Rotella Gas Truck 5w-30 3000 miles on oil, 6100 miles on 2020 F-150 2.7l Ecoboost

3000 miles on RGT 5w-30 and it is down to 9.0...this is a 2020 2.7 Ecoboost which sees short trips (generally 7 miles) where the first third of the trip is spent warming up, presumably via direct injection. I understand that Blackstone is not the most reliable measure of fuel dilution, but assuming that the options are either fuel dilution or shearing or perhaps dropping viscosity quickly is just a feature of "resource conserving oil" I will assume fuel is the source of the viscosity drop. The OLM read 58% remaining on oil when I changed it; it ticks down by month rather than miles as I would reach the 1 year max before I would reach 10k miles. I imagine this oil would be quite a bit out of grade had I waited another 6 months/3k miles to change it out.

I have been using QSUD/RGT as they are higher-viscosity products from SOPUS but now wonder if an oil with a higher HTHS value but the same 100C viscosity would stay in grade longer (Pennzoil Euro L, perhaps) or must one look at a higher 100C viscosity, even if going to a Xw40 if need be? If I stay with a 961-a spec SP oil it seems that it is going to be out of grade ever 3k miles, max. Considering 504.00, C30, 229.51 certs over SP.
blackstone.JPG

Looks like it is in fine shape at 3k. The best way to tell would be to run it a little longer next time and sample it again. I've been running 10k OCI's on my Ecoboost with Mobil 1 EP 5w30 for 80k miles and the engine seems fine. I did a run of RGT this time because I had six quarts of 5w30 left in the stash from the big clearance a few years ago. It is at 5k right now. I'm going to change it soon and if I get a chance, I'll sample it and we'll see how it looks. I may go to 6k before doing it, though. My wife idles with it quite a bit, but her trips aren't so short, so it gets up to temp and stays there awhile.

Outside of the viscosity being on the low end, the rest of your report looks very good, IMO.

El cheapo fake synthetics can only handle so much. You must keep your expectations low. Haha.

I’ve sure it would have started thickening up here shortly, had you ran it longer. 😁

6.1k miles on a nearly new engine.
There's not one thing you can discern about the lube or the engine other than to say "break in" is likely happening.

The dilution issue is overblown. Not because it's not important, but because no one here has any ability to show a direct correlation of their own wear rates relative to the fuel concentration in a repeatable, statistically measurable manner. Talking about how fuel may be affecting wear, but not having enough data to prove something one way or another is just compounding into a moot conversation.

Jumping from brand to brand every few OCIs is only going to compound the inability to discern if and when fuel may or may not be a true issue which actually affects the wear rates.

I thought UOA s are NOT indicative of engine wear and only show attributes of motor oil! I always read the Blackstone Lab reports and they give an opinion on the condition of engine wear. Just a thought!

I thought UOA s are NOT indicative of engine wear and only show attributes of motor oil! I always read the Blackstone Lab reports and they give an opinion on the condition of engine wear. Just a thought!

yea but based on the data in the oil, you can make an informed decision about how the engine is doing as a bonus

6.1k miles on a nearly new engine.
There's not one thing you can discern about the lube or the engine other than to say "break in" is likely happening.

The dilution issue is overblown. Not because it's not important, but because no one here has any ability to show a direct correlation of their own wear rates relative to the fuel concentration in a repeatable, statistically measurable manner. Talking about how fuel may be affecting wear, but not having enough data to prove something one way or another is just compounding into a moot conversation.

Jumping from brand to brand every few OCIs is only going to compound the inability to discern if and when fuel may or may not be a true issue which actually affects the wear rates.
Here is what I am wondering: After 3k miles I seem to have a 20 grade oil. If I changed the oil at 6k I would have had a 20 grade for at least 3k miles, or possibly less than 20 grade. And, for that matter, I don't know when this oil went below 30 grade viscosity, so maybe most of the 5k miles would not conform to the 5w-30 requirement. I don't know if this is a common attribute of SN+ or SP oil, but if it is, by specifying it Ford is saying "run a 20 grade most of the time except for a short time after you pour it in." I see "5w-30" in the manual and I want to use 5w-30 for the entire OCI. So, whether due to dilution or shearing or just a feature of resource conserving oil, I want to either switch to an oil that will stay in grade for a reasonable OCI (5k, or heck, at least 3k!) or change the oil at what ever frequency required, within reason. I had intended to stay with SOPUS products, cheap ones, (QS, Rotella) but will look at Pennzoil Euro L or Castrol LL if it they are more likely to stay in grade. If I need to move to a thinner 40 grade, so be it. I just don't quite know what to try after this OCI (next spring, in 2000 miles). Suggestions welcome.

I understand your concern; nice new truck at a premium price now days. Certainly want to protect it as an investment.

The thing is, there's not any data that supports a minor grade-shift being anything terrible in terms of wear control. And that is the PRIMARY JOB of a lubricant; to reduce wear. Sure, it "cools" surfaces, and it "cleans" surfaces. But it's number one job is holding wear down as best it can. In fact, vis in and of itself has zero bearing on cooling and cleaning, so the ONLY thing vis may or may not affect is wear. And there are only two ways to know if wear is in check, or out of control ...
1) complete engine teardown to measure all clearances and do visual inspections of surfaces (an ungodly expense in time and money no one in their right might is going to do every 10k miles or so)
2) run some UOAs and take the wear metals as implications as to the overall influence the oil is imparting to wear control; UOAs won't show you all wear, but you can take intelligent inferences from the wear that you do see.

So unless your wear rates are in poor shape, the vis shift is kinda moot. If you had very good wear from a 20 grade, would you automatically make it "better" using a 30 grade? Probably not. If you used a 30 grade and got good wear trends, would it degrade into the abyss by using a 20 grade? Again, probably not. And the ONLY way you'll now (in a practical and inexpensive manner) is to track UOA wear data.

The primary "inputs" to wear control are vis, FP, additives, contamination, TBN/TAN, TCB, etc ... those are all conditions which may predict a potential outcome. But the wear metals are a truthful account of what's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in the crankcase. Wear metals are "outputs" which tell you how things are occuring.

Because the truck is so new, it's totally normal to see high wear metals; residual break-in. So there's pretty much nothing to glean from early UOAs. Knowing the vis or FP isn't going to automatically tell you if something's good or bad. They will only be indications of a need to pay close attention to wear should an input go way out of whack. A minor grade shift should not be interpreted as being "way outta whack"; it's totally normal to see lubes shear, admittedly some more than others, or some sooner than others, but it's a normal phenomenon.

Though it's an older study, check out SAE 2007-01-4133. In that Conoco/Ford study, they track engine wear with OCI duration, but they also track vis as well. The major indicator they are tracking is the TCB (tribochemical barrier from oil oxidation). Interestingly, the vis starts out fine, drops from shear, then actually rises again (presumably from excess oxidation). And yet, there was no correlation in the shift in wear; the wear dropped precipitously from the onset and never rose again, despite the trials running out to 15k miles in the OCI. And if there is no correlation, by definition there can be no causation. Hence, in this SAE study, vis was proven to not be as imporant to wear control as the TCB was. Wear, in fact, didn't track with vis at all.

I'm not saying vis isn't important; it most certainly is. But it's only important in terms of controlling wear as one of many inputs. If the outputs are good, the inputs are somewhat moot as long as they're "close enough" the to the expected condition.

This UOA only reiterates stuff we already know from countless other examples here on BITOG:
- new engines experience break in wear above "normal" levels
- fuel dilution is present in DI engines
- unfortunately, most folks don't know how to properly interpret UOA data

When you have time, please consider reading this:

Last edited:
Fuel and heat shear down these fuel economy oils like nothing else. Give Quaker State Euro 5W-40 a try. It's clean oil meant for abuse and it's LSPI proof. It's basically Shell Helix Ultra in a QS bottle, the sams stuff that is used by Ferrari and other performance cars as factory fill. Can't beat it for about $15 a jug.

Back