Rotella T 5w40 - F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have a 1990 F-150 with the 5.0 V8. It has only 65,000 original miles. It burns a little oil, maybe a qt every 1000 miles. I currently run it on Havoline dino 10w30. The previous owner used Valvoline 10w30 exclusively. Would the Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic be a good oil for this application? Also would it do ok for cold starts it in the winter in northern Indiana? This oil seems like a deal for under $13 per gallom at Wally's.

If it burns oil, a diesel oil can cause catalytic converter failure.

I would probably use something like Castrol GTX HM 10W-30... And perhaps it's time for an Auto-RX treatment?
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
If it burns oil, a diesel oil can cause catalytic converter failure.

I would probably use something like Castrol GTX HM 10W-30... And perhaps it's time for an Auto-RX treatment?
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Bull-hockey! Sure, the higher phosphorus levels have been said to cause quicker catalyst failure, but not by any noticable margin. On top of this, the lower levels of vapor passed into the exhaust system (comparing a 5w-40 vs. the 10w-30 PCMO he's using now) will more than make up for any difference!!

Go with Rotella 5w-40.

quote:

Originally posted by pacers1994:

Also would it do ok for cold starts it in the winter in northern Indiana? This oil seems like a deal for under $13 per gallom at Wally's.

I would make certain the PCV valve was tight in it's grommet of this relatively low mile 302 and funtioning then run it on the even lower cost Mobil Drive Clean syn blend HM oil in the appropriate grade for 3 intervals at the different seasons the motor will see. My thoughts are that you'll get better winter start protection and oil consumption will be greatly reduced by the end of the third interval .

A member just sent me a pic of his oil filter after using this oil only once for a short interval . It showed more than the typed word can
smile.gif

Good luck in what you decide .

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
A member just sent me a pic of his oil filter after using this oil only once for a short interval . It showed more than the typed word can
smile.gif

What did it show?

I have heard that once the current stock of Rotella Syn sells off the shelf at WalMart, it will not be restocked. I don't know if that is true, but in my visits to various WalMarts, it does seem to be disappearing.

I stocked up in anticipation of this, but it is also available elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back