Robert Wickens drives an IMSA car at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course

"It’s been 989 days.

989 days since everything changed for Robert Wickens, since his traumatic accident at Pocono Raceway on Aug. 19, 2018, left him paralyzed from the chest down."

Wickens ran around 25 laps Tuesday morning in a testing opportunity that Herta recently offered up to the former IndyCar driver. At the moment, Wickens said he has no firm racing plans, whether that be in IMSA, IndyCar, Formula E or anywhere else and talks are slow.

I had a developer bring a hand-control steering wheel over my house a few years back. I have a small garage machine shop and he needed some minor tweaks for a particular driver, so I let him use my shop. Having never seen one before, I was fascinated with the mechanical bits of it.

This particular one was a design where the entire wheel was pushed for brakes, and had a 360 degree "pull" ring for throttle. The wheel's designer claimed that it could actually improve a drivers lap times.

Here is a different design:

zYRK39NXX0etXpfDWivXwYfac3ZRkhWXdUTEUB2ekvl4976d1EdA4fe7KAnG9EIkVtKygDT9Syc0U3dKqH5CzGpu9SvQGkjwz1NEqsWBSjNVHm5MEgFI0R1besNlSHJMNwWYyQ7WOZH8sMe2vd8szpJHUqBm8JcpHjOPceM

Sam Schmidt who is paralized from the neck down has run a Corvette on the Indy oval and road course.

He uses a breathing tube for acceleration and braking.
The steering wheel follows his head using Arrow technology.

Back