosity chart temperature" and look at the various viscosities and temperatures.

The original post stated 75+ F but did not say how high above 75 the temperature could be.

There are quite a few oils that could be used in this application.

Rotella 15W-40 would be a good choice and a relatively low-cost oil.

Mobil 15W-50 would also be a great choice.

Last edited:
This is resurrecting an older thread...

Rotella T1 SAE30 has a CF2, CF and SL rating based on the gallon jug on the shelf at WalMart today. I tried to find information on Shell's website however the last updated spec sheet seems to be from 2016. I needed to do oil changes on a lawn mower and other small equipment and that's what had me looking.

SL rating would absolutely include high-speed gasoline engines, albeit an older specification.

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but I haven't found anything other than the information in this thread which doesn't seem to be current anymore.

Most lawn equipment specifies API SJ or later. SL came after SJ. Any API before SJ is obsolete. No new car or truck manufacture specifies SAE 30 as an optional grade as of late, so oil companies may not licence them for SM, SN or SP.

CF-2 in a SAE 30 is odd, because 2 stroke GMs specified SAE 40 (and) 15w40 if cold starts below freezing are necessary or if SAE 40 is not available, but switch back to SAE 40 asap.

T-1 will have a modern low ash (SAPS) additive package, not much different than the latest pcmo offerings.

Ironically, Delo 100 SAE 40 CF-2 has the same SA, P, Zn and TBN as their 5W40 SN. (Not the Euro/dexos 5w40)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by HYPER
The Generac engine is a V-twin 18hp...runs at 3600rpm at load, and I would guess that would be high engine speed.
And, you would guess wrong. 3600 RPMs is FAR from high speed. What they are likely referring-to is 6000 or 7000 RPMs. Use the Rotella you bought, it is an outstanding oil for your purpose. It has excellent shear strength and viscosity retention at high heat levels, and will not burn-off nearly as much as a multi weight oil. It is perfect for high heat high load air cooled engines

A mono diesel oil not recommended by Shell as mentioned. Slow and medium speed in fixed diesel engines are really slow. If I was interested in this oil … I'd compare what antifoam tests this oil is subjected to vs the 15w40 and 5w40 Rotella used as Swiss Army knife oils.

Truckers jump in … but aren't many shifting below 2k ?

Last edited:
I didn't go into detail on those specifics as the goal with resurrecting the thread was to say the oil has an SL designation, which when this thread was started it did not.

An SL designation is very suitable for a high revving engine, 6000 and 7000 RPM automobile engines existed in 2001 when this became the current designation.

Whether manufacturers recommend a straight grade in their automobiles in 2001-2004 when SL was the current designation is immaterial. To have the SL designation the oil meets SL requirements with regard to measures of performance.

I do not recall motor oils 20 years ago with an SL rating having issues with foaming. Newer oils may perform better with regard to foaming since that was recently mentioned, but that's not the point of updating this thread.

The big bold words throughout this thread from 2016 stating it is not suitable for gasoline engines are not valid at this point.

Shell's worded recommendation, which has not been updated since 2016 from what I can see on the PDS, is in direct contradiction to the rating on the gallon container in 2020.

I think that goes to show what Shell said was corporate dictated and not an indication of the oils capability. That was pointed out four years ago when the thread started and arms were going up in the air stating dire and death if it was used in a gasoline engine that operated anywhere above a moderate RPM.

Anyhow, this provides updated information and that was the reason for bringing back the thread.

ABA2D2C4-7AFF-405D-BD23-BF44C3BCFB2F.png

That's showing the same thing I find on the product data sheet for SAE30 weight that looks to be dated 2016. Bottom right corner of first page in this screenshot. Look at the bottom edge or bottom right corner of other HDEO product data sheets. There is a date in some form or another.

[Linked Image]

Here's the bottle purchased yesterday, June 20, 2020. SL rated. The bottom of the label (not shown) says "SOPUS 2019". That's the definitive point I'm trying to make.

[Linked Image]

Shell has not updated their website or PDS, nothing more to it than that.

Back