Robust 0W20 alternative to Castrol 5W20 ? JLR V8

I've used Amsoil's SS oil in many of my vehicles for years. I'll be using SS 0W-20 in a 2013 Dodge Dart at the next oil change (got a free PP oil change at the dealer this fall). FWIW I"m using Amsoil Premium Protection 10W-40 in a 1996 Jaguar XJ-R with the supercharged 4.0. I use the Jag in the winter when the roads are nice. It has no block heater, and has never failed to start even down to -25°C. I'd be completely comfortable using Amsoil SS for your 5.0.

Originally Posted By: ringmaster
Late model Jaguar / Land Rover with the AJ-V8 Gen III 5.0L that was originally filled with Castrol Edge Pro 5W20.
My rig will see lots of sub-zero cold starts so my plan is to switch to a high-quality 0W20 synthetic. Good idea?
Of these readily-available options in my market does one stand out as the best choice for engine protection?
Motul 8100 Eco
Liqui Moly Special Tec AA
Mobil 1 AFE
Mobil 1 EP
As a side note, this info from a Land Rover forum is interesting.

My shop has switched to 0w20(Castrol Edge Pro E) on the 5L engines completely (unless 5w20 is requested by a customer) and I personally use it in my own engine.
The +15my 5L and the SCV6 have now switched their spec to 0w20, with almost no internal changes to the engine. I have done all the research that lead me to make the switch, but all on my work computer, but Castrol specs the 0w20 pro-e as backwards compatible for JLR engines that spec 5w20.
My main reason for making the switch was the number of VVT faults(P0016/1 when the weather got cold. Most were absolutely fine if restarted after running for a few minutes, and had no further issues following a simple oil change, but several required VVT actuator replacement. The spec change by LR for the newer model years have followed a very minor change to the internals of those very actuators.

Check the oil finder guide page of Castrol.co.uk to see which oil is recommended, then check Liqui-Moly.de to see all of their recommended oils, BUT if you have an extended warranty stick with the dealer oil and send off a UOA sample to check if they are using the right drum!

If the LM site lists a Synthoil, that might well be the best oil, BUT a tad more expensive than Shell Ultra.

JLR state that for the AJ133 engine in USA & Canada, the primary recommendation up to and including MY2014 is ST.JLR.03.5004, which is a 5W-20. However, it also states that the newer spec, ST.JLR.51.5122 (a 0W-20 intended for MY2015 and newer) is backwards compatible to older AJ133 engines.

Originally Posted By: ringmaster
Originally Posted By: jayg
Are you in the US?

I know it's not in your 4 choices but Toyota Genuine Motor Oil 0w20 is a fantastic oil. I've started it down to -35F now unassisted and it can go long drains with no problem. It may be much cheaper than the Motul options if you have a Toyota dealer close by.

Yes the Toyota 0W20 synthetic is easy to get at a low price but it is actually a better oil than the ones I listed above?

Not really. I'd use AFE 0W20. As an added perk in most cases you can get it cheaper in a 5 quart jug, and take advantage of rebates, roll back prices, etc.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
A robust 0w20 for overkill effects would be redline oil 0w20. Pumps at -76 and its A5 rated. Nuts!

That might be a winner! The specs almost look more like a 0W30, don't they???

ACEA Service Class A5 B5
API Service Class SN/SM/SL/SG/CF
SAE Viscosity Grade (Motor Oil) 0W20
Vis @ 100°C, cSt 9.1
Vis @ 40°C, cSt 48
Viscosity Index 172
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @ °C 55@-35
Pour Point, °C -60
Pour Point, °F -76
NOACK Evaporation Loss,1hr @ 482°F (250°C), % 9
HTHS Vis, cP @150°C, ASTM D4741 2.9

If you are playing the Redline League, I'd also look at Motul for other offerings than the 8100 Eco mentioned ...

I'm not knocking Redline products - I have some on the shelf for use where needed. They have go-to solutions for tricky issues. This may be one of those times...
smile.gif

Last edited:
Bringing this one back. Looking for the most wear protection possible over a 6k drain interval. The warranty has expired so approvals aren't a concern.

The MY2015+ factory oil is Castrol EDGE Professional E 0W-20 "approved for use in Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles that require a lubricant with the ST JLR.51.5122 specification."

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/33B3BFD1858D410380257F38004D2C34/$File/BPXE-A68K67.pdf

vs

Redline 0W-20

https://www.redlineoil.com/0w20-motor-oil

Back