Rotella T Syn 5w40 v/s M1 5w40 or 0w40, cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Land Rover buddy at the office here said that the Rover guys are saying M1 keeps engins cleaner, so he's switchnig to M1 for a cleaner engine from Rotella T Syn. Im not thinking RTS is cleaner, but would think they are dead equal. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Hmmmm I think it is a wash. Both Synthetics do a very good job of keeping the engines clean.

But think about this....Rotella is designed to go long, long in a commercial diesel engine and keep it clean and manage soot.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Hmmmm I think it is a wash. Both Synthetics do a very good job of keeping the engines clean.

But think about this....Rotella is designed to go long, long in a commercial diesel engine and keep it clean and manage soot.

So is M1 TDT 5w40/Delvac 1. Do a search on Doug Hillary.

Thats what Im saying. Unless you put these to enduro track use you wont see a difference and any difference may be simply application difference.

more reason to use this for my track car that runs 11.5:1 AFR in boost. I'm really torn between using this oil on the track because of everyone's uninformed, arm-chair quarterback opinion and the threat or suspicion of foaming with long 4k-7k rpm exposure for 30-minutes at a time. However the UOAs look good.

VOA's I've seen on some Rotella T synthetic have been pretty low on calcium, so it's possible they don't clean as well as the M1.

What engine is this? That's insanely rich even for a turbocharged engine at max load at redline.

Originally Posted By: hustler

more reason to use this for my track car that runs 11.5:1 AFR in boost. I'm really torn between using this oil on the track because of everyone's uninformed, arm-chair quarterback opinion and the threat or suspicion of foaming with long 4k-7k rpm exposure for 30-minutes at a time. However the UOAs look good.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
What engine is this? That's insanely rich even for a turbocharged engine at max load at redline.

a built miata motor running 15psi through a gt2860rs, and the car sees track time. 11.5 is rich, but fat enough to compensate for 10% ethanol and keep EGT under 1300*F.

I'm really torn between using this oil on the track because of everyone's uninformed, arm-chair quarterback opinion and the threat or suspicion of foaming with long 4k-7k rpm exposure for 30-minutes at a time. However the UOAs look good.

Foaming? The turbo Subaru autocrossers seem to love RTS. No complaints about foaming from them. The only possible (rumored?) foaming issue I've ever heard was several years ago in Powerstroke hydraulically actuated/electronically controlled injection systems, and I haven't even heard that recently.

As far as "cleaning" goes, I'd be inclinede to think that M1's PAO base might inherently prevent deposits ever-so-slightly better (probably never detectable in the real world) but that RTS's Group III+ base is a better solvent for additives and might remove existing deposits ever-so-slightly better. Just a wild guess- I really think they're dead equal in every way you'd ever notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back