Robotic tire changer

Spent the last 30 years in manufacturing - I go to multiple plants a week. 30 years ago robots were uber expensive, rare, slow, and not particularly flexible.

Now there cheap, fast, ultra reliable and everywhere. Plus no one wants these jobs anymore.

It will happen, and it always starts with the simple, repetetive tasks first, because there the easiest to program and hardest to find affordable labor to do, and if you do find affordable labor to do it they will get board, daydream, and screw something up - badly - like not tighten the lug nuts for example.

Ummmm.....what??? You have to be trolling.

Wish I had the "not sure if serious" Homer Simpson GIF for this situation.
I think you're the one trolling in not quoting my entire comment.. How nice of you to cherry pick to try and start an argument.. Typical troll procedure..

I said.. "an investment in a robotic, no error machine would reduce or eliminate customer's damage claims that DT would have to pay out.".. And last time I checked I am able to have my own opinion without being approved by anyone .. too funny.. good try troll.. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, that's real cool in a perfect world. Good luck with a messed-up lug nut, wheel frozen to the hub, or even wheel locks. And how do you get the robot back on track when you have a simple issue like corroded bead seats, and among many others, etc. Stupid waste of money idea all around.

Yeah, that's real cool in a perfect world. Good luck with a messed-up lug nut, wheel frozen to the hub, or even wheel locks. And how do you get the robot back on track when you have a simple issue like corroded bead seats, and among many others, etc. Stupid waste of money idea all around.
A lot of guys here have vivid imaginations. It seems every time I'm at a tire place, someone is swinging a mallet in at least one of the stalls. But hey, that's the real world......

Now back to one robot replacing 20 guys.

I’m sure they are a work in progress. Like any new technology, will have to work out the bugs

A lot of guys here have vivid imaginations. It seems every time I'm at a tire place, someone is swinging a mallet in at least one of the stalls. But hey, that's the real world......

Now back to one robot replacing 20 guys.
In that case you will have 1 robot with 5 guys, over time go to 5 robots with 3 guys, 10 robots with 2 guys, 20 robots with 1 guy, etc. It will probably take 20 years to reach that.

Self checkout is not build in 1 year.

I’m sure they are a work in progress. Like any new technology, will have to work out the bugs
That's exactly what this is. DT probably got this setup for free so the manufacturer can continue to develop it.

I don't see this being a viable solution for most shops for at least 10+ years.

Today's robots are great when they know what they're working with. With a tire change stall, there are way too many variables for this setup to be effective. Perhaps you could program it as a Tesla lane, and all Teslas pull up to the white line. Even with that amount of static data, there are a lot of other variables to consider.

Where's the video of it in action across multiple vehicles?

I love watching and listening to people try to "predict" the future. It reminds me when we were kids back in the early 60's. We thought by 2000's everyone would be driving these incredible futuristic looking, streamlined cars like George Jetson drove.

Even back then Popular Mechanics told me my car would fly in another 20 years. Instead we ended up with this kind of crap.

3wcSfvO.jpg

Looks pretty good on 1 year old california cars... If it was that easy all the time you sure wouldn't need a robot.
What about swollen lugs, wheels seized to hubs, rounded lugs, rounded off or partially cross threaded studs, and it doesn't seem to clean or lube the hub wheel interface?
The wheels and hubs on my focus need a good wire brush session every springs around the centering flange or you will press fit the wheels onto the hubs with the lugs! Makes changing a flat a much bigger problem than it should be...

Back