rotella products for manual tranny atv's

Status
Not open for further replies.
D, i have not bought anything yet. i still have 3 qts of the valvoline 4stoke oil. i am mixing a high ratio of seafoam and 93octane in the tank to clean out the carb and etc. ill drain after this tank and use the last of the valvoline..... i am leaning towards the T6 5w40. i love syns.

i do have a question for ya. to ease my mind here... mine is 4x4 and the Tcase calls for the same 10w40 motor oil. i assume i can put T6 in there as well. since after all it is jaso ma approved. i know this is a dumb question but i figured i would ask.

Originally Posted By: daman
IF it calls for a 10/40 yea i dont se a problem with it,that or a 15/40,sure.

would the 5w40 T6 not work in the tcase? both the motor and the tcase call for a 10w40.

update: using the last of my valvoline (overpriced) 4 stroke oil... i will be switching to Rotella 15w40 OR T-6.. I cannot make my mind up. the reason is that its a 12yr old 4 stroke motor (honda 4 trax 4x4) and its been ridden.. not sure how it will act with a synthetic T6 in it as compared to something thicker like the tella 15w40. i do not ride it often. in fact when i do ride it its short and sweet most days. i probably ride it 3 times a week for no longer than 1-2hrs at most.. now that deer season is here it will be used for that too

other notes. winter is coming and it ranges here in NC from 10 degrees up to 55 degrees (thats really low and really high) most temps are 22-45 degrees.

that being said should i still give the t6 a whirl or just go with the 15w40 and call it a day?

Originally Posted By: mikeg5
update: using the last of my valvoline (overpriced) 4 stroke oil... i will be switching to Rotella 15w40 OR T-6.. I cannot make my mind up. the reason is that its a 12yr old 4 stroke motor (honda 4 trax 4x4) and its been ridden.. not sure how it will act with a synthetic T6 in it as compared to something thicker like the tella 15w40. i do not ride it often. in fact when i do ride it its short and sweet most days. i probably ride it 3 times a week for no longer than 1-2hrs at most.. now that deer season is here it will be used for that too

other notes. winter is coming and it ranges here in NC from 10 degrees up to 55 degrees (thats really low and really high) most temps are 22-45 degrees.

that being said should i still give the t6 a whirl or just go with the 15w40 and call it a day?

I use 15W40 in colder temps than that with no issues. Starting gets difficult when the temps get around 0F. Rather than change the oil to a lighter viscosity, I'll just heat the engine with a tiger torch before leaving the camp. If I'm ice fishing, I'll just fire the machine up every so often and take it for a short spin to keep the oil warm. If it's much colder than 0F I'll use the two cycle snow machine.

In the temperatures you've mentioned, you shouldn't have any problems with 15W40.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: mikeg5

I use 15W40 in colder temps than that with no issues. Starting gets difficult when the temps get around 0F. Rather than change the oil to a lighter viscosity, I'll just heat the engine with a tiger torch before leaving the camp. If I'm ice fishing, I'll just fire the machine up every so often and take it for a short spin to keep the oil warm. If it's much colder than 0F I'll use the two cycle snow machine.

In the temperatures you've mentioned, you shouldn't have any problems with 15W40.

thats pretty much what i wanted to know.. thanks a lot for the reply.

There is no advantage in using a heavier oil than is needed. In fact, it can be a disadvantage. Too high (thick or heavy) an oils viscosity means increased fluid friction, reduced energy efficiency, higher operating temperature and equipment starting difficulties and increased engine wear, particularly at cold temperatures.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
There is no advantage in using a heavier oil than is needed. In fact, it can be a disadvantage. Too high (thick or heavy) an oils viscosity means increased fluid friction, reduced energy efficiency, higher operating temperature and equipment starting difficulties and increased engine wear, particularly at cold temperatures.

i agree. this atv calls for 10w40. i dont think 15w40 is that much thicker than 10w40.. i may end up trying both oils and see how i like it. i am a syn oil guy but in an old well used atv not sure how it will like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back