Roasts: what kind do you folks buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specifically beef roasts. I enjoy a nice bottom or top round toast in crock pot. I got a few nice ones at my Foodland earlier this week. They were buy 1, get 2nd one 75% off.

Roasts, as most red meat and poultry (mainly dark meat of the chicken) are rich in zinc, a very important mineral to be getting in adequate amounts right now. RDA is 11mg for men, 8 for women. UL is 50mg (upper limit). Beans and legumes are rich in zinc as well.

Zinc is not stored in the body and intake has to be maintained. Also, sweating depletes the body of zinc. Athletes or anyone who sweats a lot should consider supplementing zinc.

Thank You for the info friend
smile.gif

A friends family and mine split butchering a grass fed cow once a year, so basically we get a variety of cuts/roasts. I never really pay attention to what kind I grab to throw in the slow cooker. They all come out tender and taste great so I can't really comment.

Zinc oxide is poorly absorbed (with regard to supplements) as compared to zinc gluconate, zinc citrate, and the newest form zinc picolinate. Any supplement using zinc oxide they are cheaping out. Most of the sub lingual zinc lozenges (e.g. Zicam) are zinc gluconate.

chuck roast is my favorite in the crock pot or electric pressure cooker.

The short vertical grain lends itself to a more tender roast IMO.

If I need to use some of the other roasts with horizontal grain I will cube(large) them so they arent as stringy

If i am crock pot or pressure cooking I usually try to find a 7 bone steak for my roasts.

Go with a chuck roast.
Aldi has an Angus Chuck roast pretty consistently for $4-4.50/pound that is vacuum packed that is my current go-to. If a supermarket has a sale for less I will hit that too.
Half a bottle of cheap red wine, a bag of Liptons Onion Soup Mix, a can or two of cream of mushroom soup, and whatever other liquid to bring it even with the top of the roast. 8-10hrs in the crockpot and you won't need a knife.

Chuck roast or brisket. Brisket in the crock pot makes an excellent pot roast.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Zinc oxide is poorly absorbed (with regard to supplements) as compared to zinc gluconate, zinc citrate, and the newest form zinc picolinate. Any supplement using zinc oxide they are cheaping out. Most of the sub lingual zinc lozenges (e.g. Zicam) are zinc gluconate.

It's nice to see the truth. b12 is another cheap out as it needs to say "methyl" in the first part. And "ascorbic acid" is not Vitamin C. OOPS. Rabbit trail. I'll stop.

Last edited:
Anyone done roasts in an insta-pot? My wife does ours in a crock pot for most of a day. Any difference if we tried the insta-pot for less time? How long would you pressure cook it?

I have cooked only a few eye rounds, bottom rounds and hams in the oven.
Since the slow cooker (wedding gift) does such a great job I've been using it for shoulders and butts.
Also, BiL has been the spearhead of smoked meat. Briskets and fowl here.

I'm waiting for one of the new-fangled pressure/speed cookers to appear at my local thrift stores. No need to spend $200 on one of these.
Also, since they're prominently displayed at Walmarts, I figure they're appealing to people's consumerism.
I always have time to let that wave pass.

QUICK SHOW of HANDS: How many know to braise / sear your meat before it goes into the crock pot / slow cooker?
Yes, it adds a step and adds a pan to clean but it adds so much flavor.
If you ain't, I urge you to do so. You'll be glad you did.

Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by Kira

I'm waiting for one of the new-fangled pressure/speed cookers to appear at my local thrift stores. No need to spend $200 on one of these.

they are about $70 now.

not even looking for a sale
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B00FLYWNYQ
$80

We have one called a Ninja Foodi, wife got it last summer for $149 I forget where but it pressure cooks, air fries, air crisps, broils, and can be used as a crock pot style slow cooker as well (I have reservations about how well it will replicate a crock pot). The thing about it is, you really need a recipe that specifically tells what settings and how long to set them for, etc. It came with a rudimentary booklet of quickie recipes, mostly one-pot stuff. Wife found a great cookbook for it at a clearance house retailer's book section, it was titled something like Ninja Foodi Keto Cookbook, and was published by the company (I think) that makes the Foodi. It's about 3/4" thick so not exactly chock full of recipes but a decent reference to have on hand. The recipes we've tried where we've prepared them by strictly following the instructions, have turned out well. We experimented a few times trying to whip up some moderately complex dishes of our own accord with it, and they mostly did not end well. They were edible and not terrible, but not great either. I'm sure these multi use insta-pots take a lot of practice before you can start free lancing your own recipes. We're not at that level yet, LoL !!!

Have to correct myself. A Mitsu dealer in St. Louis County has opened (kind of a bad time to do so), but I don't wish 'em bad. Haven't checked before posting but I think Mitsu sales were on an uptick, although it's probably a dead cat bounce.

Just checked their website-- lots of Mirages in stock for special Internet price of $21,000+. For a Mirage? Tons of get your financing here blurbs. Looking for the lowest denominator. Looks like a late nineties Kia set-up. Think dealer is re-purposing an old Honda dealership that had been selling used cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Have to correct myself. A Mitsu dealer in St. Louis County has opened (kind of a bad time to do so), but I don't wish 'em bad. Haven't checked before posting but I think Mitsu sales were on an uptick, although it's probably a dead cat bounce.

Just checked their website-- lots of Mirages in stock for special Internet price of $21,000+. For a Mirage? Tons of get your financing here blurbs. Looking for the lowest denominator. Looks like a late nineties Kia set-up. Think dealer is re-purposing an old Honda dealership that had been selling used cars.

Thought we were talking bout food
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back