Rotella T or Mobil 1 TDT (5W-40) for my 2002 WRX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some feedback on which oil to go with for my next oil change. I've been using a mix of M1 10W-30 and some 15W-50 EP with good UOA results, but feel like maybe I can do a little better. Recently, my car was down a quart and I didn't want to drive around like that so I bought a quart of M1 TDT 5W-40 and to my amazement, the motor seemed to run smoother and quieter! The thought of an oil that makes my car run better and possibly lower oil consumption has got me very intrigued.

Also, my cSt viscosity at 100 degrees C with my oil mix was always around the low 13s, and I know the Rotella T and TDT are around 15. I would mainly like to see if the thicker oil lowers the slight consumption I've been having.

I read that the Rotella T with its high phosphorous and zinc can possibly harm the cats, but it seems to be marketed at gas truck owners as well. My consumption is not very high, but could 1-2 quarts per 6000 miles be enough to coat my cat with enough ZDDP to cause damage? I imagine that M1 TDT is a similar formulation as far as ZDDP levels? Hopefully either of these would lower my consumption to where it wouldn't even be an issue.

I like both oils, but the Rotella T is a better value so I'm leaning towards Shell. The only thing is my car takes 5 quarts and I wish they sold Rotella in a 5 quart size!! I saw single quart bottles of Rotella T (blue bottles) for sale but they look like the older formulation that's not CJ-4 rated. I'm not sure if it even matters for my application, but I'd rather go with the newer formulation in its entirety. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: esteve
Yes, it's a turbo model. How is the M1 TDT better suited for my car? Thanks.

It has yielded extremely good wear results in UOA's on this site. I'm running it in my junk right now.

Doug Hillary has done extensive fleet testing with Delvac 1.

Fantastic oil.

It's expensive compared to RTS. Probably to the tune of 50% higher. I'd use it only if it reduced consumption or allowed the extension of the OCI to justify the cost. I wouldn't worry about the cats on a pre-2007 or 2008 car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back