Rotella multi vehicle 5w-30 lack of Veh approvals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that it lacks many foreign and domestic car manufacturer approvals.

Should this really matter?

Last edited:
Shell isn't going to pay for every spec approval they can as it's too costly and will make the oil less profitable and/or more expensive.
They couldn't have found a better guy to send this oil to. The Sebring specs either a 5W20 or a 10W30 depending on the engine and the Merc
calls for a 5W20.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I see that it lacks many foreign and domestic car manufacturer approvals. Should this really matter?

If you have a fleet, with both diesels and gasoline engines, you could run this one oil. ... That is, IF you can get a waiver from GM to use this, or Ford, or Chrysler, assuming any of those are in your fleet, all of which have manufacturer ratings you might need. If its an all-Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, and/or Mitsubishi fleet, then the SN qualification is probably already sufficient.
It shouldn't be too hard to get a special waiver for a fleet to use this oil in gas engines. GM might look to see if its high-calcium, to give them some assurance it won't create LSPI issues in some of their gasoline (turbo-DI) engines.

Last edited:
I've liked Rotella 15w40 oil in Diesel powered trucks in the past. If I can find this oil, I'll give it a try in a car and SUV.

The oil is rated CK4 and SN so any engine that has SN recommendation is a go. It is not that hard

The oil has an intended market and it is appropriately rated for that. You might use it for other uses but it isn't as if there aren't alternatives that do carry the certifications you need.

Have you got a specific certification requirement for which this happens to be the only oil you can obtain? Should it matter for what exactly?

It has plenty of approvals. A truck oil with plenty of truck mfr approvals. There is no problem with it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
It has plenty of approvals. A truck oil with plenty of truck mfr approvals. There is no problem with it
smile.gif

According to the sheet online it has:

Quote:
API CK-4,API SN, ACEA E6, JASO DH-2, CumminsCES20086,VolvoVDS-4.5,MACK EOS-4.5, DDC DFS 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MB- Approval 228.51

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

Except I mentioned cars not trucks....
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn

The oil has an intended market and it is appropriately rated for that. You might use it for other uses but it isn't as if there aren't alternatives that do carry the certifications you need.

Have you got a specific certification requirement for which this happens to be the only oil you can obtain? Should it matter for what exactly?

I don't. If fact I really don't care about car manufacturers specs or approvals. As long as it is a name brand oil in the proper weight range and the latest version I don't sweat it. Others are very precise about the approvals/specs.

Last edited:
I don't. If fact I really don't care about car manufacturers specs or approvals. As long as it is a name brand oil in the proper weight range and the latest version I don't sweat it. Others are very precise about the approvals/specs.

Well then to answer your question it doesn't really matter.

It depends what you're trying to accomplish. For my G37, which calls for an SM or newer 5w-30 or an SM/GF-4 or newer 5w-30 (ILSAC is only optional), it fits the requirements just fine. For anyone that wants elevated HTHS without elevated phosphorus, this product fits the bill. It also looks rather suitable as a long drain oil.

If we want to pick on certain specifications, there are little technical details that count. Because this oil is a CK-4 E6 oil, it cannot simultaneously be A3/B4 or C3 or dexos2, so that wipes out a fair number of European passenger car specifications, thanks to the differing SA limits. The CK-4 E6 is right between A3/B4 and C3 for the SA limits, though the HTHS is correct, as is TBN. Basically, these specifications are mutually exclusive, so a C3 or a dexos2 or an A3/B4 or OEM spec based upon C3 or A3/B4 simply aren't possible.

The same goes with something like a dexos1 or the ordinary Ford or Chrysler 5w-30 specification. Those are ILSAC lubes with an HTHS closer to 3.0, so the Multi-Vehicle 5w-30 wouldn't pass the fuel economy requirement. However, the phosphorus content is sufficient.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
Interested, why is the 5w30:so hard to find online?

I'm not sure why the rollout has been so slow, but try O'Reilly's website - that's where I got mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back