Roadkill trip in a '55 Chevy BelAir wagon

This is the quality content I love seeing. Just something about old car adventures that I love, roadkill/Vice grip garage style or whatever, it just seems like a great time. Never seen mufflers blow apart like that though!
I've blown out a muffler on a car that was most likely running rich or possibly misfiring an extended period of time (got cherry red hot, blew out a hole in the side and it was LOUD) ; but never in as dramatic a fashion as described!

And it is true.. Road trips are one of the great joys in life. The trip is always better than the destination..

Nice car, what a wild display of events you went through getting it back home. The car looks like it’s in good shape from what we can see. I would love to have a 2 door Nomad someday.
It is the "events you go through getting it back home" that truly make.. the difference.

:)

Wow! That sounds like any number of my trips with antique cars. I have a similarly crazy story, but it involved broken rocker studs, bent pushrods and successful roadside repairs during thunderstorms.

Sounds like an epic trip that will be remembered forever. GOOD JOB!

I have no regrets about this trip at all. If given the option, knowing what we would've gotten into, I wouldn't have done it any different. We had a lot of fun on this trip. Every time the car would quit, we'd pull off the road, look at each other, and start laughing. Here we go again! lol Get it running and proceed to do a 100 ft long 2nd gear burnout while merging back into traffic. I'm 33, he's 71, yet we both felt like a couple of teenagers on an adventure. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

You didn't run into a bunch of other cars pulling small trailers by chance? A bunch of people I know were participating in a drag car / event called SickWeek.

Reminds me of picking up my brother’s newly purchased custom ‘83 CJ-7 in southern Chicago-great looker, stroker 350 (383) would NEVER have made it out of Chicagoland (HG surface on one side of the block was burned beyond repair between 2 cylinders). Trailered it back with my Ram & a U-Haul Auto Hauler trailer, thank God!!

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2022
Man that's my idea of a road trip nightmare. I'd rather wrench in the garage and drive on the road trip.

I was on some trips like this when I was young because nobody in my group could afford anything decent. Lying on a wet parking lot in the rain in the dark replacing the 2nd starter because the 1st one the auto parts store 2 miles away gave us didn't fit still doesn't bring a smile when remembered. Perspective and circumstance make all the difference. Looks like a fun car if it isn't posessed.