rotella syn is starting to cost too much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm glad I stocked up last year before the last series of price hikes. I have enough for one more round of changes. I might be looking for something else after that myself as well.

Schaeffers is $300 to get free shipping. As there ae no normal retail outlets of their oil anywhere near me, its the only real way to go... oil is too heavy to be cost effective when paying shipping, IMO.

But that is my point, too... Schaeffers is a fine 5w-40, and costs what? $3/qt? If it is less than $4/qt, Id be ahead in the dollars per quart department, and have an oil which always seems to trn heads in terms of how it performs...

JMH

I lIke Rotella synthetic oil. I use it in my BMW. However, given the cost inceases... its now up to $15.96/gal!

Too bad there isnt a standard M1 viscosity I can run in that car, which I could buy in 5 qt jugs at wal mart - as the price comes out near the same.

Anyway... I guess my real question is, what are you using as a cost-effective 5w-40, HDEO spec oil?

At this point, making the splurge for $300 worth of schaeffers products is starting to look like a good idea...

JMH

I found Delo 5w40 up here for about $21.00/gallon Canadian. I use Delo 15w40 right now, but would like to use a 0w40 or a 5w40 as the winters are a little on the cool side here. I wanted to use Esso, but thought if I can use the Delo, it will be close to the same additive pack. I have been using Delo almost since day one, so I wanted to keep using pretty much the same oil, just with better heat and cold performance. Mobil oils are very expensive, however.
Derek

Quote:

I lIke Rotella synthetic oil. I use it in my BMW. However, given the cost inceases... its now up to $15.96/gal!

Too bad there isnt a standard M1 viscosity I can run in that car, which I could buy in 5 qt jugs at wal mart - as the price comes out near the same.

Anyway... I guess my real question is, what are you using as a cost-effective 5w-40, HDEO spec oil?

At this point, making the splurge for $300 worth of schaeffers products is starting to look like a good idea...

JMH

A minimum order from Schaeffers costs $300???
confused.gif

Quote:

I guess my real question is, what are you using as a cost-effective 5w-40, HDEO spec oil?

I usually use Rotella Syn in my Duramax in the winter, but noticed the price had gone up quite a bit recently. I found Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5w-40 on sale at NAPA for $77/5 gallon bucket a few weeks ago. (maybe still is?) It'll be interesting to see the UOA results in a few months.

LOL, thats why I run top-notch oils in all 9 of our cars...

Rotella as what i found to be the best UOA-wise, beating out M1 in allowed viscosities. However, just like I or many others don't find bang for the buck in syntec, paying $5 for group III oil... Its getting close to being that situation for rotella too... It used to be the best readily available oil for my car, and only $12.88, which sweetened the deal.

I may keep using it, I may not. Note that I didnt ask for a cheaper option, or can I get out of using 5w40 because I can get havoline or 88c/qt... I am checking the field to see what is popular, since M1 5w-40 is not available, and rotella will likely soon be as expensive despite being a group III product.

Schaeffers has lots of good press, but was not ever available readily. At this point, I may make the plunge.

Im not trying to skirt around spending the money - Im looking for the best performance for my oil dollar. Depending on how schaeffers would test out... rotella syn in excess of $17/gal might not be the winner anymore.

so thanks for your "smart" remark...

JMH

I'd run the Delo 400, 15w-40 for temps above freezing and the Pennzoil Plat 5w-30 for temps below freezing (the actual temps for switchover aren't that critical, it's just an example).

The Delo 400 is very comparable to a Group III based, 5w-40 IMNSHO.

TS

syn, right, I like the rotella syn, for its performance; it is a very good product.

I always thought of delo as a very good product too... I just never thought it was THAT good... If it is so wonderful a product, then why not use it in the winter too? If it can nearly classify as a 5w-40, then why not let it do its duty year round? It gets cold in NJ, but it isnt Canada...

Thanks!

JMH

I will be using Delo yr round, be it though my PSD is kept in the garage over night and will be plugged in. Though adviced, with 262K miles on my PSD switching to a top notch synthetic might not be a good idea. Just stick with what brought the PSD to 262K miles. Now when the rebuild comes about, i will switch to a 5W-40 synthetic and a single by-pass system, with once a yr oil changes.

Thanks D-Roc:
The only place I can get the VPB is at Napa and it is so high priced->{Normal Napa Pricing}.

AutoZone does not see the demand for it. Told them---> How the HE!! can you see that!!! When U won't even bother to order it!!! Word of Mouth is a Great TooL. The sales clerks didn't even know about the 5W-40. Needless to say, they didn't even know about the M1 5W-40 revamping.

I told them all about this site, and that they need to visit regular. They all need to educate themselves, since selling oil is a large part of their sales.

I also agree with TS--Delo 400 15W-40 is a Great Oil!--> Gotta love all that Moly!!

Also I wouldn't hesitate one bit too pour Rotella 5W-40 Syn into my PSD. It has shown to be a Very Good Product. It jumped to $15.97 a gal at Walmart.

When Wally World offered Rotella syn 5W-40 for a little under $12.00/gal a couple of years back, it seemed like a great deal. Now, I think you need to look at alternatives. It really isn't about cost, its about getting value for your money.

I agree ged 100%.
Rotella 5W-40 has really put up some Very Good UOAs.

But=1 exam--> If I could buy M1 or Schaeffers for the just a few dollars more per gal? I would buy one of these 2 over the Rotella. IMHO these 2 are a {grade} or two above the Rotella.

Walmart-->Today just bumped up the price again on the Rotella 5W-40 to $16.29 a gal.
I have seen where I can buy Schaeffers-#7000 for $17.72
and #9000 for $19.36 per gal. Even though i would have too pay shipping, i feel the Schaeffers is the best buy.

M1 HDD 5W-40 will be over $20.00 per gal. But they might put it in the 5gal jug instead of the 4gal. Haven't seen it yet. But too each his own. All 3 are high quality oils.

I just bought $300 worth of stuff from the site sponsor, so I got 6 gallons of 5w-40 #9000... really for the diesels, but I might just switch the BMW over at this point, as what gedcruise and -Syn- say is exactly right.

I did stock up on two gallons or rotella syn at the $15.96/gal price, so I saved ~30 cents per gallon... but add in sales tax and whatnot, and the schaeffers will be a promising long-term alternative, despending on how its pricing changes, and the UOAs that it puts out.

Thanks,

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back