Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic in Onan diesel generator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy, I have been changing the oil in my Onan Diesel 12KW generator (stand-by for house) over the past 10 years (on a yearly basis [recieves very few hours]) with rotella T 15W-40.

I noticed Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic at Wal-mart and thought about switching to that.

What do you think?
confused.gif
BTW, I live in NY. Possibly 90 degrees in summer, 14 degrees in winter.

Is there a good chance of leaks after switching?
dunno.gif

Thanks,
John

You shouldn't have any leakage issue. The Rotella Synthetic is what is called a Group III. Basically it's really not a "True Synthetic" as compared to Amsoil, Delvac, and Mobil 1. If you can get it for say 13 Bucks its a good deal, but I wouldn't pay the $20.

And don't get me wrong-the Rotella "Synthetic" will be a better product than the Regular Rotella.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
...If you can get it for say 13 Bucks its a good deal, but I wouldn't pay the $20...

Thanks, It only requires 1.6 Gal. Wal-mart has it for 12 dollars and change. I figure it would be far better for cold weather start up.

-John

Rotella" syn." will have way better cold pumping as a 05w/ .I don't think anyone can prove of it being better than regular Rotella except on cold pumping performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back