Robo calls .

To my fellow Canadian and American friends.
Are you guys getting bomb barded with calls telling you your social insurance # has been hacked or improperly used by you in a fraudulent manner charges have been laid call and speak to one of our agents right away !
Well normally i get one maybe two a week, Tuesday i received 8 calls from these M.F , so i decided to play along , guy answers the phone i string him along a bit telling him i"m really concerned i don't want to go to jail etc, etc, he states i need some information to get the process going, he asks me to spell my name for him So i spell out Harry Kock , he immediately hangs up This cat was real quick he figured me in a split second

I know in the USA that we have a Do Not Call registry. You have to register your phone number, and then you can report unsolicited calls. Occasionally I do report them. Some weeks I don't get any, others, it seems like I get them every day.

You are not alone. My usual daily robo call count is 6-8. I have had SS# calls too. I usually get calls from "police officer", microsoft, God, grandpa, court baliff and many others. I am glad my land line phone's voice tells me who is calling so I just don't answer it. Once you answer them, you will get more, so don't play the game with them. Only three people have been given the number to my cell phone and I get no robo calls whatsoever. I won't give it to anyone else.

I get a ton. Most big carriers have spam blocker so make sure its activated. It does catch 80% or more. I dont usually answer calls from numbers I don't recognize either. I call them back and if its a robo call i block it and report it.

Eat their time.

“Yes, I’m very interested / concerned.....”
”I’ll just grab my wallet with all my details for you ....”

Then gently put the phone down on the table and go make a cup of coffee for yourself. They have never been on the phone when I get back.

If you make them hang up on you, then you win the game.
Get good at wasting their time, and they seem to stop calling you. Well it has worked for me here.

An acquaintance of mine likes to tell them he was recently in an auto accident with brain trauma, and he has short term memory problems, but bear with him. Usually about the eighth time they have to explain the same thing they get frustrated and hang up.

I assume all calls are scam and robo nowadays and hold it for a few seconds until I hear who is it, whether I am expecting this call. If they say they need something from me I'll get a case number and I'll look up the phone of the organization (bank, gov, shop, school, etc) and call from the number I googled instead of the caller ID or listen to them.

This is likely happened for a while already, I suspect most door to door charity request are really just scams to begin with (if you go further I would say most legit charities are scam to begin with).

If a caller isn't in my contacts I let it go to voicemail. If they don't leave a message it's not important. Some scammers will leave a voicemail and it's easy to tell it's a scam, some are just laughable.

I've even got text messages that look like scams, some with a link. Never ever click it, delete text immediately.

i answer strange numbers. " Larrys car care. can i help you?". some may try to start their speel and i repeat my refrain. Larries car care can i help you? ..... click.

I haven't gotten a call in a while. We cancelled our land line 2 years ago and only use cell phones. When I get a call like that usually block the number after. I know they can spoof numbers.

Sometimes when they get through I play along and then I ask them for their employee number. They usually hang up. Once it was a female caller. I asked her the same question and she replied it was 1245. I replied it was two digits too short and she hung up.

I know in the USA that we have a Do Not Call registry. You have to register your phone number, and then you can report unsolicited calls. Occasionally I do report them. Some weeks I don't get any, others, it seems like I get them every day.
Yes but that is only for landlines. Spam call to us mean our cell phones ringing constantly, I normally have my phone set to ring only if they are in my contact list but otherwise, they will leave a message if its important.

I never pick up my home landline, if its important, leave a message and maybe I will listen to it some day or week. Spammers ignore the do not call list for the most part.

About three weeks ago I posted in the Humor section something I said to make the warranty calls stop. After three days the thread vanished so I dont know what happened there. But you may try this when they call.. "stop talking, my answer is YES, I would love to give you a face ride".
Then the quit calling.

Back