Rotella Gas Truck - How Synthetic Is It?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I do not expect anyone to know exactly and though it is marketed as a "full synthetic", after 6 runs of it in my Rubicon (30K miles), I am leaning towards it being a "minimal" synthetic. No, I do not have any scientific data past my UOAs, but it has the same physical observed characteristics after a 5K run as the Mobil Super 5000 that I used in my 2010 FX4 for a number of runs. It is much darker than any of the other synthetics I have used (Castrol, Pennzoil, and Kendall), it produces some carbon flakes in the filter (just like MS5K did) and has somewhat of a burned smell to it.

Yes, naysayers, I know, far from scientific or convincing, but something tells me it has the bare minimum contents to be labeled a synthetic. Has anyone had a similar experience when comparing it to other oils or does anyone know what its composition is?

A UOA wouldn't show anything in this regard. A basic spectrographic analysis isn't going to show base stock composition. Color and carbon flakes aren't going to read the tea leaves either. It is a Group III base stock composition full synthetic oil just like the Mobil 3000.

Another attempt at a "is a Group III synthetic really a synthetic?" question.

I have no scientific evidence to back up my statement, but here ya' go. I'm sure you would need an electron microscope to see the slightest possibility of wear if RGT synthetic is used, along with a good filter and 5 - 7k mile OCI after 150k miles. Ban me if you want.

While I do not expect anyone to know exactly and though it is marketed as a "full synthetic", after 6 runs of it in my Rubicon (30K miles), I am leaning towards it being a "minimal" synthetic. No, I do not have any scientific data past my UOAs, but it has the same physical observed characteristics after a 5K run as the Mobil Super 5000 that I used in my 2010 FX4 for a number of runs. It is much darker than any of the other synthetics I have used (Castrol, Pennzoil, and Kendall), it produces some carbon flakes in the filter (just like MS5K did) and has somewhat of a burned smell to it.

Yes, naysayers, I know, far from scientific or convincing, but something tells me it has the bare minimum contents to be labeled a synthetic. Has anyone had a similar experience when comparing it to other oils or does anyone know what its composition is?

I have looked at what is posted, the only way to answer your question is to give the people at High Performance Lubricants a call, aka HPL. I have talked with them on the phone and they will answer all of your questions, well at least they answered mine. LOL

kschachn, if you ever come to Maryland, let me know, I am getting real good at cooking, LOL

My parents think I am real good at making Pistachio Pudding.

Much like other Quaker State, RGT is listed with 0-90% "Interchangeable low viscosity base oil" and
My interpretation is that this is SOPUS' way of saying "cost-effective blend of Group III hydrocracked and/or GTL stocks"

Project farm likes it over Mobil 1

Yep; I watched that video and I have lots of it in my stash, but against similar runs of Castrol and Pennzoil (which is also made by Shell), the TBN is down to about 2.0 after 5K miles and the physical properties are different. Mind you, again, nothing scientific to back it up, but from my perspective, there is something to it, I guess time will tell.

If so then it goes along with an equally pointless question. Oil color, carbon particles, a "burned smell" and a UOA are pointless here.
What would your thoughts be on what did cause this difference, assuming it's not anecdotal?

What are your expectations for a full synthetic then? Perhaps choosing a oil that has Ultra or Ultimate in the name?

Maye it just cleans better and you're smelling the hot garbage it's broken loose. I have no idea, just a theory.
I would agree with this as a go-to statement, but I only have 45K miles on it and the average OCI is 3,750 miles given the early OCs I did to get the metal out. Unless the 3.6L is a sludge monster (which it is not known to be), I tend discount that extra cleaning is happening as there is/should not be that much to clean. Of the 45K miles, RGT has been the oil that has been used for the last 25K of them.

What are your expectations for a full synthetic then? Perhaps choosing a oil that has Ultra or Ultimate in the name?
No, but Castrol, Kendall, and Pennzoil did not display the same characteristics so I am in essence comparing those oils to RGT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back