Rotella 15W40 2,125 miles 1970 VW Beetle

Status
Not open for further replies.
VW%2BBeetle%2BUOA.jpg

Same engine, 1955 cc. Unsure where the 1600 cc reference came from. Maybe my error!

The only problem fixed was the addition of an external screw-on oil filter and adding Liqui-Moly Ceretec. Something for additive haters to chew on!

What oil did you use before?
What oil filter (make/model) did you use this time?
Why are you going through so much oil? (100% replacement during OCI)

What oil filter kit did you put on it? How difficult was the installation? Do you also have a deep sump?

I've got Mobil 1 10w40 HM in my aunt's 1970 Beetle now (basically my car). It has a 1500 Single Port. I've previously run Rotella 15w40 and Mobil 1 TDT 5w40.

Would like to do a UOA some day and add in an external oil filter.

My dad put 120 k on a 70 before he parked it. Engine was fine.also 145k on a 74 that he crashed. Both went that many miles on pz 10w40 and nothing more than the stock oil screen

Holy ZDDP! Those reading are much higher than other Rotella UOAs I've seen.

Edit: Hmm, could the Cera Tec be the culprit?

Last edited:
Guessing you could've extended OCI further and used sample probably wasn't grayish/dark as UOA looks strong..
blush.gif

Hey vintageant.....

What did you do to boost your zinc/phos levels?

Did you pour in a bit of break-in additive? Redline perhaps? I'm curious what you used?

I also want to know, did both UOA's have the remote filter installed or just the most recent?

Other than LM Ceratec, no other additives. Did forget to mention that my original oil fill was 2 quarts Rotella 15W40 HDEO plus 1 quart Valvoline 10W40 motorcycle oil, but I believe its ZDDP is about the same as Rotella.

Remote filter was added after that first nasty UOA, plus i have magnets on the outside of the filter - no idea whether that helps or not, bu I am pleased with the much better results.

causation-and-correlation.png

Rather obviously, you're trying to use this UOA as a method to legitimize Cera Tec; there are simply too many variables at play here for that to be reasonable.

1. Look at silicon. That's a 126% difference, yet you've completely neglected to mention it!

2. Oil filter. Purolator doesn't provide comprehensive testing data. However, if we pull up the comparable Wix, you'll see a beta ratio of: 2/20=6/20

Spelled out, that's...

50% @ 6 microns
95% @ 20 microns

PcUHKr3.png

D0wdGxN.png

The number you see there would be micron rating @ 98% efficiency, so the Wix would be comparable to filter G.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

1. Look at silicon. That's a 126% difference, yet you've completely neglected to mention it!

How extraordinarily astute! I also neglected to mention the 2923% difference in magnesium!

It's unfortunate to see that's your rebuttal. Either you have a completely flawed notion of UOA's, or are eschewing data for additive marketing purposes.

Regardless, when you say this...

"something for additive haters to chew on"

...your intent is well known, and it should be obvious that you're not interested in anything that runs counter to what product you're trying to push. My mistake for thinking you were better than that.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
Always used 15/40 HDEO since I bought in 2012.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to try the new Maxlife Heavy Duty 15w40 available at WalMart?

Thanks for the UOA. Interesting.

All I know is, Rotella doesn't have those zinc or phosphorous levels. That additive must have it in there. It claims to help prevent metal on metal wear, which is what zinc and phosphorous do. I'm not saying that's all it has in it, but I'd bet money it does. It's not like these oil additives put the ingredients in the back of the bottle.

Well, Lucas Oil stabilizer does... Because there's nothing in there but a thick, low quality oil.

And the previous fill has the viscosity of a 50 weight.

Well here's what I know
My UOA with Maxlife 5W20 came with the following Additive levels
This was in a 5 quart sump and I had to add I think 3 quarts of oil over the course of the OCI after Ceratec was added.
Code:

Sodium 415

Potassium 6

Titanium 4

Molybdenum 235

Boron 330

Magnesium 13

Calcium 2207

Phosphorous 640

Zinc 842

A VOA of Maxlife 5W30 from PQIA done in Sept 2014 (sorry, this was the newest I could find)
Stock Maxlife had
Code:

Sodium 441

Potassium
Titanium
Molybdenum
Boron
Magnesium 8

Calcium 2016

Phosphorous 749

Zinc 810

So, it pretty much only added Moly and Boron. Maybe some Calcium too? But it is within 10% so maybe not.

I looked for just a Ceratec VOA and I couldn't find it/didnt feel like searching more than just the first pass to see if anything recent.

As far as why this UOA is so out-of-wack?
1. OP isn't telling us everything
2. Blackstone's equipment wasn't calibrated and measured P and ZN wrong
3. Blackstone put the wrong sample information into this report.

Im personally a fan of 2 and 3. But his Moly and Boron numbers are in line with what I got from Ceratec so probably 2.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not saying the OP is a liar or anything. But we've all seen enough UOAs to know when something is too far away from the norm. It's very likely that Blackstone showed him the wrong results or that they weren't calibrated.

I would definitely holler at them and let them know that the results don't seem right.

You'd think those guys would notice something like this.

Unfortunaly, I think they only keep the remainder of the sample for 24 hours, so what was left is long gone by now. So, we are without a way to retest and left with the data here.
Hopefully OP will send another sample in for his next OCI and we can get a better picture.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back