Roadtrip in our 18 CRV

We're in the middle of a vacation, currently in AZ. In total, we'll drive a total of about 2500 miles by the time we get back to the midwest. A few observations on our CRV (which we've owned since new):
-we live smack dab in the middle of the nation in very flat terrain, and have never noticed any difference with the ECON button on vs. off. We just always leave it on at home. However, with the elevation and mountainous driving we've been doing, I can really tell a difference. The CVT tries harder to maintain low RPMs when ECON is on, which really bogs the vehicle down on mountain roads. Vehicle drives much more responsively in mountains with ECON turned off.
-So far (about 1200 miles in), we're averaging 32 MPG. That includes driving in lots of elevation changes (from ~1200 to ~8000 ft. elevations) as well as a lot of headwinds and crosswinds, which really do a number on gas mileage.
-I have not had a perfectly flat surface to check the dipstick, but the times I have checked, the oil level appears to be climbing. If that's really true, we are experiencing fuel dilution in driving conditions that shouldn't be leading to FD. I'm reserving judgement til we get home and can check on a known level surface.

Normally, after doing a couple of UOAs on this car, I'd do my next oil change at 4000-4500 miles, but due to all the highway miles, I was planning on pushing this OCI to 5-6k. If the oil level truly is rising on the dipstick, I may still change the oil early. To be determined...

The oil in there is 3.2qts Castrol EDGE 0W20 and 0.5qt Castrol EDGE 0W40. I estimate the virgin cSt at about 8.8.

We're in the middle of a vacation, currently in AZ. In total, we'll drive a total of about 2500 miles by the time we get back to the midwest. A few observations on our CRV (which we've owned since new):
-we live smack dab in the middle of the nation in very flat terrain, and have never noticed any difference with the ECON button on vs. off. We just always leave it on at home. However, with the elevation and mountainous driving we've been doing, I can really tell a difference. The CVT tries harder to maintain low RPMs when ECON is on, which really bogs the vehicle down on mountain roads. Vehicle drives much more responsively in mountains with ECON turned off.
-So far (about 1200 miles in), we're averaging 32 MPG. That includes driving in lots of elevation changes (from ~1200 to ~8000 ft. elevations) as well as a lot of headwinds and crosswinds, which really do a number on gas mileage.
-I have not had a perfectly flat surface to check the dipstick, but the times I have checked, the oil level appears to be climbing. If that's really true, we are experiencing fuel dilution in driving conditions that shouldn't be leading to FD. I'm reserving judgement til we get home and can check on a known level surface.

Normally, after doing a couple of UOAs on this car, I'd do my next oil change at 4000-4500 miles, but due to all the highway miles, I was planning on pushing this OCI to 5-6k. If the oil level truly is rising on the dipstick, I may still change the oil early. To be determined...

The oil in there is 3.2qts Castrol EDGE 0W20 and 0.5qt Castrol EDGE 0W40. I estimate the virgin cSt at about 8.8.
Thanks for the ride. I get better mpg on the highway when I'm not on cruise control, you might try it both ways. Re econ mode: I think it lugs the engine so I leave it off at all times. Jmo. Stay safe out there.

Thanks for the ride. I get better mpg on the highway when I'm not on cruise control, you might try it both ways. Re econ mode: I think it lugs the engine so I leave it off at all times. Jmo. Stay safe out there.
Thanks! It's so easy to speed in this vehicle that we typically set the cruise to 5-8 MPH above the speed limit. As for econ, it does not lug the engine at all if there's no hills or elevation changes. For the longest time, I never noticed any difference when off vs on. It took driving in hilly conditions and high elevations to even notice.

Thanks! It's so easy to speed in this vehicle that we typically set the cruise to 5-8 MPH above the speed limit. As for econ, it does not lug the engine at all if there's no hills or elevation changes. For the longest time, I never noticed any difference when off vs on. It took driving in hilly conditions and high elevations to even notice.
Good, I thought Econ mode got the car into top gear more quickly. Really good mpg. I vote for the shorter oci.

Econ is trash and made no difference when I tested it on our CRV. What's funny is the sales guy made it seem like a huge deal (mpg-wise) when we test drove it. He made it seem like we'd go from 30mpg to 40mpg with the way he was hyping it up. Yeah, lol....

How Honda’s ECON Button Works​

If you’ve never used the Honda ECON mode, you may be wondering: “What does the ECON button do?” The Honda Econ button saves you money on gas when engaged by changing the settings on a variety of different systems, including:

• Throttle – Throttle response is changed at highway speeds to help reduce acceleration. If you’re a race-minded driver around Seattle, you’ll likely leave the Econ button disengaged.
  • Transmission – The gear shifts in the transmission are recalibrated to save money at the pump by shifting at lower RPMs.
  • Cruise Control – When cruise control is engaged, the vehicle will be less likely to downshift in order to maintain its speed. This could lead to slight speed variation on hills, but it will save money on gas.
  • Air Conditioning – It may take a bit more time to cool off the car, but it’s unlikely you’ll encounter a sweltering summer in Seattle. With the Econ button engaged, the air conditioner compressor will turn on and off more often, noticeably improving fuel economy.

Does Honda’s ECON Button Save Gas?​

So, does the ECON button gas on your commute? One of the main reasons you’re saving gas is through pedal power reduction. This enables your car to adjust to power when in ECON mode so the vehicle’s transmission can move accordingly. With less power running through your vehicle, you’ll undoubtedly save more fuel. The ECON button model also provides a smoother and more gentle ride and easier acceleration when you press on the pedal.

When Should I Not Use Honda’s ECON Button?​

• On very hot days.
  • When merging on and off the highway
  • Overtaking other vehicles on the road.
  • Towing large amounts.
  • On dangerous roads steep hills.
You shouldn’t use Honda’s Econ button if you’re merging onto a highway, since you’ll need to accelerate quite rapidly. If you’re driving down precarious roads, you should also keep your Honda’s ECON mode button disengaged, since both throttle response and transmission change with the Econ button on.

When to Use Honda ECON Mode Button​

• Cruising at a steady pace on the highway
  • Normal city driving conditions
  • Areas where the terrain remains relatively flat
  • You aren’t towing anything
  • On days that aren’t unbearably hot and you won’t need to use max A/C for long
If you are wondering when to use the Econ button, the answer is most daily driving is fine. As long as you aren’t going to need to accelerate quickly or on challenging roadways, the Honda Econ mode button can be safely engaged and provide some fuel-saving results.

Econ is trash and made no difference when I tested it on our CRV. What's funny is the sales guy made it seem like a huge deal (mpg-wise) when we test drove it. He made it seem like we'd go from 30mpg to 40mpg with the way he was hyping it up. Yeah, lol....
I test drove an Accord back in the 90's and it had a button on the gearshift that turned on/off OD. The sales guy told me it was to stiffen up the suspension.......

A salesman hyping some feature he knows little about? Say it isn't so!

Yeah, it's way less useful than they make it out to be. I will say it does make a difference though under the right conditions.

Did you drive across the Rockies?
If you did and took I70 you were at 11,000 feet at the tunnel.
Nope! We went through KS, OK panhandle, touched TX briefly, then NM and AZ. I think Flagstaff was highest elevation we hit (7000'). So I misspoke in my first post.

A salesman hyping some feature he knows little about? Say it isn't so!
I dun belie it!

Wife and I were looking at Palisades before we got our Odyssey. Hyundai salesman asks what else we were looking at to compare so I said Highlanders. He goes, "oh yeah, this bad boy has the V6 in it versus Highlanders putting only 4 cylinders in theirs!"

"I'm gonna go over here now..."

Good, I thought Econ mode got the car into top gear more quickly. Really good mpg. I vote for the shorter oci.
Current trip:
683DDDF2-199C-46FD-B0C5-FC4FC8545EBF.jpeg

Total trip:
2F048B1A-F5BD-4158-A833-F8D53176964E.jpeg

My Mom has an '18 or '19 CR-V and the ECON mode turns it into a dog 😳

Now in our daughter's '12 Civic (1.8L), it has ECON mode and you can definitely feel it is "weaker", but not a dog like the CR-V. Less weight ?? With it turned on and in some conditions, it definitely works. I drove on the interstate, set the cruise control at 60-65, and turned it on. The MPG was just over 50 mph (I took pictures ~5 minutes apart showing it wasn't the bogus, inflated number like if you let off the gas or are going downhill).

I think the ECON mode just affects the transmission shift points but in either mode your engine will be running at efficient low RPMs. You should see higher rpm on the grades.

Sounds like a great trip.

I think the ECON mode just affects the transmission shift points but in either mode your engine will be running at efficient low RPMs. You should see higher rpm on the grades.

Someone posted above what all ECON mode does. ;)

Thanks for the report! I'm shopping for a something to replace an older Pilot. Most of my driving is local suburbia, but a car that doesn't seem under powered at 80 on cross country trips is important. Sounds like the CR-V does well on the highway without swilling fuel.

I didn't read the link above but I am 100% confident it does more than that. It changes the throttle position %, it reduces the AC compressor usage (shorter cycles maybe ??), even something related to the alternator, as I recall from the owner's manual.

Back