Roofing Panel H-Clips

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're in the final stages of putting a new roof on our house. The job has included extending the eaves, insulating and redecking in some places. H-clips were used in some areas originally with the sheathing and were specified for use in the new work.

I think, though, that the H-clips were not actually installed with the new decking. I found a big unopened box of them among left over material, and I don't remember seeing them used when they were redoing the decking. (I was up on the roof several times during the day when most of the redecking was being done, but I was following other aspects of the work and didn't think about the clips).

I'm not sure how to address this lack of clips with the company. I don't think that it necessitates redoing everything, but I can imagine that leaving out the clips might affect the structural integrity of the job somewhat.

It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't installed. The whole housing construction and remodeling industry in the United States is full of flunkies. Dumb mistakes are an everyday occurrence in the field.

Did your installation require H clips? Depending on the span they may or may not be needed.

If the job spec'ed H clips and they were not installed, the inspector and contractor should be held accountable.

"Floating" joints where the sheets of plywood come together will move up and down if the H-clips are not used.

Your suspicion is right... you might have a real problem on your hands.

IF the seams between the sheets of plywood land right over a joist no H-clip is needed there. Maybe they planned well and used mostly full sheets.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Ask to see the sheathing inspection report. Around here a roof requires a sheathing inspection and a final.

It's all shingled over. I doubt there's a report.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Did your installation require H clips? Depending on the span they may or may not be needed.

If the job spec'ed H clips and they were not installed, the inspector and contractor should be held accountable.

I agree. It just seems like it will be a real hassle. I've read around and they don't seem to be critical in most applications. It's just disappointing. Everywhere you look people cut corners.

Originally Posted By: ET16
Originally Posted By: tom slick
Ask to see the sheathing inspection report. Around here a roof requires a sheathing inspection and a final.

It's all shingled over. I doubt there's a report.

Was a permit issued at all?

Go in your attic and look for clips on the sheathing.

Unfortunately, I only have a small area of attic. The rest (85%) is closed cathedral of some sort. I'll look where I can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back