Rotella, Delo, or Delvac in Chevy Lumina?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Want to run 15w-40 "heavy-duty" oil in a '95 Chevy Lumina with 110,000.

Beena around diesels all my life, and realize how good these oils are in relation to the usual oil that fills a cars crankcase.

Since all three (Rotella T, Delo 400, Delvac 1300) are "mixed-fleet" oils, I see no problem running them. Should give me better protection, less valve train noise and clean it out a little as well.

Anyone here have a recommendation on which I should choose? All seem fairly matched.

My only experience is with Delo...Dad ran it in his fleet of semis...good stuff.

Thanks,

Justin.

I think they are all good-from reading various posts here. It seems that Delvac and Delo have a better rep. here but that's subjective. I'm partial to the Delvac 1-but than that's a different comparison. Check out oil analysis on the diesel section.
smile.gif

welcome.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Justin:

Anyone here have a recommendation on which I should choose?

My vote goes to Delo 400. As chevron is using a group II+ base.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

Sorry for not studying yet, but what's a "group II+ base"?

Thanks,

Justin.

quote:

Beena around diesels all my life, and realize how good these oils are in relation to the usual oil that fills a cars crankcase.

Since all three (Rotella T, Delo 400, Delvac 1300) are "mixed-fleet" oils, I see no problem running them. Should give me better protection, less valve train noise and clean it out a little as well.

Anyone here have a recommendation on which I should choose? All seem fairly matched.

My only experience is with Delo...Dad ran it in his fleet of semis...good stuff.

Thanks,

Justin.

Also, do you all see any problems with running the 15w-40 grade in the Lumina?

Thanks,

Justin.

I'm using the Delvac 1300 in my 70 Mach 1. It runs higher oil temps than most daily drivers and the 15/40 offers better protection I'd think for that. The only problem you may have is cold weather starting with the heavier oil, if that applies in your area.

quote:

Originally posted by 7TFord:
I'm using the Delvac 1300 in my 70 Mach 1. It runs higher oil temps than most daily drivers and the 15/40 offers better protection I'd think for that. The only problem you may have is cold weather starting with the heavier oil, if that applies in your area.

Nope...by the time I change it in a couple of weeks, the cold weather (30 and below) should be gone. For next winter, I'll buy the 10w-30 version of whatever 15w-40 I choose to run now (Although I have to buy it bulk since no one carries 10w-30 around here by the bottle).

Justin.

Justin,

You can use Pennzoil 15W40 Long Life at Wal-Mart and for the winter use the 10W30 available at the same place. The 15W40 has a good additive package and I have seen a couple analysis on it in a light duty diesel and they were good. This way you are not changing brands twice a year.

Another option is the Amsoil 15W40 HDD. Year around use, full synthetic and cost effective. Or Delvac I, full synthetic and year around use. These are just more options.

I am using the Schaeffer's 15W40 Series 7000 semi-syn in 2 light duty diesels year around. I had a starting problem with one of them and the Schaeffer's cured that. Pour Point of -41F. Go to the top of this page and the telephone number is listed for Mills Outdoor. (1-800-737-1747) You can purchase Schaeffer's from him.

[ March 10, 2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

Sorry for not studying yet, but what's a "group II+ base"?

Thanks,

Justin.

This should help-http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/oilbasics/ppframe.htm

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
Justin,

You can use Pennzoil 15W40 Long Life at Wal-Mart and for the winter use the 10W30 available at the same place. The 15W40 has a good additive package and I have seen a couple analysis on it in a light duty diesel and they were good. This way you are not changing brands twice a year.

Another option is the Amsoil 15W40 HDD. Year around use, full synthetic and cost effective. Or Delvac I, full synthetic and year around use. These are just more options.

I am using the Schaeffer's 15W40 Series 7000 semi-syn in 2 light duty diesels year around. I had a starting problem with one of them and the Schaeffer's cured that. Pour Point of -41F. Go to the top of this page and the telephone number is listed for Mills Outdoor. (1-800-737-1747) You can purchase Schaeffer's from him.

I want something readily available, and I'm gonna choose either Rotella T, Delo 400, or Delvac 1300. All seem about the same though...guess it will depend on what mood I am in the day I buy and whether I like a white, blue, or black bottle!

Justin.

Justin,
The Pennzoil is readily available at all the Wally Worlds I have been in. If not that then the Delvac 1300S is the top choice, great additive package ect. Delo 400 would be my next one and then Rotella T.

quote:

[qb] Justin,
The Pennzoil is readily available at all the Wally Worlds I have been in. If not that then the Delvac 1300S is the top choice, great additive package ect. Delo 400 would be my next one and then Rotella T.
Why are Delo and Rotella last in your recommendations?

What are the differences between the top three HD oils (Rotella T, Delo 400, Delvac 1300), and which ones advantages would be best for the Lumina?

Also, I plan on switching the oil in the bike soon as well (to "diesel" oil), but I already posted that message over in the motorcycle forum. Heard Rotella works well in the bikes...guess Delo and Delvac would work well too?

Justin,

Good question. I have run all 3 in my truck. The Delvac seemed to run the smoothest of the 3. The Delo was next, but the engine was noisery. The Rotella for me would start to show signs of needing a change at about 2500 miles. It would start to lope at idle ect. The Delvac 1300S just seemed to be indestructable in my use. I just liked the all around sound of the engine, no issues over 5K changes. Again this is only my observations on the same truck.

The only other caution I can give is if you open a new gallon of Delvac 1300S CI formula, it will be almost black. It is a deep dark brown/black. Normal for this oil out of the jug.

[ March 10, 2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

quote:

Justin,

Good question. I have run all 3 in my truck. The Delvac seemed to run the smoothest of the 3. The Delo was next, but the engine was noisery. The Rotella for me would start to show signs of needing a change at about 2500 miles. It would start to lope at idle ect. The Delvac 1300S just seemed to be indestructable in my use. I just liked the all around sound of the engine, no issues over 5K changes. Again this is only my observations on the same truck.

The only other caution I can give is if you open a new gallon of Delvac 1300S CI formula, it will be almost black. It is a deep dark brown/black. Normal for this oil out of the jug.

Thanks for the reply!

By the way, do you see any problem with running the heavier 15w-40 "diesel" oil in the Lumina? (It has 110,000 on it.)

I'm thinking it will protect better and clean it out a little bit.

Justin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back