Road trip exceeds OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I say you'll be fine. M1 is suitable for 10,000 miles. Incidentally, that brings back memories. When I was a kid, my parents would take us in the motorhome on some ungodly long trips, like to Alaska and back, and he never once stopped to do an oil change on the big block Chevy. It just ran on ordinary 10w-30 conventional of the day, and he'd change it when he got back. The highway trips were easy on it. He just made sure he carried anything necessary for top up, which was Quaker State 10w-30.

If you go to those places from your location, that's around a 4,000 mile trip. If it puts you 1,500 miles over the 5,000 OLM, that means your M1 5W30 has been in your engine for about 2,500 miles. Enjoy your trip, change the oil when you get back.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.
Change the oil before I leave along with all the other checks suggested and enjoy the trip

Originally Posted By: Kira
One bloke suggested checking tire pressure (all 5 wheels) so I'll add cracking the lug nuts (and possibly even anti-seizing them). Make sure the lug wrench's socket fits the nuts acceptably-bring a good long wrench if not.

Maybe I am wrong on this, but everything I have ever read says AS on wheel lug nuts is a bad idea.

One bloke suggested checking tire pressure (all 5 wheels) so I'll add cracking the lug nuts (and possibly even anti-seizing them). Make sure the lug wrench's socket fits the nuts acceptably-bring a good long wrench if not.

Here is what I meant to say. I was not able to edit original post - got timed out.

Using AS on wheel lug nuts is a hotly debated issue and you will find many discussions on the net and here at BITOG. AS will not cause lug nuts to come loose but could lead to over-torquing and possibly breaking a stud. Some manufacturers give wheel nut torque specs for dry and lubricated threads. Without this you are just guessing. Some assume AS will neatly offset friction from accumulated dirt/rust. I do not understand how anyone could be comfortable making that assumption.

Originally Posted By: ZTime33
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.
Change the oil before I leave along with all the other checks suggested and enjoy the trip

You will be fine...change the oil before you go, then check it regularly until you get back.

Data points from my personal experience to add weight to my recommendation.

New Colorado has 15,000km service intervals, and an OLM
* bought it as a demonstrator with 4,600km on the clock, and 62% of the oil life consumed. I'm now at 8,000+km, and only down to 76% consumed...one 900km round trip in 26 hours, and it didn't drop 1%....idle bad, highways good.
* Holden (GM) state that the OLM on "ideal" (read highway) conditions can exceed the service interval, change annually.
* They also state that you should change within 1,000km of "0%"...there's a safety factor.

Mobil, back when I had a 1990 4Runner, and after pushing the point that Warranty was long gone suggested that annual changes with M1 0W-40 were fine...whether you did 5,000km in that year, or 35,000km....again idle bad, highway good.

Originally Posted By: artbuc

Maybe I am wrong on this, but everything I have ever read says AS on wheel lug nuts is a bad idea.

It's a really bad idea.

if you want to feel extra safe, get yourself a jump pack or several portable items that can at least provide you with
-jump start
-air compressor
-usb or other power port for phone
-(flash light)

Like Murphy's Law or Insurance, by nature of you buying it, you won't ever need to use it...If you mull it over, but don't buy it, you've cursed yourself to some bad luck where you will need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back