Roadside Assistance Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMA - the American Motorcyclist Association is the best deal going. Auto renewal of membership includes roadside for all members of family and all types of vehicles incuding RV, auto, motorcycle. Towing up to 35 miles.

Some of best discounts on car rental with Hertz and Budget when travelling.

I'm an AMA member and I have their roadside assistance. My parents do also. They've used the assistance twice or three times over the years. Once it was good, once it was very, very slow, and I can't recall for certain whether they've used it a third time or not.

I've only tried to use them once, and the same thing happened to me that happened to my parents on their bad experience: AMA's operator told me when to expect a service vehicle (an hour and a half to two hours later, though I was in a huge metropolis at the time). After the time had elapsed and the service or carrier vehicle should have arrived, the AMA called me back and said the service provider had cancelled, that a different company was being dispatched by AMA, and that it would be a couple more hours. Since that _exact_ story had been given when my parents had to wait about 4 hours for help several months before (also in a large city), I decided this was a pattern rather than a coincidence. I called someone else for help, stowed the bike at a nearby business temporarily, went and rented a U-haul trailer, and hauled the bike home.

I'm still an AMA member, but I don't have a lot of confidence in their roadside assistance program. Hopefully I'll never _really_ need it.

I think anyone can have a problem with any company, maybe not fair to blame AMA on a tow company performance which seems like might be an issue in your area.
If the OP researches it, I think he will find the same good and bad stories for any service.

For my daughter, locked keys in car one time, towing arrived within a reasonable time and opened her car door for her. Another time car wouldn't start, dead battery, got her going to get a new battery or alt, two other occasions car had to be towed, water pump I think or maybe hose/ radiator. Cant remember, sounds like a lot of issues with the car but wasn't really, that was over a 4 year period in a car with over 140,000 miles and she wasn't one to be proactive to prevent issues as much as I tried...*L*
2002 GrandAm GT car was about 11 years oldish then, now retired :eek:)

Last edited:
This thread is a bit stale, but I wanted to offer something regarding the AMA's roadside plan. I've had it for some years since It's a freebie with auto renewal. I tired long ago of the AAA's gouging for every family member separately. Today, my wife had cause to use it for the first time. She had a flat when she was ready to leave work. She called AMA road service and got a text from a garage telling her that it would be an hour. 10 minutes later, someone was there to mount the temp spare. Turns out, their contracted hauler was an operator 3 blocks away. I've also heard good and real bad on the AMA contractors.

The thing with the AMA road coverage is hidden in the fine print. They will not cover you for any sort of winching work ( like winching you out of a ditch) and will not tow from accident damage. Mechanical breakdowns, out of gas, flat tires, only. Anything else is on you.

I've had AAA for years on my car and truck with my motorcycle added under their RV policy for a little more per year. I don't remember how much more but it isn't much more. It covers tows up to 150 miles. I've never had to use it but it's worth it for the added peace of mind.

I'm thinking about AAA for the 1st time ever. The wife had a battery issue the other week, I was away. That's all fixed up now, just thinking about other potential issues. We don't have a spare vehicle anymore, besides warm weather motorcycles.

I have a ROK membership , have used it twice , Once for gas after changing to a different style petcock and when a bikemaster lithium died after a week .They had no jumpers that were small enough for a bike . I don't think it would have helped though . Guy was nice enough but rough on the bike , had no regard for painted or plastic pieces .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back