Rolex price increases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I dont like them... Ive been VERY happy with my seamaster, but always wanted a nice two-tone rolex.

Im not a fan of many of the other 'high end' makers, including tag, breitling, bulgari, movado, etc. Just personal choice...

If not an omega seamaster or a rolex, Im not particularly interested. I have one of the original seiko kinetic watches, which Ive been happy with - I also used to wear a 30+ y.o. timex automatic, but it eventually bit the dust.

But Im in the market for a real rolex now.

JMH

In 1997, for our first anniversary, I bought my wife "a stainless steel and 18K yellow gold oyster perpetual datejust with champagne tapestry dial, yellow gold fluted bezel, and stainless steel and yellow gold jubilee bracelet" (at least that is how it is described on the insurance appraisal). There are probably thousands of other variations on the oyster perpetual, making it tough to compare prices year to year.

I paid about $4400 for it in 1997 - I bought it as a gift, so I don't worry if it is appreciating or depreciating. If you are thinking of buying one, I would think of it as a nice handcrafted machine that tells pretty good time, not as an appreciating asset or anything like that - other than the commodity value of the precious metal, they are not a real liquid asset.

I don't know about the other Rolex's, but the oyster perpetual needs to go in for cleaning/service every three or four years and that runs around $400 - $500 every time.

Myself, I wear a Hong Kong made Xonix.

Check out other options, too. I think I've made it clear in the past that I'm not much of a fan when it comes to late model Rolex watches. I'd like to point out that I do like some of the older Rolex models, though. I find most of their new models too pimp and garish for my taste. Unfortunately, Breitling went the same route with many of their models, although some of their classic models still look fine.

Look also into Chronoswiss, Fortis, Glashütte, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Sinn, and Zenith. Sinn is THE bargain brand when it comes to high-end, highly functional watches. They even have a silicone-filled, mechanical, diving watch.

Always make sure you know what caliber you are getting when buying a watch. Often people spend 5 grand on a brand watch with a $200 movement!

Spending a few thousand dollar on a watch is in my opinion not a waste, considering it's something I have on my arm 18 hours a day and something that will last a lifetime with care. Some may think that's crazy, but I'm sure I don't waste my money on some things they consider worthy.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Win:

If you are thinking of buying one, I would think of it as a nice handcrafted machine that tells pretty good time, not as an appreciating asset or anything like that - other than the commodity value of the precious metal, they are not a real liquid asset.

nope, not curious about prices for that reason... I just know that year after year they go up in the store. I was just kind of curious how much they bring them up, year after year... but based upon the number you provided, its less than I had thought... granted, i can only go by St. Thomas prices...

Thanks,

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Check out other options, too. I think I've made it clear in the past that I'm not much of a fan when it comes to late model Rolex watches. I'd like to point out that I do like some of the older Rolex models, though. I find most of their new models too pimp and garish for my taste. Unfortunately, Breitling went the same route with many of their models, although some of their classic models still look fine.

Look also into Chronoswiss, Fortis, Glashütte, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Sinn, and Zenith. Sinn is THE bargain brand when it comes to high-end, highly functional watches. They even have a silicone-filled, mechanical, diving watch.

Always make sure you know what caliber you are getting when buying a watch. Often people spend 5 grand on a brand watch with a $200 movement!

Spending a few thousand dollar on a watch is in my opinion not a waste, considering it's something I have on my arm 18 hours a day and something that will last a lifetime with care. Some may think that's crazy, but I'm sure I don't waste my money on some things they consider worthy.
wink.gif

Thanks for the insight...

Are you aware of different caliber movements in the oyster perpetual datejust?

I have an older one that beats at a lower rate... definitely noticable in the sweep second hand.

Ill have a look at the older watches... though Ive been prety much set on the oyster perpetual datejust 2t... But I need to save for something after that!!!

Thanks,

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
granted, i can only go by St. Thomas prices...

I have no idea how prices in the Virgin Islands relate to mainland prices.

I am sure there are places that sell Rolex's cheaper than where I got the wife's. One of the concerns that I had (which may or may not be well founded) was the possibility of getting a counterfeit (sp?) product. So I went to a business that I was certain was beyond reproach and paid accordingly.

Jewelry in general, and gemstones in particular, are something that I have zero expertise in, and I feel the better approach is to purchase from a premium salon whose reputation I can rely on, even if it means the upfront cost is greater.

The extra peace of mind is worth it to me.

Have fun shopping!

note: edited because I can't spell!

quote:

I have an older one that beats at a lower rate... definitely noticable in the sweep second hand.

I really don't know what caliber options you got in the oyster perp date. I haven't been keeping track of Rolex, because I simply don't care for them anymore.

You can't tell if the movement is a slow or a faster beater by looking at the second hand. Today, I would consider 28,000 beats per hour normal, 36,000 would be fast. 18,000 bph used to be normal. The second hand usually advances in 1/3 or 1/5 second steps. This is more or less important if the watch is a chronograph. You can spot a mechanical movement by observing the second hand. Most (not all!) quartz watches advance the second hand in choppy 1 second intervals, the second hand on mechanical watches moves smoother, which is aesthetically more pleasing.

counterfeits are certainly an issue. The seller in the VI, AH RIISE is a major authorized retailer. And, its duty free.

My GF's cousin works for the company, so I have an 'in'...

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

quote:

I really don't know what caliber options you got in the oyster perp date. I haven't been keeping track of Rolex, because I simply don't care for them anymore.

You can't tell if the movement is a slow or a faster beater by looking at the second hand. Today, I would consider 28,000 beats per hour normal, 36,000 would be fast. 18,000 bph used to be normal. The second hand usually advances in 1/3 or 1/5 second steps. This is more or less important if the watch is a chronograph. You can spot a mechanical movement by observing the second hand. Most (not all!) quartz watches advance the second hand in choppy 1 second intervals, the second hand on mechanical watches moves smoother, which is aesthetically more pleasing.

Youre right, all of my mechanical watches sweep in 1/5 second intervals...

However, listening to my omega seamaster vs. my c. 70's rolex... there is definitely a different sound.

I was told that this is due to a lower beat count of the old rolex vs. the new omega (new vs old w.r.t. production date). My knowledge is limited, but the explanation worked for me and made sense... moreso since youve told me about beat counts...

Thanks!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:

Rolex manufacture all their own movements, so you won't end up getting a cheap Valjoux or other movement in the Rolex. At one time the Daytona chronograph was using a modified Zenith movement, but now Rolex have their own. The Zenith is a superb movement and the Daytona is highly regarded no matter which movement is inside.

I also have the Omega Seamaster,Blue wave dial & skeleton hands "James Bond" version without the 007 on the dial. The retail price on it has gone up around $150.00 bucks in the last year but hadn't gone up before that for several years.

quote:

However, listening to my omega seamaster vs. my c. 70's rolex... there is definitely a different sound.

Well, you weren't talking about the sound before. Yes, a fast beater sounds different, and I'm talking not about the ticking but about the oscillating noise the balance wheel makes.

quote:

Rolex manufacture all their own movements, so you won't end up getting a cheap Valjoux or other movement in the Rolex.

1. Valjoux has gone the way of the dodo. At least the 7750 is still built by ETA. Valjoux wasn't cheap but rather inexpensive. The final fit, finish, and modifications were dependent on what company used them.

2. Rolex movements are not the ultimate in watch design, techinologiacally or in terms of quality. That's just a perception. Rolex is just the best-known, most famous watchmaker. Rolex makes over 1 million watches per year. They are making a mass product with name recognition! And speaking of modern Rolex design, gah.

3. The only Rolex movements I'd consider are the 1570 and the 3135.

thats like saying I dont get the 'nice engine' thing...

after all, a geo 3-cyl is more or less the same as a ferrari. At least thats how I look at it...

JMH

quote:

I don't get the ultra expensive watch thing.
I mean,from 10-15 feet away, they are pretty much the same.

So you're saying you will buy only nice things that others can admire from afar?
tongue.gif

See, I couldn't care less about perception. When I look at my watch to check the time, and believe me, my arm isn't 10 feet long, I want to see something I enjoy. I'm the kinda guy who will not buy a car that has an ugly interior, even if the outside is cool. That's why I once passed on buying a Mitsubishi 3000 GT! I loved the outside, but hated the interior. I'm not buying stuff so that others feel wowed or get jealous. I simply buy what I like and what fits my taste.

PS: Regarding "ultra expensive" watches: Do yourself a favor and search for a Patek Philippe with the caliber 89. That pocket watch has over 1,700 parts and nifty complications like a comprehensive celestial chart. Sold for 5 million bucks! By the way, I think it's totally hideous, and I wouldn't want that horological monstrosity.

http://jckgroup.com/article/CA413446/jck?industry=Watches&industryid=674

-

http://gallery.andrewng.com/albums/Timepieces_Patek/00002patek.sized.jpg

[ September 12, 2005, 10:08 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

I got lucky about twenty years ago. Leo Hamel in San Diego was selling some used Rolexes for really good prices. I got a Submariner for 800 dollars, and did not at the time realize it was a Red Letter Submariner--very rare:

-

The word "Submariner" in red letters doesn't show up on my scanner...

Here's a link about these watches:

http://www.redwatches.com/page7.html

This one brought 5 grand on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-Red-Subma...028963837QQcategoryZ31387QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have only had this watch serviced one time in the last twenty or so years I've owned it. Some folks believe that's not enough, but others say that so long as the watch is running well that it shouldn't be tinkered with.

I wouldn't pay the price for a new one, but I'm of course very happy with this one.
smile.gif

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back