Rotella synthetic 5w-40 in a 2006 Scion tC 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this oil acceptable to run in my 2006 tC 2.4?

I mean its perfect since mine only holds 4 quarts. I usually use Quaker State Q "synthetic" but I can get the Rotella a lot cheaper through my friend who orders it in bulk. I already use it in my 70 Nova and 86 Monte SS, but I worry about my modern 4 banger being more picky than my 50 plus year old designed small block Chevy motors.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it, but if the vehicle is under a warranty, I would not. I would strictly adhere to the recommendations in the owners manual until your warranty period is up.

After that, load it up!

Bought it totaled and fixed it up. Had 10k on the odometer and I bought and fixed it for 5.5 thousand bucks. So no warranty. I think I will buy a few gallon jugs and wait until the typical Iowa winter is done. Dont know about 40 weight in an Iowa winter.

Man, when I had my old 240 Turbo, Rotella T synthetic was in that engine all year. It flows GREAT when cold, and when it is hot (even with an oil cooled turbo) the pressure was always well above where it should have been.

I wouldn't hesitate for one second to run it in the winter.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
That seems heavy to me, what does it call for in the manual? im guessing 5w20?

yup

Get the XW30 if you can unless you live on the equator.

Actually mine calls for 5w-30 and not 5w-20. I know most people on here mention that the change was made in 06, but mine clearly calls for 5w-30. Must have been a mid year switch.

Don't worry about using it in the winter. It IS a '5W' oil, so it's crank-tested to -30C, and the pour point is even lower than that...it will work fine.

If you can get it cheap and don't have a warranty to worry about, go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back