ROKU Television

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Wonder how that industry is doing these days?? And in the future.

Very few jobs in the US pay that much. And with the REAL unemployment well above 10-15% spending $800 on TV a YEAR (or more) is not a great move IMB.

Very well as a matter of fact. Most are working a 5 day week, I know of one working a 7 day week around the clock.

As far as the future goes, no one knows that holds.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
$1200 a week is a decent living, its not like you are affluent and living high on the hog like the owner of a BMW or Benz.

Ya, but I do very well on a VA disability with alot less than that. House paid for, vehicles paid for, not I do not drive the BMW or Benz tho, as I no longer see a need to impress anyone. $1,200 a week would be very affluent for me.

All depends how one wishes to spend their wealth.

Very frustrated cable payer here. I require good internet speed and phone for work. I planned on Comcast only internet and using it for VoIP and Netflix etc. However Comcast limits best internet speed I think 5 Mbps which is not enough for ,myself.

Bought a Roku 2 XS in December 2011 for $80.
I can catch up on Journal Editorial Report when I miss it.
You download Crackle and get more free movies, Newscaster for news channels.

A few months ago I bought a Kindle Fire; it came with a trial Amazon Prime, which is convenient to watch on the Roku. Been watching free NYPD Blues.

I found out today that my level of Charter Internet comes with free Epix channel to watch online, so I added that.

Thought I should add, I have NO connections with ROKU or the company or any of its retail, wholesale outlets in any way. Me or anyone in my family.

Strictly coming from a comsumers viewpoint.

What advantage of Roku over say a Blu-ray player with built in Hulu Plus, amazon, Netflix, pandora etc? I have a $59 blue-ray (sony) that does it all albeit laggy interface likely due to slow internal computer.

We got a Roku around Christmas and we use it nearly every single day for streaming Netflix, Amazon movies (we're Amazon Prime members) or listening to Pandora. Have even used it to watch a couple things on Hulu, Crackle, NASA TV and to check the weather. For comparison, we also have a Samsung blu-ray player that also does Netflix & Pandora.

Advantages? It's a tiny box what takes almost no power. The user interface is fantastic, nice to look at, extremely intuitive to use and very, very quick. The remote is a small, no nonsense unit with very few buttons - just enough to get done what you need. We've also never had a connection problem with the Roku (massive connection issues with the Samsung blu-ray, even if they are sitting next to each other).

The Samsung interface is horribly clunky and slow, to the point that I rarely use the Netflix or Pandora capabilities. I would rather walk into the other room and get the Roku, its wall wart & remote (all of which easily fit in one hand) and plug it into the other TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back