Rotella and Goldwing -- Series of UOAs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sunruh
you are NOT allowed to have non-motorcycle oil in a motorcycle.

But ... but ... but ... it has those magic words on the label now!

JASO-MA!

Those six letters and a hyphen do exotic things to oil and make it perform in a way completely different from before!

That's the truth. I read it on the Internet. It must be true.

Hey Kevin --

Thanks!

Yeah, the forced exile did me good. I spent time reflecting on my bad behavior and I'm now a changed man.

Truly, I am.

48.gif

Screw the "Motorcycle" forum and all their silly childish debates. Screw the moderators for not seeing the humor in my comment that I have the smallest "member" so the other can stop arguing about that. I had enough of that over on HondaShadow.net when I was a member there.

Now it's all about the oil, baby ... all about the oil.

I intend to drive my Wing to Texas and take on Sunruh ... I'll kick his Texas a** ... I will ... and I'll leave his SuperTech and Motocraft oil in the dust.

The Wing can do any terrain ... at any time ... with any oil.

Bring it on, suckahs ... bring it on!
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: kballowe
Hey Don - do they actually print that on the bottles now?

It's on the Internet, isn't it? It must be true!

Do you mean the JASO-MA thing? Yes, it is on the jug now. The 5W-40 and the 15W-40 have it ... the 10W-30 does not.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
Shear stable in what?

A 750 Honda v-twin, right? Is that the bike you're talking about?

I don't know what your 750 is supposed to use.

Yep, I am referring to my Shadow 750. I honestly go back and forth between the dino and synthetic versions of Rotella. I filled the sump with dino Rotella in November when I put the bike to sleep for the winter.

When T6 came out, I was thinking about dumping the dino in the sump come spring and running the T6 for a UOA. Now that there is a report saying T6 is the same as the previous synthetic Rotella, I might just keep the dino version.

I think I am overthinking it to be honest. Any Rotella oil is great.

Yeah, I agree with Don on the conventional Rotella. If you are doing 3K OCIs then you certainly will do well with the conventional Rotella.

Last edited:
BTW Don - I'll be in Dallas sometime in February for an extended stay. I'm thinking the weather is MUCH better there than in St Louis. I'm gonna drag one of the bikes down there so I'll have something to ride.

Hey Kevin ... cool about being in Dallas for an extended stay. My February is still in flux ... if I thought I had some time to come over to Dallas on Wing I would. But I hope you enjoy your time there!

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon

I intend to drive my Wing to Texas and take on Sunruh ... I'll kick his Texas a** ... I will ... and I'll leave his SuperTech and Motocraft oil in the dust.

The Wing can do any terrain ... at any time ... with any oil.

Bring it on, suckahs ... bring it on!
happy2.gif

i have a bed waiting for you to sleep in.....or the curb is nice.

we'll take your wing to some trails. it might be to wide to fit though. we'll bring the "tools" to get it to fit. cordless sawzall should do the trick. plus it will make the wing a little lighter and therefore better mpg.

after that i'll send you to the local hd-megaplex so you can buy some $14qt "name" oil and you can head back home.

Ever see the movie "Transformers?"

Well, my Goldwing is like that!

Yes indeed ... instantly transform to any condition! Superslab tourer, ultra-nimble trail bike ... it'll do it all.

And it came with Megan Fox ... but in my case she doesn't talk.

All because I use Rotella.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: whitesands
Thanks for the report Don....Looks really good.

Thanks ... I'm starting to wonder just how long I'll do the UOAs. Maybe a few more times to establish four or five data points. But I suspect the numbers will stay fairly level.

Considering Mother Honda says 10w-30 dino oil is good for 8k miles, along with the filter, and their oil is run-of-the-mill (to put it politely), I'd say your OCI plan is sound, if not too conservative.

Running a bunch of UOAs to develop proof is always a good thing, and we all appreciate your endeavors. But the money you spend on UOAs is killing your ROI. However, if you want to continue them, then I'm willing to live vicariously via your UOAs!
thumbsup2.gif

At this point, you've made your point! Dino HDEOs are well suited for this type application. Let the nay-sayers say their nays; the evidence is very clearly pointing otherwise.

Thank you very much for all your efforts, time, money and dedication.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
Originally Posted By: whitesands
Thanks for the report Don....Looks really good.

Thanks ... I'm starting to wonder just how long I'll do the UOAs. Maybe a few more times to establish four or five data points. But I suspect the numbers will stay fairly level.

Well, as newton said we appreciate really your efforts..I've used Rotella 15W40 for 13,000 miles (2,000-3,000 OCI's) in my bandit 1250 and it's worked very well...These uoa's are valuable in confirming the research and is really helpful to alot of folks tired of the marketing mess....Just one stout conventional oil that is widely available at a good price!

Makes me feel good about using Rotella 15w40 in my 87 Kawasaki Voyager. It came highly recommended for my bike by a longtime motorcycle mechanic.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Running a bunch of UOAs to develop proof is always a good thing, and we all appreciate your endeavors. But the money you spend on UOAs is killing your ROI. However, if you want to continue them, then I'm willing to live vicariously via your UOAs!
thumbsup2.gif

yeah no kidding.

after 54 uoa's and a dozen voa's i'm not all jazzed about doing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have grown ill myself. Purchased 6 gallons of Delvac 15w40, back when Checkers had it for $5 a gallon. Running it in all three of our bikes.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I am tired of Don and Sunruh using their collective leverage of intelligence and evidence to convince everyone that dino HDEOs are viable, productive, competitive lubes.

When will you both learn that only mega-expensive PAO M/C-only oils will get your rig past 1k miles. Why, if you listen closely, I'm sure you'll hear the crank bearings galling, pistons scuffing, lifters seizing, and the cams rusting.
smirk2.gif

Just look at those numbers. Low wear metals, nice vis numbers, good low insolubles with a consistent statistical approach.
thumbsup2.gif

Your memberships in the Motorcycle Lubricant Lovers Associsation Against Common Sense and Intellect are hereby revoked. You two sicken me!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back