rotaries and the right oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dino,10W40 or 20W50 according to people I`ve known who`ve had them (RX-7 twin turbo models).

Last edited:
What does the manual state? I seem to remember Honda saying NOT to use synthetic oil on their rotary engine, but I honestly don't remember so I can easily be mistaken

There's nothing that's all that different between the RX8 and the RX7. Honestly, I'd use 10w-40 dino and I'd also premix the gas with either motor oil or TCW3. The Apex seals need all the help they can get, as those engines are not long lived.

I think synthetic oil damages the apex seals over time, as pao oil is combusted it leaves a hard residue on the apex seals.

Honda rotary?

Suzuki had a Wankel rotary engine, but I cannot remember a Honda rotary.

FTR, before I knew better, I ran Castrol Syntec 5W50 in my 12A. I never had any problems which either says a lot about how good the 12A was or how overrated the early Group III Syntec was.

I know better now. Don't use synthetic.

You can use synthetic if you plumb up a separate tank for the oil injection system, and put something like TC-W3 in that tank. That will keep the apex seals happy.

Or just use dino, way less of a PITA. Today's dinos are excellent oils.

wankel engines favor dino, easier to burn off and lubricate apex seals. Synthetics are more resistant to burn off. Mazda sells a semi syn that is ok for use in the rx8

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back