Roadside Americana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: QuOk
I just drove past that first place on 301 last week i think.
Florida north of Ocala i believe.

That's the one!

Originally Posted By: Turk
Oh my gosh, you gotta drive northern Minnesota. Lots of those neat places... :)

Do tell! MN is one of the few states that I've never been to!

As a young boy, from the mid 1950s to the early 1960s, my family made many trips from Pa. & NY. to Kansas, Texas & Oklahoma. I will never forget those trips, always on route66, there was so much to see, all the different state auto tags, the motels, restaurants & gas stations. For some reason we always ate at Howard Johnsons when possible & stayed over night at some of the coolest motels, just crazy.
Well, as fate would have it, I ended up in Oklahoma where one of the largest original, stretches of Route66 still exists, still fun to get on it for a while & bring back good memories.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Route 66 is highway roadtrip I always thought I'd like to take back in the day and end up in Los Angeles. I never really been on route 66, but a few times on I-40 which takes the approximate route has always been an exciting drive to me.

We did the 66 trip when I bought my 82 MB 300CD a few years back. We didnt do the IL portion though... GREAT trip, stopped at lots of famous spots and some neat hotels, etc.

Nice, did you take it all the way to the west coast? I'd like to have taken that route back in the 60's and 70's if I were of age back then. I imagine it probably was already decling even by then with the interstate.

I am fortunate to live on Rt 66 in fact THE route 66 museum is but 4 blocks from where I sit. Beginning real soon I am going to start a RT 66 thread. Heck we have 10's of hundreds of classic cars roll thru here weekly.
Also the Pontiac/Oakland Museum is here. Great eye Candy!

Originally Posted By: salesrep
I am fortunate to live on Rt 66 in fact THE route 66 museum is but 4 blocks from where I sit. Beginning real soon I am going to start a RT 66 thread. Heck we have 10's of hundreds of classic cars roll thru here weekly.
Also the Pontiac/Oakland Museum is here. Great eye Candy!

Where are you located??

That picture of the building with "Fireworks" on the end is an old "Stuckeys" building. There is one just up Interstate 55 from me at Como MS that is used now as a farm implement auction house. It was once a mobile home dealer as well.

We took a trip out west in 08 and '11 on I-40 and on the last trip out, drove the old route 66 roadway as much as possible.

I have pictures and must open a Photobucket account to share them I guess.

I drove to Starke, Florida two times to get the Dynatest falling weight deflectometer truck fixed.
I ate at the Powell's Dairy Freeze once and stayed at the Best Western near it.

I travelled some of what is left of Route 66 in New Mexico. And I love to travel on old highways and back country roads. They are a lot more fun than the interstates. Unless you want to get somewhere fast the back roads are the place to be. I have found all kinds of interesting stuff to photograph and all kinds of interesting stories. The interstates are sterile in comparison.

Originally Posted By: ddrumman2004
We took a trip out west in 08 and '11 on I-40 and on the last trip out, drove the old route 66 roadway as much as possible.

I have pictures and must open a Photobucket account to share them I guess.

I would be interested in seeing those route 66 pics.

rt66-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Pontiac Il

I am south of you just north of Granite City three blocks off Chain Of Rocks Rd(Old 66) about 4 miles from the river.

I-40 is the highway going through Arizona, right? I can't remember if it was I-40 or I-44. I did not like that highway. I liked what was left of the old Route 66 road instead. I went on I-40 (or I-44) to the Grand Canyon several years ago. On the way back I went through the Navajo Indian Reservation which was quiet and a nice drive. The only problem is sometimes there are bad dust storms when it is windy. I would rather go through the Navajo Indian Reservation than that highway to the south. Occasionally some nice views on the Navajo Indian Reservation and extremely few road signs!

Yeah I-40 goes across the country east and west, and I-44 was also part of the interstate I think that bypassed route 66. It runs roughly North and South through St Louis and OKC. I've been on those interstate several times. They're probably nothing as scenic as route 66 was.

Thanks, I thought it was I-40 but I could not remember for sure. I have to say they were doing a lot of maintenance at the time so that was one reason it was bad. The old Route 66 sections were really nice, with some historic stuff.

Have you ever driven through the Navajo Indian Reservation? It is quiet and very, very few road signs.

I've never driven through the Navajo Reservation. I use to live in Oklahoma which has a lot of native culture. I've been to the Santa Fe area that's off a little ways from I-40. You can really be out in the middle of no where in Pueblo areas. But west Texas is probably one of the most isolated places I've been through. It's not related to I-40/route 66 but I-10 the most southern east-west route is one of my favorites.

If you ever go through the Navajo Indian Reservation just be sure to have plenty of gas. It is a huge reservation! And there are not too many gas stations. It is a quiet, nice drive, much better than the interstates in my opinion. One thing I noticed was that there were very few road signs and I liked that.

I have been to and through the Navajo Indian Reservation several times. I went to Monument Valley there. I went to the Hubble Trading Post. I went to the capital which is Window Rock and went through a museum there. And I went to the Thunderbird Inn and went through the canyon there-Canyon de Chelly-not sure of exact spelling. Also went through Canyon del Morte. Not sure of exact spelling. I saw Spider Rock (very important to Navajo) and Mummy Cave. It takes all day to go through the canyons in 6 wheel drive old troop carriers. Believe me, worth the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back