Rotella T Syn 5W40 For Volvo XC70?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! Just bought a 2002 Volvo xc70 2.4 turbo w/ 98,000 miles and am switching to Rotella T 5w40 synthetic for a good cleaning and there after. Owners manual says 5w40 and this seems like the best that is easily available. Thoughts? P.S- What evers in there now is pretty crusty, kind of like a bullion cube!

Don't worry, that crusty garbage under the oil cap is normal. At least, normal for what I see coming through my bay at work, haha

Rotalla T Synthetic is a great oil and perfectly acceptable for the Volvo. I have never had an issue when using it.

i own a '00 V70 and it can run 5w40/5w30/10w30. have not run a 5w40 yet but really it does not seem necessary for this motor. Mine seems to do well on 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer. you might lose some gas mileage with 5w40.

sounds like your oil in there now is nasty. i'd change it. the 2.4L can get sludged up if neglected (very uncommon w/ 6k or less oci's). and since you have a turbo run synth for sure. rotella is good, if it was my car i'd run the 5w40 once for the cleaning ability of rotella and then switch to maxlife full synth 10w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: matt4270
Hey guys! Just bought a 2002 Volvo xc70 2.4 turbo w/ 98,000 miles and am switching to Rotella T 5w40 synthetic for a good cleaning and there after. Owners manual says 5w40 and this seems like the best that is easily available. Thoughts? P.S- What evers in there now is pretty crusty, kind of like a bullion cube!

I don't know if I'd call it the best, but it's the best bang for the buck and up to the task, imo. The alternatives are rather expensive in comparison.

Wow!Quick responses! Thanks! I will probably stick with the 5/40 for awhile as the mileage thing is not a huge issue, as my last vehicle was a chevy 2500HD 496 Big Block with an Allison trans and a 4:10 rear! (7 around town, 11 on the highway!) This car is like a Prius or VW TDI compared to that thing!!

Originally Posted By: matt4270
Wow!Quick responses! Thanks! I will probably stick with the 5/40 for awhile as the mileage thing is not a huge issue, as my last vehicle was a chevy 2500HD 496 Big Block with an Allison trans and a 4:10 rear! (7 around town, 11 on the highway!) This car is like a Prius or VW TDI compared to that thing!!

Lol..i would thins so,

Originally Posted By: hal
i own a '00 V70 and it can run 5w40/5w30/10w30. have not run a 5w40 yet but really it does not seem necessary for this motor. Mine seems to do well on 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer. you might lose some gas mileage with 5w40.

sounds like your oil in there now is nasty. i'd change it. the 2.4L can get sludged up if neglected (very uncommon w/ 6k or less oci's). and since you have a turbo run synth for sure. rotella is good, if it was my car i'd run the 5w40 once for the cleaning ability of rotella and then switch to maxlife full synth 10w30.

Why do you feel the need to switch to a 10w in the summer? In the end, the oil is still going to be a 30 when hot.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I just purchased a 2006 XC70 with only 36,000 KMs (22,500 mi) on it.

I just switched to Rotella T 5W40 in my Pathfinder. Our weather here ranges from -15 C to 40 C (5 F to 105 F), and thought the 5W40 may be a better way to go than the GC 0W30.

I was wondering how this is working for you in your XC70?

After being convinced by the motorcycle community, I started
using Rotella T-syn in my FJR and Goldwings. I liked it
so much I started using it in my Infiniti M35 too. I can
buy it in 5 gallon pails for just over $3/quart on sale.
About to switch my daughters high mileage Civic over too.

I used RTS 5w-40 in my wife's XC-90. It worked great in it. She had the 5 cylinder turbo.

19.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back