Rotella 15w40 diesel oil in volvo penta gas engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella 15w40 is designed for diesel engine.

Can we put it in a gas engine?

i have a 5.7gxi volvo penta engine in my boat and want to put 15w40 instead of thick 25w40. what about Rotella 15w40, i read a bunch of boaters that used Rotella in their gas engine. But why Rotella specified diesel engine and not gas engine?

http://s08.static-shell.com/content/dam/...le-brochure.pdf

Look @ SPECIFICATIONS AND APPROVALS: API SM is listed.

Now, view this: http://www.api.org/certification-programs/engine-oil-diesel-exhaust-fluid/~/media/Files/Certification/Engine-Oil-Diesel/Publications/MOM_GUIDE_ENGLISH_2013.pdf

Scroll down a bit and you'll see that SM is a current category for 2010 and older automotive engines.

In other words, Rotella is perfectly acceptable for usage in your gasoline engine.

Originally Posted By: Yannick
Rotella 15w40 is designed for diesel engine.

Can we put it in a gas engine?

i have a 5.7gxi volvo penta engine in my boat and want to put 15w40 instead of thick 25w40. what about Rotella 15w40, i read a bunch of boaters that used Rotella in their gas engine. But why Rotella specified diesel engine and not gas engine?

You must be confused. Both oils have the second value on the label as 40 which means they will both be within the same viscosity range when at operating temp.
At start up the 25w-40 will be thicker than the 15w-40 which in my world is no biggie,unless you are starting that boat in sub-freezing ambient temps.
But to answer your question yes you can use rotella in your gas engine. I use it in my diesel forklift,my gas compressors,my Harley and my other bikes,and various other engines.
It's a great oil in the right application

The bottle has the API CI-4/SM seal which indicates it's rated for diesel engines api ci-4 and gasoline engines api SM.

It may not be written on the bottle, you have to read the API seal donut.

Originally Posted By: Yannick
why Rotella only write on bottle Diesel engine, and not diesel and gas engine?

It's safe. Really. If you don't believe it, contact Shell and ask them. They'll confirm it.

It is marketed and aimed at diesel engines. But it is perfectly fine in gas engines. I use it all the time in gas engines.

I've been tunning Rotella 10w30 in my Volvo I/0. It is an older fuel injected Ford engine that calls for 30w. I have many boater friends who have been running 15w40 forever whether it be the Amsoil or Rotella with nothing but great results. The Amsoil is actually labled as Diesel and Marine oil. You can rest assured that your engine will run great with it.

Been using it in all of our gas and diesel marine vehicles. No problems, engines run great. Couldn't think of a better oil for engines that run at high rpm all day long.

Also use it in most of the private vehicles, all of the muscle cars, all of the propane and diesel forklifts, generators, motorcycles, and pressure washers.

Yes, I'll give another thumbs up for dual-rated 15W-40 oils in marine applications. Just check the label for SL or SM. The "S" is for spark ignition (gas engines) while the designations beginning with "C" are for compression ignition engines (diesels).

There ARE a few diesel-only oils out there ... but I have never seen one in 15W-40 weight.

http://www.imakenews.com/lubritec/e_article001552218.cfm?0,w

Originally Posted By: cchase
I've used Rotella 15w40, T6 5w40, and T5 10w30 in my 4.3 Volvo Penta with good results.

Same here, well except for using T6 5w40 - I havent tried that yet.

But so far, Ive used Delvac, Rotella & Delo in the 15w40 weight in my Volvo Penta 4.3 EFi engines. This season however, I used Rotella T5 10w30.

I actually log every drop of gas/penny put into the gas tank and mile traveled, and this year my fuel economy is up ~.57mpg. I have nothing else to credit that too except for using 10w30 semi-synthetic T5 this season vs. conventional 15w40, last season.

But yeah, Ive "always" used HDDEO in my marine engines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back