rotella t 5w40 or another

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using mobil1 10w30 in my 2000 chevy 6.0 v8 and it seems to be too thin for my application in this 90deg weather. I just put 15w50 in but i don't know if it is too thick for my truck. I could go with mobil1 5w40 but I found 1 gallon containers of Rotella 5w40 synthetic for $6 and change at advance auto.. Would the Rotella be a suitable oil for my truck? I usually run 10k between oil changes with the mobil1.
thanks!

You will be fine with the Rotella synthetic. I personally would go with the Delvac 1300 15W-40, but only because I buy in bulk and use it in all my other machines. Good luck.

Grab that Rotella T Synthetic (Group III)! It is mismarked. $6.00 is the price of the regular Rotella T Dino. The synthetic usually runs around $12.00 at WalMart.

BTW if you cant get the synthetic the Mobil Delvac 1300 15W-40 is $5.88 at WalMart and meets 10W cold pumping specs.

Gene

No but it is a very high quality Dino HDEO (Heavy Duty Motor Oil) that is extremely stable.

I would not be suprised if the UOA looked better after 10,000 mi than many Synthetic PCMO (Passenger Car Motor Oil)

However if you willing to spend $20 a gal then the Mobil Delvac 1 / Mobil 1 Truck & SUV is a very good oil but without a Bypass Filter it usually needs changed before the oil is worn out. Some people run this oil in Big Diesels with Bypass Filters for 100's of Thousands of Miles with only the top oil when changing the Filter Element added.

BTW

welcome.gif

quote:

Grab that Rotella T Synthetic (Group III)! It is mismarked. $6.00 is the price of the regular Rotella T Dino. The synthetic usually runs around $12.00 at WalMart.

Thats what i was thinking because I saw it at wal mart for $12. I am going to buy every bit they have on the shelf if they give me that price on it.

quote:

However if you willing to spend $20 a gal then the Mobil Delvac 1 / Mobil 1 Truck & SUV is a very good oil but without a Bypass Filter it usually needs changed before the oil is worn out. Some people run this oil in Big Diesels with Bypass Filters for 100's of Thousands of Miles with only the top oil when changing the Filter Element added.

Why does the mobil/delvac1 need changing before its worn out?

quote:

Originally posted by boxcomp:
Why does the mobil/delvac1 need changing before its worn out?

Because contaminents that are to small to be filtered out by the full flow primary filter build up to a high level.

Gene

quote:

Because contaminents that are to small to be filtered out by the full flow primary filter build up to a high level.

Is this the case with the other weights of mobil1 or other oils, like the rotella?

Yes, this is the reason for the invention of Bypass Filters. The oils have slowly reached the point at which the oil itself will actually hold up longer than the factory filtration systems can keep them clean. This is less of a problem in gas engines than Diesels because you dont have all the Soot to worrry about.

Unless you plan to extend past 10,000 mi I really wouldnt worry about it. My point was I would not be suprised to see a Dino HDEO be capable of going that long though.

If you want to go 15,000-30,000 mi between oil changes on a oil like Delvac 1 or Amsoil 5W-40 you really need a Bypass Filter. For most of us though it is just not cost effective. However if you are doing it for the convenience of not having to change the oil as often or the enviroment that is another matter. Do be aware though that Bypass Filers do have to be serviced on occasion. How often depends on design.

There is a bypass section here if you want to learn more.

There are also some good heavy 30 weight extended drain oils like the 0W-30 German Castrol Syntec 12.1 cSt @ 100C vs the 10.2 cSt @ 100C Mobil 1 if you want to try a heavier 30 Weight. There are also some lighter 40 weights like 0W-40 Mobil 1 before going to a heavy 40 weight like the HDEO if you think that might be a little to much of a good thing. There is also the fact you can mix 10W-30 and 15W-50 Mobil 1 if you are uncomfortable with the weight of the 15W-50.

Gene

I am interested in running 10k between changes because I drive over 30k miles a year. Also I am interested in engine life because I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.
I will try the rotella.

and thanks for the welcome!

I am using Rotella T 5w40 in my '96 Caprice, I really like it sofar and my car sees all kinds of duty from dragstrip to roadtrip to light towing and the daily drive to work in all it comes to over 20K a year easily. Been running this oilsince the begining of spring, I have not tried to stretch the OCI and no UOA yet. My lightly modified motor is running very quiet and smooth, queiter than it was with other oils including Amsoil 5 and 10w30.

welcome.gif

quote:

I am interested in running 10k between changes because I drive over 30k miles a year. Also I am interested in engine life because I plan on keeping this truck for a long time. ...

Either one of these 5W-40 syns should easily go 10k mi in your engine. (The new Amsoil 5W-40 would also go this distance with no problem.) I'm driving about 15k-20k mi/yr right now. After I finish my Auto-Rx rinse phase, I plan on running Mobil 1 5W-40 for 20k mi. I'll change the filter & run a UOA at 10k mi, just to make sure everything looks OK. I'm doing this 'cuz the M1 15W-50 UOA I ran looked almost unused after 6,500 mi & 14 mos. I'd say your current 15W-50 fill is of no concern until the end of Autumn.

That price may be legit for the Rotella T synth. The CI-4 is set to debut this month and they may be clearing out old stock. The current stuff is CH-4. I still buy it @ $12.xx at Wally World. I'll drop down th AA and see what's available @$6.

Apparently the oil was mismarked because it rang up $11.99 but they happily changed the price because it said $6.68 on the shelf. I bought 4 gallons. thats all they had on the shelf at the time. I can buy 2 more gallons at wal mart and that will get me 4 oil changes for a little over $50...

quote:

That's a silly low price for 5w40 syn. Even walmart's everyday price of 12.84/gal. is a value. I say buy it up!

I agree. Although Delvac 1 is my holy grail ...at quote:

Apparently the oil was mismarked because it rang up $11.99

After I read this thread I ran right down to AA ..nope $11.95
frown.gif
I ended up buying a R134a conversion for my van. Apparently they came up with a compatible oil that won't gell when mixed. Worked great on my van.

Why don't I get the great deals???
tongue.gif

quote:

Apparently the oil was mismarked because it rang up $11.99 but they happily changed the price because it said $6.68 on the shelf. I bought 4 gallons. thats all they had on the shelf at the time. I can buy 2 more gallons at wal mart and that will get me 4 oil changes for a little over $50...

That sounds like a good plan!
worshippy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back