RockAuto Sucks! or How Rockauto charges excessive shipping with pics.

Rockauto is not good for folks that one a “one click” purchase kind of experience nor is it good if you need your parts immediately. Rockauto is phenomenal for folks that can plan in advance, stack parts from a single warehouse, and have some time to wait for the parts to arrive. There is no one-stop way to shop for car parts, shop around.

Alternative title:
How rock auto made me rage quit buying parts from them.

So shopping for wiper blades for the 2020 hyundai.. oem inserts arent available.. and oem blades are $55 for pair(at local dealer)

So I go on rock auto and select 2 blades.. ooo clearance total is 10$.. but wait there's more Billy Mays style..
they are shipping the blades from 2 separate warehouses. Jimmy thats just 13.98 additional shipping.

Ok pick 2 more wiper blades... nope those are mysteriously coming from separate warehouses too.

Ok select 10 wiper blades.. Finally found a set coming from same warehouse.

Remove the other 8 wiper blades... now those 2 that were just coming from same warehouse... coming from different warehouses...

The end.

Went to amazon ordered a set for $18. no shenanigans.

I know previously we have discussed how outrageous their shipping warehouse bait and switch is.. but this is egregious .

see pics pay attention to the warehouse change.
View attachment 46798

View attachment 46799
RA has been doing this for years, I actually talked to them about this exact thing about 5 years ago, at first they "didn't understand" what was happening and implied I was mistaken. Then they acknowledged that it might happen only in certain circumstances...BS. I now buy about 10% of what I used to buy from RA, because of their "warehouse shipping tricks". But then again, Amazon sells so many fake parts that is a gamble too.

I was excited to see an exhaust on sale there. Until I got to the shipping, it was over $300!!! I guess the length was an issue. But at that price I can get 3 pipes locally. I do still use them, you just need to play the game of switching stuff around till the shipping gets better. I often times add stuff like filters or small things and it does get better.

Yeah but you get a FREE MAGNET in every box. The more shipping locations the more magnets you get. Thats the benefit, dident you know that?
It’s always so disappointing when you don’t get a magnet or when you get one you already have. Lol. Heck half the time I don’t get a magnet lol.

The shipping thing I understand. I manage a system that handles shipping out of multiple warehouses and even contracts out to different suppliers to ship. Depending on the warehouse location, or even the size of a package, it can drive the shipping costs through the roof. The specific wiper blades you want may be shipping from the other side of the country. Or the individual warehouse may have a contract where their shipping charges are calculated by box size instead of weight (rare, but can be a thing with Fedex and UPS). Majority of our shipping costs are weight and distance.

I have continued to use Rockauto. I like having a very large selection of parts while having an interchange available in one single spot. I did try to use amazon at one point and ended up with a used balljoint. So that was the last time I used Amazon for everyday auto parts.

I've bought probably $300 in parts over the last few weeks for my Jeep. Would have been much more expensive if I had gone through a local parts store. Having to ship the caliper cores back is kinda crappy but I can do it. Even if I hold onto the calipers, it's still cheaper than buying locally and returning the cores.
You're on the right track. Essentially, Rockauto is a dropship management company (and I doubt they actually "own" any parts). They have access to many different warehouses that can have different inventory. If you research the different addresses that they ship from, they come back to third parties.

When you order from Rockauto, they're telling Joe's Parts in Pittsburgh that they need to ship out a muffler, and they're telling Sam's Parts in Toledo that they need to ship out a pair of axles. Sometimes, you get lucky and Ben's Parts in Nashville has a different brand's muffler and axles in stock. But, sometimes Ben's Parts may have the muffler and One axle, so the second axle needs to come from Sam's Parts, because they don't also have the muffler.

Sometimes you have to play the "cart shuffle" game to find the right combination, source the outliers from elsewhere, or eat the additional shipping charges.

Wiper blades in particular can be a PITA to purchase from Rockauto because that instantly means they need to ship in a long rectangular box. You go from needing a 12x12x12 box to needing a 12x12x24 box.

I wouldn't say it's intentionally malicious, but it's not the smartest process either. It would help if RA had a feature that said "Hey if you switch this X brand part to this Y brand part, you can avoid an extra shipping fee"

Yeah but you get a FREE MAGNET in every box. The more shipping locations the more magnets you get. Thats the benefit, dident you know that?
Yeah I've got maybe 25+ magnets....

I normally try to buy my parts all from the same warehouse if I can. Prices for me are usually better than local shops. It's a pain, bit until someone can do Rockauto like selections with Amazon Prime shipping model, what can we do? Amazon in Canada is usually much more expensive IMO.

Yeah I've got maybe 25+ magnets....

I normally try to buy my parts all from the same warehouse if I can. Prices for me are usually better than local shops. It's a pain, bit until someone can do Rockauto like selections with Amazon Prime shipping model, what can we do? Amazon in Canada is usually much more expensive IMO.
me too, my magnets are lined up on the hurricaine braces on my garage doors.

They likely use an algorithm to make more things available, and it is up to YOU to decide how you want it.

Do you want to buy from one single source that ship for less but a higher price? or do you want multiple sources with excessive inventories who sell for cheaper? RA only just combine them and list only the lower price. I think it would be even more confusing if adding item makes the prices go up instead of shipping split up, right?

I see alot of people posting their rock auto experiences and calling others whiners..

In this case I have to believe you didnt actually look at the first post or perhaps you missed the point entirely.

To reiterate:

I HAD the 2 wipers coming from same warehouse. deleted a part from the cart and it moves the 2 wipers that were coming from warehouse to 2 separate warehouses.
that isnt optimization. That is thievery.

I checked 20 wipers if you pile them in 6-10 at a time.. it will show bunches coming from same place.(usually 2-3 warehouses total A B C)
as soon as you whittle it down to 2 wipers they are magically not coming from the same location even though they just showed they were coming from the same location.

That isnt someone playing their game wrong.. that is deliberate flagrant theft.

I see alot of people posting their rock auto experiences and calling others whiners..

In this case I have to believe you didnt actually look at the first post or perhaps you missed the point entirely.

To reiterate:

I HAD the 2 wipers coming from same warehouse. deleted a part from the cart and it moves the 2 wipers that were coming from warehouse to 2 separate warehouses.
that isnt optimization. That is thievery.

I checked 20 wipers if you pile them in 6-10 at a time.. it will show bunches coming from same place.(usually 2-3 warehouses total A B C)
as soon as you whittle it down to 2 wipers they are magically not coming from the same location even though they just showed they were coming from the same location.

That isnt someone playing their game wrong.. that is deliberate flagrant theft.
I read your post. Suck it up, move on, utilize other vendors.

This again? Friggin' crybaby's. Don't use Rockauto! Problem solved.
For some, it takes lots of connected neurons to come to that realization :)
It's very simple, they depend on your money...keep it in your wallet!

Especially if they screwed you once.

Back