RockAuto prices vs a dealer online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking for a fuel pressure regulator and the same Mopar part was $42 from dealer online sales and $46 from RockAuto. Even with the 5% off, the dealer is slightly cheaper.

Amazon has the same part main price of $52 (free shipping) and secondary prices of $43.

Shop around.

If Rockauto is selling Mopar parts,and they aren't a Chrysler dealer (they aren't),then they are buying thru a nearby dealer,so you pay Chrysler's markup,the dealer's markup,and Rockauto's markup.I think RA is only doing Mopar now to cover more bases,for coverage,and to catch every brand specific customer.Even if they have to pay more for it....

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
If Rockauto is selling Mopar parts,and they aren't a Chrysler dealer (they aren't),then they are buying thru a nearby dealer,so you pay Chrysler's markup,the dealer's markup,and Rockauto's markup.I think RA is only doing Mopar now to cover more bases,for coverage,and to catch every brand specific customer.Even if they have to pay more for it....

Not necessarily. Sometimes a business can get stuff like that through distributors at or even below dealer cost (if the distributor buys a ton of something). Rock Auto probably doesn't buy anything through dealerships.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I was looking for a fuel pressure regulator and the same Mopar part was $42 from dealer online sales and $46 from RockAuto. Even with the 5% off, the dealer is slightly cheaper.

Amazon has the same part main price of $52 (free shipping) and secondary prices of $43.

Shop around.

For parts that cost above $80-100 I do shop around.

Few OE parts from dealer(s) around the 48 states are cheaper, shipping included, than Rockauto, Amazon and eBay.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Shop around.

14 years ago I needed a power window switch for my Saturn. A local junk yard said they had one for $40. After trekking around in the rain and mud and not being able to find the car to pull the part I went to my local Saturn dealer and bought a brand new switch for $48.

Yep, shop around and don't assume the dealer's price is jacked up.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
]I think RA is only doing Mopar now to cover more bases,for coverage,and to catch every brand specific customer.Even if they have to pay more for it....

Really?

Anecdotal, I'd say it's the other way around

Common Mopar parts (pads, filters, belts) have disappeared from RA for my '13 300, where there used to be choices

Shop around, indeed. Rockauto is a great resource, but they are not the only game in town.

I've ordered from a couple of Mopar dealers online and got the same experience with both- most parts back ordered, no in-stock date, the rest came a couple WEEKS later. Of course they were happy to charge me shipping again if the parts ever did come in.

I live in Australia.
The Rockauto prices for parts like cam belts, idlers, spark plugs are about a quarter of the local prices.
Shipping doubles the cost, FedEx is fast but expensive. Still get the parts at half the local price though.
Heavy items like brake components are not worth importing due to the shipping cost.

If you live in the USA though, definitely shop around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back