Roof racks.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly will be picking up a 2019 Equinox LS next month. Has pretty much everything I need, but one thing-a roof rack. It is the only model without either the holes for or an actual roof rack on it.

So, if it get it, it looks like an aftermarket roof rack for me. So that gives me a few questions..

1- how well are they working for you? Would like mine to hold a bike/ travel storage for trips...

2- Had a friend damage his rubber trim bad on his escape using one(this was a few years ago though) Don't want any damage to mine (may start as a lease) Has anyone had issues with this?

Trying to get a feel for whether I want one, or if it may not be worth it.......

Someone at GM needs to be fired over that. That's crazy. A vehicle that is classified as a "Utility Vehicle" doesn't have a factory roof rack available? Sheesh.

I'm interested to see what folks say about the after market ones because I haven't seen one out there that doesn't muck up weather seals over time or scratch the paint. Good question!
thumbsup2.gif

I've have a clamp-on Thule on my Focus. Been on for at least 15 months total and my seals are just fine.

I also bought some sheets of clear-bra material and applied it to everywhere the roof rack touches paint.

Last edited:
I've had Yakima roof racks since the 80s.

First class fit, engineering and durability with an exemplary warranty. Wide variety of accessories to hold everything from bikes, to lumber, to kayaks, or cargo. I've still got Yakima cross bars and a skybox on one of my cars now.

Great company. Great products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Someone at GM needs to be fired over that. That's crazy. A vehicle that is classified as a "Utility Vehicle" doesn't have a factory roof rack available? Sheesh.

I'm interested to see what folks say about the after market ones because I haven't seen one out there that doesn't muck up weather seals over time or scratch the paint. Good question!
thumbsup2.gif

The majority of those vehicles are purchased for the look of the vehicle, rather than its utility. Some of those purchasers absolutely do not want to see a roof rack on top, they prefer the cleaner look of their "utility" vehicle. Looks cool when you drop the little ones off in front of their school.

My base model forester doesn't come with them, but at least has the captive nuts in the roof for it. I am planning on an aftermarket set of rails and already have a roof basket.

I made some homemade mounts and put the basket on the roof for a camping trip over the summer. It worked well. 300 miles loaded with some light items on it. Camper and Forester were full.

If Yakima or Thule make one that fits they tend not to damage anything if installed correctly.

When my wife was SUV shopping we did not even consider vehicles without the rails. Thankfully my Thule cross bars for my 2004 WRX wagon I bought used then work perfectly on her 2018 Tiguan and are the proper spec'd one. Be Leary not he $100 jobs on Amazon, the bars are flimsy however if tie your stuff to vehicle well it may be okay.

We have a ski box which is used in summer for long trips too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by daves87rs
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Does the Equinox have a glass roof?

Nope

The Highlander I had had a moon roof that spanned most of the roof and it had a roof rack with cross-members that were stowed in the rails until needed. I have a similar system on my Caravan. It's great because it's always there when you need it but not in view when you don't.

Originally Posted by SeaJay

thumbsup2.gif

The majority of those vehicles are purchased for the look of the vehicle, rather than its utility. Some of those purchasers absolutely do not want to see a roof rack on top, they prefer the cleaner look of their "utility" vehicle. Looks cool when you drop the little ones off in front of their school.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by daves87rs
Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Does the Equinox have a glass roof?

Nope

The Highlander I had had a moon roof that spanned most of the roof and it had a roof rack with cross-members that were stowed in the rails until needed. I have a similar system on my Caravan. It's great because it's always there when you need it but not in view when you don't.

Originally Posted by SeaJay

thumbsup2.gif

Kinda wish GM did this...

Originally Posted by madRiver
If Yakima or Thule make one that fits they tend not to damage anything if installed correctly.

When my wife was SUV shopping we did not even consider vehicles without the rails. Thankfully my Thule cross bars for my 2004 WRX wagon I bought used then work perfectly on her 2018 Tiguan and are the proper spec'd one. Be Leary not he $100 jobs on Amazon, the bars are flimsy however if tie your stuff to vehicle well it may be okay.

We have a ski box which is used in summer for long trips too.

I have heard goo things about both those brands..

Like the box idea...one of the reasons I would want one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back