roof luggage box recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a Hyundai Santa Fe. It has a roof rack and it looks like I may be in the market for a luggage carrier. Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't want one that is too big, and it would be good to be rain proof. Does anyone has experience with Thule products? Any other brands? Thanks!

I bought one from Sears about 9 years ago for my Cherokee (clamshell type with locks). I've used it a number of times and am happy with it. It's not hard to put on/take off, however it does take about 20 minutes.

When it's on I park the Jeep in the shop with 10' tall doors. Don't forget about it and try to pull in the garage....

You cannot go wrong with Thule or Yakima products. They are both the top tier and true high quality. You pay more but in my opinion you get a proper fit and nearly perfect working components.

I just bought a Thule 1600 Evolution. All of the new Thule and Yakima boxes have quick attachment hardware, so they go on and off very quickly (the first time I put it on, it took about 5 minutes - less to take it off)
I would recommend the new silver top boxes of either line. They cost a little more, but are lighter and won't get as hot inside from the sun as the black boxes do. Better for your stuff.
I noticed that a lot of stores are moving to the more bag-like setup. With advances in materials, I suspect these will work as well as boxes as far as protection from the elements, but I would be afraid of it scratching the top of your car since I don't think they can sit up on the rails like the boxes do - of course, I could be wrong.

I've noted that there is now a trailer hitch trunk available. That would help on fuel mileage but make it difficult to open the rear door. I've used the rear trailer hitch decks on my van and ended up draggin a couple gas cans behind my van in Mexico. The trunk style looks like the way to go im my opinion.

I've had a few people push my van through gridlock because they didn't notice the trailer hitch deck.
cheers.gif
I bet the damage to thier front air dams had them scratching their heads for a while...if I was a mean spirited person I would have hit the brakes and really messed their cars up. hehehe

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back