rotary compressor breathing air

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2013 sullivan palatek D375 portable compressor for media blasting. I have a RPB nova 3 respirator package with a coalescing filter. i know of the precautions i need to take with a setup like this and the need for a carbon monoxide alarm. What i can't seem to find is the oil that is least likely to kill me. ester, food grade, synthetic? i just cant seem to find anyone willing to tread that ice for me. planning on spending countless hours getting my breathing air through a screw compressor soaked in oil. whats the least awful way to do this oil wise?

DO NOT TRY TO USE YOUR COMPRESSOR TO SUPPLY BREATHING AIR!!!
You have to get a setup made for this purpose. The lungs you damage will be your own.
Do some research on supplied air setups for breathing air, please

Example- https://www.bullard.com/product/air-driven-pumps-

there are others out there, but please don't try using you compressor to supply breathing air

Last edited:
I would think you would have to have filtered air from an oilless compressor.. at the least.

It is more expensive to treat oiled compressor oil to breathe than to get the right stuff.

If power is an issue then the alternator on the compressor can be upgraded and you can run an inverter.

Rod

Its been years since I've worked with compressors for breathing air in confined spaces, but if memory serves the whole system has to be rated for breathing air.

The compressor, the hoses, even the metal quick disconnect fittings since any of this can off-gas chemicals that would normally just disperse harmlessly into the environment, but would now be delivered directly to the person in the mask.

Dang. Its a little late now. Didnt see enough red flags before i made the purchase. i think i had read that all of the oil less compressors on the market right now for my application leave the operator suffering

Originally Posted by themaxx
Its been years since I've worked with compressors for breathing air in confined spaces, but if memory serves the whole system has to be rated for breathing air.

The compressor, the hoses, even the metal quick disconnect fittings since any of this can off-gas chemicals that would normally just disperse harmlessly into the environment, but would now be delivered directly to the person in the mask.

When I painted my car at the local community college, they had a Grade D system that was plumbed post the main compressor. It had a CO alarm and a 3 filtration stages along with a coalescing filter that took care of oil and water mist. It was one of these systems: http://pfcequipment.com/pfc/index.php/2016-04-01-19-51-55/martech

Air for SCBAs and scuba diving is grade E and have even tighter tolerances - and a scuba compressor is a reciprocating type with a special synthetic oil. Kidde made a lot of scuba compressors, now it's Bauer.

Master call Quincy compressors. I know for a fact that they have systems for their rotary screws.

Might just be cheaper/safer to buy bottled breathing air. I know it was when I was in that business (of needing to supply air to people in confined spaces).

You MUST use proper filters for breathing air. I used to service breathing air compressors that filled breathing air bottles for our fire department. The oil was just a synthetic compressor oil, but the filters were very specific. Do not try to use compressed air without the proper filters and warning systems. The filters remove oil, dust, water, and other contaminates and as stated above a carbon monoxide alarm is used to ensure no CO gets into the air. Air stored in metal tanks or piping is also unsafe to breath, as rust develops it takes the oxygen out of the air and then you take a few breaths and you can pass out and die if nobody finds you in time

Originally Posted by pitzel
Might just be cheaper/safer to buy bottled breathing air. I know it was when I was in that business (of needing to supply air to people in confined spaces).

Make friends with a scuba diver. Dive shops are an easy place to get breathable air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back