Rotella 15W-40 Users Whar is your OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I run this 5000 miles/6 months max in some of my gas engines. They tend to have a lot of fuel dilution...80's era VW 4cyls...and the cost of an UOA is more than the cost of an oil change, so I just change it.

I have used Rotella 10w30 in the in-laws GM V6 stuff and follow the OLM. Usually 6k-7.5k OCI.

We used to use a 15W40 HDEO in everything on the farm; cars, pickups, trucks, tractors. It was mostly all Kendall SuperD-III, but the same idea. We ran all the autos on 5,000-mile OCIs. This went all the way back to at least the late 70's to early '80's. Never had engine troubles in anything that was related to oil. Things always died from tranny failure, total destruction of the body/chassis/interior, or in a couple cases from a certain brand of air filter not fitting the airboxes properly and grinding the internals to powder.

If you're a highway guy I'd go 7,500 miles and then you could sample (if you want) to see whether 10,000 would work. Around town I'd stick with 5,000 unless I did a sample.

5K miles for any HDEO 15w40 is a piece of cake.

Is Rotella too thick for your cold weather ??
dunno.gif

LT4, I don't think its too thick. It really has not been that cold around here anyways this year. When I bought the truck it had 15W-50 in it and the cold starts were fine.

I got Rotella T Heavy Duty 10w30 in my 89 Mazda B2600i.
No problems yet but just put it in today. Rotella and other heavy Duty or diesl oils have lots of detergents and anti-foaming additves? I think?

I think you will have to check to see if it meets your trucks requirements. I'm new here but I think that is what I read about the HDEO's

I am going to be using Rotella 15W-40 in my 22RE Toyota. How long are people running Rotella in gas engines? I am pretty confident in 5k OCI, but I don't want to waste oil either. Any recommendations?

I'm not aware of any big-name HDEOs (Delo 400, Rotella T, Delvac 1300S, etc.) that are SM. Maybe Schaeffer is. I'm not sure they will be SM either because I don't think the blenders will want to drop Phos that low in an HDEO. Not that they maybe couldn't do it, just that it would be more expensive and they'd lose their price point in the market.

No the rotella I used, I think it said SL/something else. I need to look at my jug next time I'm at the shop to be sure but I think it's an SL oil.

SL rated....this is good:)
I use it...dayum fine UOA's and more importantly the motor (LS1 600HP) loves it....I run it 1000-1500 miles...depends on how many runs we make in addition to going to get milk in town.....

I use Delo 15W40 in both of my trucks, (pick-ups - not the big over the road rigs). Currently, in my '96 Chevy with a 305 V-8, I changed the oil back in August at 107,000. Truck currently has 113,000 miles on it and oil looks good and clean. Miles are a combination of around town trips, (ten miles or less), to across the state trips, (150 miles or more).
I was using this same oil, (Delo 400 15W40) in my daughter's '95 Saturn SC1. It was doing a wonderful job of cleaning the motor. When I first started, the oil would be dark and dirty in less than 1,000 miles. In time, it got to the point that, like my truck, the oil would stay nice and clean for a long time, AND oil consumption dropped from one quart every 700 miles to one quart every 1300 miles, (I assumed it was cleaning the ring pack as even a 20W50 would not slow down the oil consumption). I was well pleased. Then she wrecked the car. And I had just changed the oil.

I have seen delo 10w30 at Advance auto
walmart here only has 15w40
I only have seen SAE 30, and 15w40 rotella

This is North east ohio by cleveland.

Stores, Napa, autozone, advance auto, walmart
Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back