Rotella T synthetic 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I didn't even know this viscosity existed in this oil, until I saw this week's Canadian Tire flyer. Is this a fleet oil or is it formulated for gas engines? Does anyone know more about it?

I shouldn't post before I'm fully awake. I just noticed that the topic is 0w40, so everything I wrote is irrelevant and has been deleted with the edit.

I didn't know Shell made this weight either. Probably just for Canada; I haven't seen it down here.

[ June 07, 2003, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I didn't even know this viscosity existed in this oil, until I saw this week's Canadian Tire flyer. Is this a fleet oil or is it formulated for gas engines? Does anyone know more about it?

Actually, this oil is dual rated as CF/SJ so you can use it for gasoline or compression diesel engines. It is 100% syntehtic.

Specs are here: http://66.46.147.14/code/products/commercial/lubricants/tips/tips-h.pdf. Pick the Rotella T SB selection from the right side of the page to see the spec sheet.

[ June 07, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: CJH ]

Patman, have you seen it on the shelves yet at any CT store??
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Patman, have you seen it on the shelves yet at any CT store??
dunno.gif

I wasn't specifically looking for it before, but tomorrow morning I plan on hitting one or two stores to see if they have it. They are selling the 4L jugs for $23.99 (usual price is $29.99)

I just realized I can't put this oil in either of those two test cars. For one, my wife's gas mileage sucks already, so I don't want it to suffer more. And my mom's car runs too many short trips, and takes more than 4L of oil, so it would make it a pain to use this oil (which is only sold in 4L jugs)

So someone else will have to be the guinea pig.
smile.gif

As it stands now, my test vehicles will be running the following:

My 95 Firebird: currently on 10w30 Schaeffer blend, getting 5w30 Schaffer Blend next interval.

My wife's 2000 Civic: currently running 5w30 Royal Purple, will most likely get 5w30 Mobil 1 next interval.

Mom's 94 Probe GT: currently on 5w30 GTX High Mileage, will most likely get Castrol Formula SLX 0w30 next interval.

Sister's 99 Civic: currently on SLX 0w30, and will continue with it for now.

As soon as I saw that viscosity I immediately thought to myself "hmmm, which of my four test vehicles will get it?"
smile.gif
It won't go in my Firebird, as that's getting nothing but Schaeffer Oil, so I'll have to think about which of the other three vehicles I do oil changes on should get this oil. Actually, the decision is down to two of them, as I'll continue with the 0w30 Syntec in my sister's car, so either my wife's 2000 Civic or my mom's 94 Probe GT might get this oil, maybe. My mind is always subject to change when it comes to oil choices.
smile.gif

Here are the specs of this oil according to the Shell Canada website:

-48C pour point
226C flash point
Viscosity at 40C=86.2 cst
Viscosity at 100C=14.9 cst
CCS is 2800cp at -30C
MRV TP1 is 24,182cp at -40C
Sulfated residue is 1.2%
TBN is 9

I'm heading out the door in 5min to see if I can see this oil at my local Canadian Tire.

Thanks for the specs Patman. They sound pretty good.
By the way I'm still looking for that SLX 0w-30 in the Montreal area to put in the '95 SHO.

I went to my local CT and not only did they not have this oil but there was no spot on the shelf for it either! Strange since it's in the flyer.

I was going to look at another location, but got sidetracked when I ran across a nice new Porsche 911 Turbo and we ended up doing three stoplight races in a row.
burnout.gif
(he kicked my butt by the way!)
smile.gif

[ June 08, 2003, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

As it stands now, my test vehicles will be running the following:

My 95 Firebird: currently on 10w30 Schaeffer blend, getting 5w30 Schaffer Blend next interval.

My wife's 2000 Civic: currently running 5w30 Royal Purple, will most likely get 5w30 Mobil 1 next interval.

Mom's 94 Probe GT: currently on 5w30 GTX High Mileage, will most likely get Castrol Formula SLX 0w30 next interval.

Sister's 99 Civic: currently on SLX 0w30, and will continue with it for now.

Change of plans. I think I'm going to give Redline 5w30 a try in my wife's 2000 Civic. I know it's a very costly oil up here, but I'm only going to need 8 quarts per year for her car (two oil changes worth) and I'm interested in comparing Redline to Royal Purple more than I'm interested in comparing it to Mobil 1. Plus I kind of like the idea of using nothing but "unique and somewhat exotic" oils in my test vehicles. Mobil 1 is too common.
smile.gif

Patman, I saw it at the WalMart at Sherway Gardens (Queensway and 427) again!!! Didn't realize that it's basically marketed as a Diesel oil and probably compares to Delvac 1. As such, it only comes in 4L containers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back