Rock Chip touch up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning on doing some touch up paint repair using this little tool that looks like a dentists' tool: Looks like a writing instrument but the tip looks like a small vessel that takes about 1 cc of paint, which oozes out of the funnel that ends in a pinpoint tip. It dabs little beads of paint onto the chipped area.
Is there an ideal ambient temperature and humidity level to do this? I was planning on using a hair dryer and on low fan/ low heat from a distance, heat up the surface and paint reservoir and carefully apply the paint. Hair dryer because I've seen that it helps with applying paint/headlight protection. Any advise appreciated.

Are you talking about a tool like this?

[Linked Image]

If so, I can't give advice about temp and humidity, but I will say that I have to thin out my touch up paint to a "water like" consistency for best results.

Spartan yes that is exactly the tool I have. For car paint, what thinning agent do you use? Regular paint thinner?

Depends on the paint manufacturer. I have used both "paint thinner" and "lacquer thinner". I find LT works better for most automotive paints.

Look into "Dr. Color Chip" products. They should be having a Black Friday sale, probably 25% off.

Their product and that paint pen that was posted above would work well.

I've used the Dr. Color Chip pain before and worked well on a charcoal metallic paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back