Rotella 5W40 Synth. Good deal at $12.84/gallon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have thought along the same lines as you. However, Rotella T synth is apparently mostly Group III, so not a "true" synth in the eyes of many. The question is whether Rotella T is twice as good as Chevron Delo 400 or Mobil Delvac 1300, both of which are roughly half as expensive?

I agree. However, I would have a hard time running the 15w40 weights, I think. My particular application calls for a 'five' weight of some type. Too bad I can't afford the diesel yet!

FYI, you may also look at the 10W-30 Chevron Delo 400 (not the same as Chevron Supreme). My local Sam's Club has plenty of both oils at very reasonable prices.

Sure, great product, cheap. It looks like the Syntec 5w-50 is available in big jugs for $4 a quart, that would be my choice for a PCMO, if you need HDMO, get the Rotella.

I found this at Advance last week and then realized last night at Wally World that they had reduced the price from twenty-something to about the same as Advance. I own a VW Jetta with the 2.0 litre engine as well as a Saturn L200 with the four cylinder. I've been running Mobil 5w30 dino with fine results, just wondered if the Rotella would be a good alternative at a relatively affordable price?

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Ashley

Would someone car to explain, or direct me to explaniations of, the differences between group III and group IV oils? More importantly, why it actually matters to the everyday passenger car driver???

Thanks,
Ashley

quote:

Originally posted by Flash:
Would someone car to explain, or direct me to explaniations of, the differences between group III and group IV oils? More importantly, why it actually matters to the everyday passenger car driver???

Thanks,
Ashley

Ashley,
Group 3 are very highly refined crude oils. Group 4 uses some dino oil materials, but it's synthetized and the end product is nothing like dino. Group 5 is made from alcohols and other stuff and requires NO dino raw materials whatsoever. Many if not all here consider G4&5 to be the tru sysnthetics.
Rick

EDIT: I must mention that the G5 oils made from alcohol are the Ester types. G5 is a "catch all" which includes ALL other oils that do not fit the criteria of the other 4 groups.

[ February 02, 2004, 01:24 AM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

The Group III/ IV arguement kind of catches oils like the Rotella T syn 5w40 in a tough spot.

The reality is that it is formulated in the same way as the Group IV oil is, but uses a different base material. In Rotella T syn's case, that base material is a slack wax, where Group IV's typically use some other gas. By definition, this makes the Rotella T syn a group III that is made basically the same as a group IV.

Priced around $13 a gallon, its a decent buy. I'm currently running it in my Jeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back