Rotella T 15W40 24,346 miles in Volvo D11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if anyone is interested in plain ol' Rotella T in the homely white bottle with all the T6 fanfare
whistle.gif
but I gave it a try as it had been years since I had myself. This was the last oci in my D11 powered truck since I traded it in for a D13 powered one. Was interested in both the Rotella and seeing how Volvo brand filters performed. Truck was loaded 77k - 80k lbs about 94% of oci. Lots of city driving mixed in.

Oil in service 9/13/14 - 12/5/14 (oil was dated 8/2014)

Engine= 397,255 miles / 10,717 hours

Oil= 24,346 miles / 694 hours

Fuel burned= 3,617 gallons (U.S.)

38 quart capacity with zero makeup. It was down about 2 quarts at drain time.

Here's a little seen tidbit...

Total engine revolutions = 730,630,000

Revolutions made during oci = 46,787, 000

Element..........................uoa................universal averages ~18k miles

Aluminum........................4..................................4

Chromium........................0..................................0

Iron.................................11.................................10

Copper.............................2...................................3

Lead.................................1...................................1

Tin....................................0...................................2

Moly..................................7 ( leftover from previous oil )

Nickel................................1

Manganese........................0

Silver.................................0

Titanium............................1 (leftover from 2 oci's ago)

Potassium.........................6

Boron................................18

Silicon...............................8

Sodium..............................4

Calcium............................2326

Magnesium........................41

Phosphorous....................1006

Zinc..................................1119

Barium................................0

SUS vis @ 210°F................70.6

cSt vis @ 100°C.................13.10

Flashpoint in °F...................435

Fuel %.................................
Antifreeze %..........................0.0

Water %.................................0.0

Insolubles %..........................0.3

TBN (D4739)..........................3.3 (Volvo lower limit is 1.5 using ASTM D4739)

TAN.......................................5.2

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Looks very good, with TBN above 3.0 and low wear metals I think you can extend OCI 25% to 30k miles without problem.

Yes sir I agree, it did fabulous. I may try it in my current truck after I take a shot at the Delo 15w30 (hope to get the Delo soon).

After seeing this I guess a lot of owner operators Canging it at 10,000-15,000 miles With Shell Rotella can go longer, but my involvement was with C15 Cat's. I wouldn't reccomend extended OCI's with ISX Cummins. Too many cam failures.
OP, your engine must be better to oil, I didn't expect to see Calcium, Zinc, and Phosphorous levels to be that high after this many miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wildmanrandall
After seeing this I guess a lot of owner operators Canging it at 10,000-15,000 miles With Shell Rotella can go longer, but my involvement was with C15 Cat's. I wouldn't reccomend extended OCI's with ISX Cummins. Too many cam failures.
OP, your engine must be better to oil, I didn't expect to see Calcium, Zinc, and Phosphorous levels to be that high after this many miles.

Boron is the only additive I've ever seen drop from voa to uoa. If you use the same lab for both a voa and then follow up with uoa, there will only be minute changes in anything other than boron. When I use delo 400, the high starting boron levels drop in a big way. It doesn't seem to drop so much in say...a diesel pickup truck.

Moly, calcium, magnesium, phos and zinc may actually read higher in the uoa (usually small amounts either way). My understanding is that while the ppm reading stays similar, some of the additive becomes inert after some time in use.

This is a 2012 model year engine and does seem to burn clean and I guess that is helpful in the oil's life. This Rotella did exceptional in tbn retention, though. I was impressed.

Just to be clear, this is Rotella T "triple protection". Used to be just T until CJ-4 and they added on the "triple protection". Just a mention so nobody thought I meant T3 when I said "plain ol' Rotella T".
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back