Rotella T (15w-40) vs. PCMO's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, looking over past posts, it seems many on here don't like Rotella-T 15w-40 as much as say Delo or Delvac.

Anyways, got a new job working at the local Pep Boys, and with the nice employee discount, I can get oils at a good price.

Thing is, the only HDMO they carry is Rotella-T.

Besides the high pour point (not really a concern in the summer), is there something wrong with this oil? Seems many people say it's not that great, but I'm curious as to why.

Also, how does Rotella-T compare to PCMO's? Seems like even if it is not as good as other HDMO's, it would still protect much better under high-stress operating conditions than a 40-weight PCMO.

BTW, this oil (if I use it) will first be going in a '96 Volvo 850 5spd. with 120,000 that gets driven hard and is using Delvac 1300 15w-40 right now. Car is on 3,000 mile drain intervals.

Thanks,

Justin.

[ April 15, 2003, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: Justin ]

Except for the high pour point, I think this oil is on par with other HD fleet oils. Shell is known for its extremely shear stable VI improver, so this oil should hold up well. If you've been using a 15w40 oil in your car with no problems, switching to Rotella T should be okay.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
Except for the high pour point, I think this oil is on par with other HD fleet oils. Shell is known for its extremely shear stable VI improver, so this oil should hold up well. If you've been using a 15w40 oil in your car with no problems, switching to Rotella T should be okay.

Funny thing is, the Volvo actually calls for a 15w-40 in the owners manual. Also lists 5w-30 and 10w-30, but says you can also use 15w-40 as long as it is above 15 degrees or so and states that you SHOULD use it if your doing hard driving.

I run 15w-40 in a bunch of stuff, but I've always used Delo 400. Know many guys that use Rotella and have had good success, but just wanted to see what the oil experts here had to say about the stuff.

Justin.

Justin,

Does your store carry Castrol RX 15W-40 or ProLine house brand? Can you find out who makes ProLine oil for PepBoys? I know the ProLine filters are Purolator.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Justin,

Does your store carry Castrol RX 15W-40 or ProLine house brand? Can you find out who makes ProLine oil for PepBoys? I know the ProLine filters are Purolator.

Jimbo,

Monday was my first day, but yes, I believe we carry both the Castrol and the ProLine (for sure on the ProLine).

I'll try to find out who makes the oil...can't promise anything.

Question though...why do you want to know if we, in Kentucky, have Castrol and ProLine oil if your in California?

Back in the old days, Pep Boys used the same merchandise for ALL of its stores. Whatever was stocked in PA, was stocked in CA--except the wheel chains, etc. Also back in those days, Valvoline made the oil. That was from '87-93...don't think they changed--since they are a small outfit <400 stores, compared to Wally World's buying power...

quote:

Originally posted by uconn1150:
Back in the old days, Pep Boys used the same merchandise for ALL of its stores. Whatever was stocked in PA, was stocked in CA--except the wheel chains, etc. Also back in those days, Valvoline made the oil. That was from '87-93...don't think they changed--since they are a small outfit strong>

Actually, there's over 600 stores now.

You have to take all these lessons on stuff, and one of the first was about Pep Boys and their history. Anyways, guess they leveled off at like 200 stores in 1990 or so, and then they underwent a massive expansion.

quote:

Originally posted by 7TFord:
....The folks at this forum seem to like the Rotella-T and you can probably find all you want to know about the oil there. http://www.rotella.com/forum.html

7TFord: 100,000 comedians out of work and your trying to be funny! Seriously though, just wanted to see what guys thought about it here. Probably will make another post and see what people really think about it in comparison to Delo and Delvac.

Jimbo: No problem...I was just curious why you wanted to know that. I know they have a "must have in stock" list. It's a pretty long list of everything they MUST have in the store at all times...noticed that all the ProLine stuff was on there (of course), as well as Rotella-T 15w-40. Beyond that list, they can probably pick-and-choose a little in accordance with what is selling at the time.

I just realized this topic isn't even close to being on the subject of the original question anymore!

Back on topic. I would not hesitate to use Rotella T if Delo was not easily available. Heck, if Proline is Valvoline All-Fleet, at that price, less your discount, I'd use that.

quote:

Originally posted by 7TFord:
....The folks at this forum seem to like the Rotella-T and you can probably find all you want to know about the oil there. http://www.rotella.com/forum.html

Not much of a forum relative to www.bobistheoilguy.com !!!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:
Back on topic. I would not hesitate to use Rotella T if Delo was not easily available. Heck, if Proline is Valvoline All-Fleet, at that price, less your discount, I'd use that.

My only problem with using "store-name" or "off-name" filters and oils is that you don't know for sure who makes them...one minute they are made by brand x, which could be good, and then, brand y offers a lower price and your getting junk.

Also, this forum is quite good...much better than the Rotella forum.

With that said, I think I'll try out Rotella-T on the next change. Even if it is not quite as good as Delo or Delvac (which I don't believe is true...just higher pour point), it still should protect much better in a car gas engine ('96 Volvo 850 for example) than any dino PCMO.

Justin.

I use Delo 400 15-40 in the equipment at work. I haven't had any problems. One yard tractor hasn't had an oil change in 10 years. I lost track of how many times the hr meter has gone to all zeros.
I saw the hone marks still in the cylinders on a Detroit engine using Shell Rotella 15-40 at over 1,000,000 miles with two oil drains. A Toyota Corolla here in town went over 500,000 before the owner got rid of it. It used Pennsoil. It's last oil change was at about 100,000.
My 84 Subaru went almost 300,000 before I lost track of it. I drove it 240,000 with four oil changes using Mobil 1 15-50 except for the first 38,000 miles.
I'm beginning to wonder if what kind of oil you use means that much. I think the filter is the most important thing.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back