Rotella 10w-30; 3k miles; 42k miles on Dmax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave,

Clearly your tires are going to go rotten from oxidation before you need to change the oil!

ttt;
Dave, what's your opinion on the level of Potassium in your UOA above?

I ask because my 2011 LML with the last two 15,000km oil changes it is showing 11PPM and 18PPM Potassium and I'm wondering if this is something to be concerned about??? The rest of the parameters are okay.

Last edited:
Unless I see K and Na together, both in elevated levels, I don't worry to much about it. Both can be additives in some lubes, so you have to understand the VOA starting point.

If you don't have evidence of coolant disappearing, and you don't see significantly elevated levels, I'd not worry about it. The greatest concern would be to see ever-increasing levels. If your levels are steadily under 20ppm, with no coolant loos, I see no real issue with that.

Last edited:
what is the coldest temps you experienced during start-up during those 3 years?

Very impressive...I'm planning on running my current T5 10W-30 for a year or longer this time around.

I have used the Rotella TP dino 10w-30 in cold starts down below -10F repeatedly. Two years ago it was -17F and it started fine. In fact, it never rose above zeroF for several days, and I started the truck both at home and at work. The starts at work never had the aid of a block heater or anything special.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back